Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Gary O'Neil

Worthy of his own thread today. In a team of solid performances, O''Neil''s contribution was massive, MOTM for me.
Used the ball well, broke up play, put some crunching tackles in and used his experience to frustrate the life out of Swansea.
I didn''t think he''d get a sniff in the first team and didn''t understand why we''d kept him, but it was evident to see today, top performance.

He''s also the best corner taker we have IMO and over the course of a game that can make a huge impact.

Very good today and perhaps it was no coincidence that we seemed to be well organised and focussed on our defensive shape for the whole game.

Another plus for our young manager. It seems he can keep the squad happy even those who aren''t regulars. This means they produce when called upon. We''ve seen that every time he''s brought someone in.  

Has consistently shown his class and valuable member of the squad. No surprise he did so well today, shame it took Redmond''s injury for him to start a game and reveal that to most fans

Massively underrated.

Was an awesome player for Portsmouth and West Ham.

People have short memories. Bloke is quality and can pass a ball to a yellow shirt unlike the tool tettey

Played pretty well, he also took a yellow for the team late-on, stopping what could have been a dangerous break. Certainly good to have as experienced back-up.

He is a good experienced Premier league player.

I like him, AN has tended to bring him on as a sub to control a game & kill it off if we are winning with twenty minutes to go say. He is calm, composed & this can have a positive effect on those around him.

I was surprised to see him given a start today, but I''m glad he was & that he maintained his high standards.

[quote user="alartz"]Massively underrated.

People have short memories. Bloke is quality and can pass a ball to a yellow shirt unlike the tool tettey[/quote]

Harsh to call Tettey a ''tool.'' His passing isn''t his best attribute but he is brilliant at breaking up play and is another who gives 100%. Be interesting to see if Mulumbu gets back in now.

O'' Neil completed 39 out of 45 passes and Tettey was 31 out of 39. So it turns out "the tool Tettey" can indeed pass to a yellow shirt. 31 times.

I thought Tettey played very well yesterday.

[quote user="alartz"]Massively underrated.

People have short memories. Bloke is quality and can pass a ball to a yellow shirt unlike the tool tettey[/quote]

I don''t think Tettey is the one who is a tool. I think anyone who so unecessarily calls the player who has probably been our most consistent and important midfielder this season a tool is a tool.

Pleased to see O''Neill do well. Seems a good bloke who won''t let us down when called upon. Would not want to see him starting though against more athletic teams who are quicker on the break. Swansea suited him as they like to play the ball in front of joh a lot. Not sure he would have the legs to keep up with certain other midfields which us why Mulumbu will no doubt come in for those games.

Good player, leads by example, adds some much needed experience to what has been a relatively naive midfield at times.

A lot of fans don''t seem to rate him as he''s not a big name and he doesn''t do the spectacular stuff but for above and his set pieces, I''d have him in the team more often that not.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="alartz"]Massively underrated.

I don''t think Tettey is the one who is a tool. I think anyone who so unecessarily calls the player who has probably been our most consistent and important midfielder this season a tool is a tool.

Pleased to see O''Neill do well. Seems a good bloke who won''t let us down when called upon. Would not want to see him starting though against more athletic teams who are quicker on the break. Swansea suited him as they like to play the ball in front of joh a lot. Not sure he would have the legs to keep up with certain other midfields which us why Mulumbu will no doubt come in for those games.[/quote]Amen to that Jim[Y]

Hes a steady player. Had an ok game. Made a couple of mistakes. He got the yellow but it was his fault he lost the ball in first place. Should have shot or ran into corner.

[quote user="NCFC198"] it was his fault he lost the ball in first place. Should have shot or ran into corner.[/quote]

It was a way out and as he himself admitted was on his weaker foot; as for heading for the corner pace isnt his strong point; he did the professional thing and kept possession by passing safely to a yellow shirt; it was the return pass (wisdom?) that was short and caused the problem!

With O''Neil coming in and playing that well and with Mulumbu now available I''m slightly wondering how much of a future Dorrans has here.

One of the qualities O''Neil has that can be easy to underrate is his leadership- I only watched via a stream but you could see him talking and organising his team mates throughout the game.

Let''s not get carried away with O''Neil, he did indeed do well, but Swansea didn''t exactly throw the kitchen sink at us and for 60 minutes we just sat back with about 30 % possession, not like our normal style.

Tettey, Bennett and Wisdom made us look solid, Bassong got rid of the ball when needed and Brady was outstanding.

I''m looking to a long term Mulumbu / Tettey backbone with Wes / Dorrans / Howson / Brady / Redmond / Jarvis options to get us the goals.

The ironic thing was no Martin & Whittaker and we looked well organised with a clean sheet.

O''Neil did well enough to push for a start next game but can see Mulumbu being back in.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="NCFC198"] it was his fault he lost the ball in first place. Should have shot or ran into corner.[/quote]

It was a way out and as he himself admitted was on his weaker foot; as for heading for the corner pace isn''t his strong point; he did the professional thing and kept possession by passing safely to a yellow shirt; it was the return pass (wisdom?) that was short and caused the problem![/quote]

weaker foot or not, a players instinct in that position should be to hit it. there was no point in him making the run if not. if he shoots, and hits row z it would have waisted more time. going to the corner flag does not involve speed, hes a defensive midfielder so should have been able to head in that direction whilst shielding the ball. he made the wrong choice.

still had an ok game and as i said always steady and reliable. got caught in possession a couple of times.