Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Huckerby Shouldn't Play Left Side Next Year

With the signing of Thorne it looks likely that NIgel has Hucks pencilled into play wide left all year. I think this is mistake for two reasons :

Firstly why have your best player stuck out on the left wing it makes no sense

Secondly it was obvious last year, particular towards the end of the season, he wasn''t interested in tracking back that much this created basically a lope sided team (not a good thing when playing 4-4-2) any manager worth his salt will work out that this is a sersious weakness - get one of your strikers to move wide right basically sitting on drury this with the right winger side player totally out numbers poor drury and can lead to goals galore for the opposition especially if they have a attacking full back.

The solution IMO is to put Mcveigh on the left Hucks up front and drop Leon Harsh on Leon but I think it will create a more balanced team which is vital when playing 4-4-2 and improve defensive performance. 

how about playing three up front?

either:

------ashton-----mckenzie------
----------huckerby-------------

or

-----ashton------mckenzie-------
---------huckerby----------------

Abit like man u had theres.

so: from current players
----------Ashton-----Mckenzie-------
--------------Huckerby--------------
---McVeigh--------------Jonson------
---------------Jarrett----------------
-Drury-Shackel--------Doherty-Lous-Jean
--------------Green------------------

Given are defensive record last year playing with 5 Centre Forwards on the pitch is a step too far (although it would be good to watch!!) my preference is still to drop McKenzie and get a proper balance to the team something which was missing all last year. When we ended up playing 4-2-4 practically and conceding far too many goals. My concern is that we will score the goals to get to the play offs but without sorting out the defending we will only make the play offs at best. Plus it''s the defending as a team rather than just the back four - something I feel was slightly overlooking last year - yes - there were mistakes but often it was the players in front on the back four making them as much as the defence.

Why shouldnt we play huckerby on the left!? He was our best consistant attacking player last season! Ok, i actually thought hes tracking bak improved as the season went on!

Who can remember the last season we had in the championship, and huckerby played half of that season! He was absouletly amazing! He tore defences apart! he has a good cross on him, the defenders back off all day, because they are affaird of wat he is goin 2 do! He has a gud left and right foot! gud shot, rememeber arsenal away, great strike!

He is clearly 2 good for the championship!

And if we play him in the left again, he will cause all sorts of trouble for all the championship defences!

and anyway hes not a natural goalscorer so.

So any one with a decent enough memory, to remember last championship season (division 1), i think huckerby was amazing, and actually won the Division 1 player of the season, i think!

The 4-4-2 diamond formation (basically what you put) is a good formation AJ, but only if the whole team is fit and understands an exact role - I believe it is more complicated than your standard 4-4-2.

It puts massive strain on the people who play top and bottom of the diamond and you have to be super fit (regardless of which sport) to be able to stick it out for 90 mins. As a hockey player, I am usually top of the diamond, and am quite similar to Hucks in the way he moves around the pitch and runs at players, and like him sometimes forget that my duties do lie in defence as well (not as often, and I do get back quickly)!! This is the thing....Jarrett or whoever sits at the bottom of the diamond would have to be super fit, and be able to control the whole game. When it becomes defensive, it is easier to change the formation so bottom of diamond drops slightly to just in front of the defenders as a both a link to the midfield and first defensive block, and then top of diamond drops back to a regular centre of midfield....here I don''t believe Hucks would be effective enough in the tackles.

I think you may have a type error in the first bit where you show Deano, Leon and Hucks up front. Leon could be the other guy to sit behind the front 2..is that what you meant?

AJ, what about Safri??? IMO he is our best midfielder and would be lost without him, look at the impact made last season when Holt was dropped for him. I would much rather see this line up;

Green

Jean Doherty Shackell Drury

Jonson Francis Safri Huckerby

Ashton Mckenzie

Our last term in the championship, Drury looked class and the left side never looked weak defensively. Anyway, Huckerby marked Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the Prems best wingers out the game at FCR so he can get back when he wants.

I think Hucks has to stay on the left, when we won the league we were unstoppable when we had three strikers playing.

As is mentioned he doesnt like defending, I dont think ive seen him make more then ten tackles in a yellow shirt, or competed for no more than say five headers. Infact there were several times last season when Leon would track back instead because hucks was so lazy.

But seeing as he always hangs around on the left wing we should leave him there, but make sure Safri stays back to cover the left side.

Wiz - You dont think he will be off do you?!

Its funny, was chatting to a friend of mine whos a scouser fan, and we both said that he would be very effective in a top 6 team when there wasnt as much defensive pressure on him. Lets hope they all bought the "Too good for fizzy, not good enough for the prem" rubbish!

I personally think that Huckerby will be fine this year on the left last year drury struggled to cope with premier/world class right wingers and therefore needed Hucks to help out therefore stopping us going forward as much but this season it will be just like having a 4-3-3 with drury being able to cope with wingers such as curry so that will mean Hucks will be able to push forward a lot more. Like the 5-3 game vs burnley witch was one of the best game ive seen huckerby play in a yellow shirt.

[quote]Wiz - You dont think he will be off do you?! Its funny, was chatting to a friend of mine whos a scouser fan, and we both said that he would be very effective in a top 6 team when there wasnt as much ...[/quote]

Yes, I''m really worried Trent. I believe the club is desperately strapped for cash, and could sell anyone if the price is right!.

[quote]he did play left-ish last time we were in div 1 and he was superb[/quote]

Replace Svensson with Ashton and who knows how many we could score. (Providing everyone stays fit )