Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

African Cup

January is approaching and with that comes the start of the African Cup of nations.

DR Congo and Cameroon have both qualified which means NCFC are going to be without Mbokani, Bassong and Mulumbu, potentially for an entire month.

For me, these are key players to our success this year, and we are likely to suffer or look ''ordinary'' without them.

How will we do without them? Are you concerned?

Yes ... But I''m sure Alex Neil has mitigation plans in mind.

Even more reason for another CB in the case of Bassong.

Mulumbu can be covered but his quality is still a loss.

Mbokani going could be a problem especially if Laffs moves on

is Bassong even a definite for the Cameroon squad? As far as I know he didn''t play in the last tournament with them - but I do see he has travelled with them for the international break.

Mulumbu coming back from fitness so we haven''t really seen what he can do yet - we''ve got a lot of midfield depth so I don''t think his absence would be the end of the world.

Mbokani is a bigger worry with no real other options if we let Laffs go. He''s a regular for Congo and actually has a goal every other game for them!

Luckily January is also a transfer window, I''m sure Sir AN already has his plans in place - we trust in him!

Just to say that the next ACON is scheduled for 2017. The previous one being in 2015. So we''re going to be okay on that score.

The African Cup of Nations is in Gabon in 2017, but the African Nations championship is in January/February 2016.

From what I understand the rules for the 2016 competition only allow a player to compete for their country if they play in the domestic league of that same country i.e. a player selected for Rwanda would have to be playing in the Rwanda domestic league.

So it shouldn''t affect us if I understand it correctly.

Having made a quick Google you are right Kenneth - problems solved for a year at least!

[quote user="YorkshirePudding"]No Jacko, there is an african nations championship in 2016 that our squad will be impacted by.[/quote]

To be fair the poster has clearly said African Cup of Nations there which takes place next year.

I must admit I wasn''t aware of the existence of the African Nations Championship, but a trawl Wikipedia suggests as alluded to above that''s for domestic based players only. So non of Mbokani, Mulumubu or Bassong are going to be caught by this.

Off topic, but it seems like a daft idea for a competition, particularly as it''s such a watered down tournament quality wise?

When you consider that the ACON is every 2 years and also that there is a World Cup every 4 years then African countries aren''t exactly short of opportunities to participate in tournament football.

I''m not the sharpest... So let get this right...

The African cup that normally affects the Toure''s, Bony''s and Gervinho''s of this world isn''t going ahead this new year?

If true - that''s a result!

The three players noted are key to our team, a backbone if you like...

It does underline the importance they have to our squad though. I wouldn''t have fancied facing Stoke, Liverpool, Bournemouth and Southampton without those 3!

Bloody hell I''m glad I read to the end of that thread. Losing any three squad players at once to non injury would have been a nightmare.

Yep, a nightmare that we have 15 mo the to avoid by bolstering the strike force and the defence. It .might seem like a long time but we''ll only have 3 opportunities to acquire the necessary players, this Jan, next summer and Jan 2017.