Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Dweight Gayle

If we can get £8m for Grabban it would look better value. His performance against Liverpool at the end of last season stands out and shows what he''s capable of in this division, and with a run of games I think he could do well for us.

only player from below our level I''d like to sign for that kinda money would be Afobe - but Wolves won''t let him go

A player chomping at the bit, where he would fit in with mbokani starting and Jerome at number 2 I do not know.

But a big improvement on Grabban

We need to move very quickly, if this is possible an AN can work out how to have him in many first team games great, but with Redmond, Jarvis and hoops in particular positions can they all play. System may need to change.

As always an exciting time as players can come in and make a massive difference to your starting line up, let us hope defensively and in our attack we can improve what we have.

Surely we''re not going to pay £11m for someone who''s only played in 6 league games for the first team this season without scoring? Especially when we desperately need a centre half.

As has been said though, if Hooper and Lafferty go, we do need another striker.

This would be a completely ridiculous signing, particularly at that price. Look at our playing style, we play almost exclusively with 1 up front at all times. That is a role which Gayle struggled with throughout his time at Palace.

He''s thrived more when being played off a strike partner. How many times are Norwich realistically going to be able to give that platform? At home to a lesser side (even then we''d probably still play 1 up front) or if we''re chasing a game with 20 minutes to go.

We simple cannot afford to spend that kind of money on a player who will only be used in a couple of limited scenarios. That''s one of the reasons Gary Hooper had been farmed out on loan. They''re quite a similar style of player.

In the last hour of the summer window the SSN reporter implied that we''d let it be known there were likely to be a few deals before the window closed.

Johnson was the surprise one, but I''m pretty sure we''d have signed Gayle and sold Grabban had Wickham not picked up an injury that day. I think AN sees Gayle as both a similar type of player to, and an upgrade on, Grabban and so do I.

It''s a fair point Fuzzar.

I accept we definitely tried to sign him on deadline day in the last window, of that there is no doubt. Pardew has even said as much and that he couldn''t allow Gayle to leave because they couldn''t sign someone themselves.

What I would say, is that if we rated Gayle that highly in comparison to Grabban then how come we were making an 11th hour bid for him and not trying to get the business done much earlier in the window? As clearly, there was interest in Grabban throughout the summer.

Even when Grabban went AWOL on 25 August there was still a fair bit of time before the window shut at the end of the month to get something done. Yet we left it late. Were we really that keen on him?

It''s also worth remembering that we made a couple of curious bids on deadline day. We tried to sign Steven Naismith. That was also an odd deal as I think Everton fans agree his best position is probably that of a second striker or a number 10. So I don''t actually think he was really what we needed (on the striker front) and it looked a bit desperate from the outside.

Gayle hasn''t pulled up any trees this season (no pun intended) in the lone striker role and I''ve seen nothing to suggest that he''s got the physicality or the presence which are required to play that role for Norwich successfully - in the way that Jerome, Mbokani or even Grabban have done in the Premiership and Championship.

I agree we certainly looked a little desperate in the last knockings of that window, but we were consistently linked with Gayle this summer.

Who knows why we didn''t move earlier - haggling on price at both ends of the deal perhaps? I have only speculation. But I still feel we will be interested in trading along the lines of the general figures mentioned above.

I see him offering something different from Jerome and Mbokani as he''s very quick, mobile and dangerous on the shoulder of the defender. This all on the assumption that Hooper and/or Lafferty will also be gone.

As you say, we simply don''t know what the background to any transfer deal is, so it''s difficult to say.

I have my reservations about Gayle for the reasons stated above, but if Neil signs him then that''s fair enough. He knows what he''s doing which is why is he doing it for real and I offer my opinions on an internet forum.

IMO we have to wait and see - if AN rates the guy and brings him in then we go with it - I know a few Palace fans who rate him but he''s never really had a run of games; clearly defence is the main priority for us and we will hopefully move quickly on that, but with the Laffs and Hooper situation we may be after a striker too.

Scoring goals isn''t a problem. £11 million on the defence please

Couldn''t agree with these posts more. I honestly don''t think signing Gayle is a priority and will make the difference between us surviving or going at the end of the season. A good defender on the other hand....