Sign in to follow this  
nu_matik

Lafferty value / conundrum...

Steve Evans has been the first to step and throw his hat in the ring for Lafferty. We have read in the Pink Un article that he and AN are buddies and we''ve already worked with him with the loans to Rotherham... I personally think a club like Leeds is perfect for Lafferty and the fans will love his style and antics. We can see he clearly has talent and it''s understandable his frustrations have left him speaking out about a move... but what would the price be? He can score a goal and change a match... but can''t get a game. How does this affect his price tag?

Thoughts?

[quote user="nu_matik"]Steve Evans has been the first to step and throw his hat in the ring for Lafferty. We have read in the Pink Un article that he and AN are buddies and we''ve already worked with him with the loans to Rotherham... I personally think a club like Leeds is perfect for Lafferty and the fans will love his style and antics. We can see he clearly has talent and it''s understandable his frustrations have left him speaking out about a move... but what would the price be? He can score a goal and change a match... but can''t get a game. How does this affect his price tag?

Thoughts?[/quote]
When did he score these goals and change matches for us, remind me?

Is this another example of a player having a greater reputation than he possibly deserves because he is not playing? Ryan Bennett was achieving similar status recently. We will never know his true worth until AN gives him a few games.

[quote user="Red Rufus"]Is this another example of a player having a greater reputation than he possibly deserves because he is not playing? Ryan Bennett was achieving similar status recently. We will never know his true worth until AN gives him a few games.[/quote]

Players in our squad are good players, so it isn''t a case of saying they are better than what is in the first team, it is simply that there are players ahead of them and they have to fight to get their chance to get a look in.  Lafferty is ome of those that could make an impact, if he was given a run in the team - as could others that haven''t had a real look in yet  - Vadis, Rudd, Eliot Bennett at RB or wing back, others who are out on loan too - Toffolo for instance.  They are all good players and could do a job if required to.  Ryan Bennett has I think proved he is up to the job, as has O''Neil recently.   Lafferty is right there on the fringe of being included in the team - but Jerome and Mbokani are always going to be ahead of him in the reckoning for a place as lone striker and Grabban too. If or when he gets his chance, Lafferty has to take it and make an impact - as I think Ryan Bennett has. Same with Wisdom and O''Niel, both had a good game last week, so the squad members are proving themselves.  I was a bit surprised Rudd wasn''t  given a chance, but like the others will have to bide his time and be ready when the time comes.  It all makes for an exciting prospect, knowing that we have such a good squad - I hope Lafferty stays and gets his chance - he definitely scores goals and did well for us at the start of last season - but also, at his stage of career and with the international tournament coming up - he needs to be playing regularly. 

Morty, you may choose to be awkward, but the rest of us amd many managers happened to see him score for 7 for Northern Ireland and capture plenty of column inches during Euro qualifiers. We all know he hasn''t really featured for us, and just for clarity, I don''t like the guys personality and believe it''s fair that Mbokani, Jerome and Grabban are getting time ahead of him... but that''s not my question is it? There is interest and I''m sure there will be more... but what at what price will he leave?

[quote user="nu_matik"]Morty, you may choose to be awkward, but the rest of us amd many managers happened to see him score for 7 for Northern Ireland and capture plenty of column inches during Euro qualifiers. We all know he hasn''t really featured for us, and just for clarity, I don''t like the guys personality and believe it''s fair that Mbokani, Jerome and Grabban are getting time ahead of him... but that''s not my question is it? There is interest and I''m sure there will be more... but what at what price will he leave?[/quote]
I am not " choosing to be awkward" in the slightest.
But we have done to death the debate about his international goals, and the quality of the opposition he scored against. 
All he changed for us was our yellow card count. He is just this seasons Becchio.
He will leave for " undisclosed".

Can''t imagine it being more than a £2-£2.5m (valued at 2.1on transfermrkt)

He''s contracted with us until summer 2017 so could be loaned if not sold - but if we''re just going to loan him out and not play him we may as well just let him go.

He''s played 13 minutes for us in the league, and 14 minutes in the cup with one goal in that time. 1 goal over a total of 27 minutes, not bad...

I don''t know how long he has left on his contract, but if he is well down the pecking order if reports are right that we are after Gayle again, and if RVW and Hooper return, perhaps we have to cut our losses and get him off the payroll.

But we owe other clubs nothing, and we should get what we can. As an international player, and scoring goals for the Irish, he has got to be worth £1.5m to £2.0m.

If you read the post above yours, I do the very nice and generous thing of letting you know how long he has left :)

Anything over £1.5 million and sell, sell, sell...and consign him to the list including Coooody, Chrissssie, Rickaaaaaaay, Luchioannnnnoooo, etc...didn''t work out, just move on!

Apples

The figure I had was 1.5 to 2m and I think we should just flog. If we do have eyes on Gayle still, we need to sell and if we can sell Hooper too that would be a decent clear out with AN Other coming in. Can''t even be bothered to think about RVW anymore. Thanks for all the sensible constructive answers everyone.

Selling to a Championship club, with some money, hoping to muscle in on the top six would seem to be the ideal out come.

Lafferty''s stock is high following his international exposure.

I''d say £2m a minimum, and may be quite a bit more if there is competition for his signature.

We do have the Tyrone Mings factor to take into account. This significantly raised the stakes for players only ''proven'' on the second level.

Rhodes and Austin valuations illustrate how high a price strikers with limited/or no top level experience can fetch.

For this reason, I think we can get our money back, at least, for Gary Hooper.

Of course this needs swell the kitty for (over-priced) the additions we clearly need.

Selling to a Championship club, with some money, hoping to muscle in on the top six would seem to be the ideal out come.

Lafferty''s stock is high following his international exposure.

I''d say £2m a minimum, and may be quite a bit more if there is competition for his signature.

We do have the Tyrone Mings factor to take into account. This significantly raised the stakes for players only ''proven'' on the second level.

Rhodes and Austin valuations illustrate how high a price strikers with limited/or no top level experience can fetch.

For this reason, I think we can get our money back, at least, for Gary Hooper.

Of course this needs swell the kitty for (over-priced) the additions we clearly need.

£2m? What have you lot been smoking? He''s never scored more than 11 league goals in some very very poor leagues, he''s done great internationally but against some awful opposition. It''ll be more like £500k imo

If Jerome gets injured while Mbokani is away on Africa cup duty, without Lafferty we could be down to just Grabban and Hooper as the strikeforce.  And Grabban and Hooper could be off anyway, so we could be left woefully short.   All three of Grabban, Hooper and Lafferty have been touted as moving eslewhere, but we have to keep two out of the three to give ourselves enough cover.  Out if the three of them, Lafferty may be least likely to get games, but on his game, he is a real handful, as we saw when he first arrived at Norwich. 

I agree with Morty. There''s some sort of myth that we owe him one or that there''s some sort of amazing talent that we just need to give a chance to. There really isn''t.

What has he contributed to us? Literally nothing. He''s got more cards than goals and was out on loan when we got promoted (a poor loan spell too). I don''t know him personally but his attitude seems a bit off, as it has reportedly at other clubs. His threatening of our fans on Twitter is also becoming tiresome and an embarrassment.

He''s also been pretty average everywhere he''s been - including at a second tier Italian side. His international goals have created an illusion that he''s an amazing goalscorer we need to exploit, but his club record over the years contradicts this (even in the ridiculed SPL).

My viewpoint would be to get rid of him even for no fee - his attitude on Twitter etc suggests he''s unlikely to be a great influence around the club if he''s not getting game time.

LDC you say Lafferty was a great handful when he first arrived yet his goal scoring and assist stats contradict this. Alex Neil sent him on loan just weeks into his reign and hasn''t felt the need to use him this season. What makes you think he would suddenly change his mind?

I think the player is being somewhat underrated by some on this thread.

Whilst I would consider him quite a bit short of being a Premier League striker, I''m with LDC in thinking that perhaps he deserved at least chance to prove himself, and it would have been interesting too.

He might have little value to us now (and how much did Adams pay for him in the first place?) but I feel that he has more than enough to attract interest from the Championship, and for a decent fee. His international exposure will have put the icing on the cake.

This is a league where Aaron Wilbraham still plies his trade with some success and a league that contains two strikers openly valued at £15m+, whilst Chris Martin would probably now fetch more than we forked out for RVW.

Were not Ipswich Town offered £8m for Darly Murphy in the Summer? A very much older and a more limited player, IMO, than Kyle Lafferty and one who had one stand-out season in a mundane career mostly spent out on loan (at Portman Road.)

Without resort to intoxicants, I repeat that I feel that we have an asset in Lafferty, in the right marketplace, and that we deserve to recoup our outlay on him at the very least.

Strikers are strikers after all.

I think the player is being somewhat underrated by some on this thread.

Whilst I would consider him quite a bit short of being a Premier League striker, I''m with LDC in thinking that perhaps he deserved at least chance to prove himself, and it would have been interesting too.

He might have little value to us now (and how much did Adams pay for him in the first place?) but I feel that he has more than enough to attract interest from the Championship, and for a decent fee. His international exposure will have put the icing on the cake.

This is a league where Aaron Wilbraham still plies his trade with some success and a league that contains two strikers openly valued at £15m+, whilst Chris Martin would probably now fetch more than we forked out for RVW.

Were not Ipswich Town offered £8m for Darly Murphy in the Summer? A very much older and a more limited player, IMO, than Kyle Lafferty and one who had one stand-out season in a mundane career mostly spent out on loan (at Portman Road.)

Without resort to intoxicants, I repeat that I feel that we have an asset in Lafferty, in the right marketplace, and that we deserve to recoup our outlay on him at the very least.

Strikers are strikers after all.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]What happened there?

Lafferty''s agent re-posting my views, I would guess.[/quote]What was that about intoxicants?[;)]