Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Brady tonight

[quote user="Jacko"]I think history is being rewritten in some of these posts.

My understanding of the situation based on the numerous reports I have seen is that we opens matters with a £2 million bid. Hull rejected this saying that they wanted an offer of £7 - 8 million.

We then spent around a month or so putting in offers in to Hull which were rejected before eventually giving them the price they wanted all along. We were slightly fortunate that another club didn''t try and gazump us during that time.

I think Brady has been a terrific purchase and he''s already worth well in excess of what we paid for him if he maintains his current form. However, to say we outflanked Hull in the transfer market is fanciful. They got exactly thr price they wanted for him.[/quote]Spot on Jacko.Funny how different history looks when you''re wearing yellow & green specs......

I doubt any of you were privy to the exact details of the negotiations so how can you possibly know what was bid and when. We got our man at what appears to be a brilliant price. Why knock the club?

No one is rewriting history jacko and I''m not claiming we out flanked them. If you go back to when they went down the club publicly said that Brady is worth at least 15m and Robertson their left back is worth 30m in the current market. These were the fees they claimed they would only let these players leave for and it was before any interest from us in Brady. This was a figure quoted often in the local Hull paper when we first started to hear murmurings of our interest and was also picked up by a number of nationals.

The fee started to go down when Hull offered him new terms and he rejected them for a premier league return. At this point quotes of 9m being the magical number started springing up. The whole 7m figure didn''t start to appear until pretty much at the point where the fee was agreed. By this time our interest was known, Bruce had had his little outburst and Brady had rejected a contract extension. This is all information that you can still find online with a quick search and all contributed to a steadily lowering if Hulls expectations.

Now if at the start of the process we would have offered 7m this would have severely weakened our bargaining position and we would have either paid a lot more or more likely never signed him at all as Hull would say rightly that we had to go closer to their valuation as that''s all part of a negotiation process.

As for the outflanking what I said is that Bruce weakened their position by going public in the manner he did. Something that I can only assume was intended to flush any interest out and create a bidding process that raised the price and would bring Hull more money. Here he took a gamble and it failed but ultimately increased the power that we wielded in the negotiations.

For me time and time again McNally and his team have proved to be excellent at negotiations. It was only the season before we got 7m for Snodgrass who only had a year left on his contract and doesn''t have the attributes and quality that Brady does. They somehow sold Leroy Fer for a massive profit too and even got someone to pay a loan fee and all of Van Wolfswinkels wages for a season. That people label the work they do as embarrassing is naive as they have demonstrated over a long period of time at the club they are better than many out there at the way they conduct business. We don''t air our dirty laundry in public, spend recklessly and actually have a long term plan in place to remain sustainable. If you want to see embarrassing look at so many other clubs, QPR, Leeds, Portsmouth, Bolton, Blackpool, Blackburn, Ipswich and even how Brentford let their best manager and shot of a challenge at promotion go to change their entire philosophy. A 2m bid is nothing to be embarrassed about , negotiating hard to get your main target at a good price is just another reason to be proud to support the club we do.

Yep, thanks DC, couldnt have put it better myself. ....and certainly wouldnt have the patience to type all of that out with my two finger tapping.