Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Paul Lambert To Take Over At Blackburn Rovers

This is the big one for him, isn''t it.
A stellar career at Norwich City followed by a pretty awful time at Aston Villa.
Now we''ll see what he''s made of, and FWIW I think he''ll do well.
Maybe he''ll come in with offers for a few of his favourites - Holt to Blackburn on loan?

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]One of the most devastating days in canary history

Gutted truly gutted[/quote]Ha. Made my day. [:D]

Wow, what a challenge for him. 2 wins in 11 games prior to him joining.

Cannot sign any players under a transfer embargo for financial fair play.

Loan players cannot earn more than 10k per week

Club debt of over 70m

Ouch!

Good luck Paul!

They have some good players there.

However, QPR and Fulham also interested and he turned them down?

QPR and Fulham are better placed on 20 and 19 points. They remain 8/9 points off 6th which is a point margin we all know can be hauled back.

Blackburn currently sit in 16th on 17 points. 11 points off of 6th which, whilst possible, you would have to argue is unlikely.

Strange one IMHO.

Big project - Rovers are in a mess financially, and he won''t be able to spend. Big challenge for him, but I hope he does well!

Chicken - Would it be anything to do with Blackburn being nearer than QPR/Fulham to Scotland where his kids are??

Blackburn have got some decent players so there''s something to work with.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Should be interesting to see who he appoints as his backroom staff.[/quote]Alan Irvine is his assistant. Don''t know if Cully and Karsa will figure.

Got lucky in his first season in the Prem with us, got found out at Villa. The Championship is his level.

I wish him all the best, he was a top manager for us, who took us for our lowest moment on a journey beyond our wildest dreams following the 7-1 defeat he inflicted on us.

We''ve moved on though, we are premier league. Alex Neil is doing a fine fine job for us.

Time to rebuild his reputation good luck to him

If he fails he will get the scotland job eventually!!!

I think he''ll always do better at clubs with limited resources. Interesting but not surprising he hasn''t chosen his old backroom staff. Good luck to him.

Doesn''t look like Culverhouse/Karsa etc will feature, but then what was the story leaving Villa before Lambert?

I thought he would go to Fulham, so, as has been said, a bit of a strange one

He oversaw a really exciting period for usand I''ll always be grateful for that, however, it seems to me that he probably ought to be thanking us about now.
However you dress it up, his time at Villa has to be regarded as a bitter disappointment and other than a league cup semi with Wycombe and a failure in the play offs, his only true success as a manager came with Norwich City.
We''ll always love him for what he did but Blackburn have surely made this appointment based on what he did with limited resources with Norwich rather than his underachievement with the likes of Benteke at Villa.
He was undoubtedly good for us but it seems to me that we remain good for him, even now. Good old us. 

I think this is a great appointment and would expect him to do a decent job for them over the next couple of seasons.

For me, he will always be a Norwich legend for the back-to-back promotions and then keeping us up in the prem. I''m not one of the ''bring back the messiah'' crew, but he was excellent for us and it was unfortunate to see what happened at Villa.

I''m sure he''ll do well.
Lambert wasn''t and isn''t the only manager to struggle with Villa post O''Neil, to be honest.

It is worth remembering that when he took over at Villa he was saddled with a lot of deadwood on mega bucks contracts.

He took us over at a very low ebb, and the players had just suffered relegation followed by the 7-1 loss so he was able to come in and impose his authority as the manager who''d done that demolition job on them.  Once he got things going in the L1 campaign, he was able to dictate, and he brought in young/hungry players who were happy to go on with that approach.  It''s worth remembering, for example, the way he''d rotate players in and out to suit the needs of each particular game.

At Villa my guess is that he suffered by coming up against established and very well paid Prem veterans who were not willing to fall in with his approach, so he wasn''t able to establish his authority and dictate the playing style.  As time went on and things didn''t improve, he was never able to get over that and if anything the team were playing below the players'' ability, whereas with us they clearly performed above their level.

I wonder if he''s picked Blackburn because they are in a similar bad position & could be receptive to a new manager coming in to save them?  whereas QPR/Fulham may not be that low ?

In fact, dare I say it, does he recognise that he need to be able to establish himself as an incoming messiah to get results, whereas if he joins a team that aren''t badly enough off to need a messiah, it may not work out ?

Hmmmm

Anyway, I will always be grateful to him for getting us back to the Prem from L1 and ushering in a bright spell in our history.  But the way he left means I''m completely neutral about how he gets on at Blackburn - I don''t really care whether he does well, or badly, with them.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]The combination of unpredictable Indian owners and a stubborn Scot doesn''t sound like a marriage made in heaven.Methinks this won''t end well.....[/quote]The Venkys (seemingly unlike Fernandes) may have learned from earlier mistakes. Not counting his time beforehand as caretaker manager, Gary Bowyer lasted two full seasons and more than a third of the way into another before being sacked. Given that the average length of managerial tenure in the Championship is well under a year that suggests a fair degree of patience and understanding from the owners.

ICF - what you say reflects my thoughts. It looks increasingly like Lambert hasn''t got the tools to manage in the Prem. He is good at motivating players , but lacks the capability to manage/coach egos etc with Prem players.

His choice of Blackburn is maybe a lot to do with protecting and enhancing his own agenda, than being outside his comfort zone (although that can be argued that nothing like that was available for him at this moment in time)