Sign in to follow this  
hitman

so who is your favourite band ..singer from your youth ???

"For those of us of more advanced years Norfolk in the late 70''s had two of the premier live music venues in the country namely the West Runton Pavilion and the Cromer Links."

Ah memories, I have a recollection that the Sex Pistols played Cromer Links in the tour after they were banned from playing the UEA.

Also remember seeing bands at the Jacquard on Magdellan St. and a venue that I think is where MacDonalds on Westlegate not sure of the name, was it the Boogie House?

You are quite right! The Sex Pistols did play their penultimate gig at Cromer Links before heading to the US and the demise of Sid Vicious. Can''t remember exactly which year it was but it was around Christmastime.Very strange gig, they were better musicians than people gave them credit for, Jonny Rotten had a mesmeric effect on the audience. Actually one of the more peaceful gigs I worked at compared with some!!

A good read is ''What FLO said next'' by Julie Fielder who has listed the bands and has numerous anecdotes from regulars.

Simply cannot name one; depending on my mood could be Johnny Ray, Roy Orbison, Aretha, Whitney, Michael Stipe, Dave Gahan, Jim Bob Morrison, Terry Hall, David Byrne, Robert Smith, Bernie Sumner, Marc Almond, Debbie Harry (my first album being parallel lines) or Jack White.

Today its mainly Tom Smith, Munich

Sex Pistols was Christmas Eve 1977. Best gig I''ve ever been too, nothing else has come close. What Flo said is a great book.

Saw many punk bands at West Runton and around the Norfolk area "back in the day".

Those were the days. Cud Alan Partridge aaaahhh!

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]The Smiths, still as fresh now 30 years on.[/quote]

2nd this, but 30 years??? God I feel old, heaven knows I''m miserable now ;-)

TC it was indeed the boogie is house saw The Leighton Buzzards play there,and west runton where to start so many good punk / alternative bands played there,was there for Bad Manners which descended into chaos and sadly the final nail in the coffin.

Almost up there with the SLF post gig fracas,if either of those had been at a football match in those days the entire football world would probably have been shut down,thankfully things have calmed down a touch.

Bit biased but Robert Smith, The Cure. Not many of the bands mentioned from back in the 70''s will still be playing sold out shows across the USA next summer, including 3 nights respectively at both Madison Square Garden and the Hollywood Bowl amongst others - but The Cure are. Fantastic band that can literally turn their hand to any style.

You make a good case for Robert Smith and Cure Alex. As a right old crinkly I go way back to magical times of seeing the Stones and The Hollies live in Norwich. Cream live at Hoveton Village Hall before they commenced major tours.

Animals live at Lowestoft and me and mates fraternising with the bonnie scottish girls on holiday!!

What a time that was to be young. From Del Shannon and Eddie Cochran to Ozzie. All music means something to someone. For me it sparks great memories and great sadness.

quote user="Johnny Stump"Sex Pistols was Christmas Eve 1977. Best gig I''ve ever been too, nothing else has come close. What Flo said is a great book.

Saw many punk bands at West Runton and around the Norfolk area "back in the day".

Those were the days. Cud Alan Partridge aaaahhh!

I was at the Sex Pistols gig, too, Johnny. As I remember the Cromer Links had been shut for some time, and re-opened just for that one night. The place was falling apart by that stage and the upper balconies were closed off because of danger of collapse.

The band were all d*heads to be honest and my ears were streaming blood by the end because of the noise. Loudest gig I''d ever been too.

Best band by far - Raymond Frogatt - oldies will remember the Links was packed out whenever he came to play the Links.

Most fun night, was when Rock the Boat and his mates started a fight with Edgar Broughton Band while they were playing and they ended up barricading themselves in the dressing room while RTB tried to break the door down.

Those were the days!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Liam Gallagher. Oasis. Still is. Always will be.[/quote]what did you think of Beadie eye?

Rock the Boat.

I''m pretty sure the band were up on one of the balconies, I remember them looking down on the crowd from the back, Johnny in a black fedora hat.

Heavy reggae was the choice of music pre gig.

There''s a recording of that night available, if you want to relive the pain!