Sign in to follow this  
hitman

so who is your favourite band ..singer from your youth ???

I''m a nirvana fan ..what''s your favourite song and what does it remind you of ..in that great period of your life ??

Stand and Deliver, by Adam Ant was the first vinyl single i every bought. Have booked tickets to go see him on tour next May (shamefully admits to some excitement of a journey to Ipswich.....)

Best live band I ever saw was The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Even better than The Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R861Dw30_Ds

Ron Obvious wrote

"

Best live band I ever saw was The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Even better than The Who. "

I''m with you Ron, i saw SAHB as award up to David Bowie, at the Edinburgh Appolo, they were awesome and blew Bowie away.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Best live band I ever saw was The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Even better than The Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R861Dw30_Ds[/quote]That wouldn''t have been at The Valley in ''76 would it Ron ? They were both on an all day ''Who Put The Boot In '' stadium tour with Little Feat, Outlaws and Streetwalkers.Don''t remember too much about the day but they''d carefully lined up green lasers on each of the floodlight pylons for the '' Won''t Get Fooled Again '' finale and people off their heads were climbing up them to them with much ranting from MC '' Little '' Nicky Horne who was a DJ on Capital Radio.It had been p*ssing down all day but had stopped by the time the headliners came on. Perhaps the funniest bit was when Daltrey bounded on stage and immediately went a*se over t*t in a pool of rainwater. He grabbed a broom and swept it off.Fantastic day out for the official 76,000 crowd but there were a lot more with ticket forgeries. Only £4 too.....

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]The Jam , always will be my favourite band, even if Paul Weller is nothing more than a pub rocker now[/quote]

Me too.Down in the tubestation is still right up there in my all time fav songs.Btw have you seen FTJ ? you hardly know it isn''t Weller

Yeah, had a good night with FTJ, they''re playing the waterfront next year doing all the A and B sides so think I''ll go to that.

......and Smith must score :

I saw The who in 1969 (I think) at Leicester Uni. They''d just released Tommy, & were performing See Me, Feel Me when a biker gang who''d turned up took exception & started chucking beer bottles at the stage. Townshend took a swipe at some of them in the front row before the lights went out, the girls started screaming & it was bloody scary pandemonium as everyone tried to cram through the exit doors.

Saw them again, just a few years ago, at Brum NEC. No Hell''s Angels this time, so a full set was played. Still full of energy after 40-odd years; brilliant.

Saw SAHB at Sheffield in ''74 & ''75. The best. Theatrical, threatening, tender, funny, terrifying, inventive, tight as a duck''s bum, uncategorizable - except as perhaps the epitome of Scottishness when they wanted to be (e.g. Anthem).

I firmly believe there will never be a better live band.

[quote user="Wiz"]Ozzy.....Black Sabbath...... Black Sabbath.[/quote]I''d have thought you''d have been more Donald Peers and Gracie Fields Wiz......I know Tilly is. [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Wiz"]Ozzy.....Black Sabbath...... Black Sabbath.[/quote]I''d have thought you''d have been more Donald Peers and Gracie Fields Wiz......I know Tilly is. [:D][/quote]

I use to listen to Frankie Laine and Alma Cogan as a youngster Lapps............then music got serious for me.

My favourite at the mo'' is The Fall; now approaching 40 years in the biz, always the same yet always different as the Peelster once memorably said - and playing them soon gets rid of the in laws! At school I was a headbanger, so ACDC & Rush; but was supplemented by alt bands like the Velvet Underground / Doors / Hendrix. Then I went to a party in Attenborough, and found a record by Cabaret Voltaire, and was so intrigued I went to Uni in Sheffield to find out where there influence came from. I''ve had many years since hanging out with musicians in Sheff, which is mainly why I''ve never left. But still can''t shake The Fall!

Red Rufus wrote the following post at 15/11/2015 6:28 AM:

Paul Rodgers and Free! Still a great singer in his 60''s.

Good call!

Joe Strummer-never been anybody like him before or since. Not the best voice but very distinctive, songs full of anger, emotion and meaning. A man of many contradictions but he cared. I was very sad when he died. Got my first tattoo at age 40 in his honour.

You can never shake the fall. Once you''re in, that''s it. First I heard was Live at the witch trials and thought this sounds good, I''ll try some more....got Hex enduction hour and fell in love. Awesome band.

Hey mark, you''re spoiling all the paintwork

For those of us of more advanced years Norfolk in the late 70''s had two of the premier live music venues in the country namely the West Runton Pavilion and the Cromer Links. At that time both held live concerts with the top bands. SAHB were regulars at West Runton and were one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Wonderful show full of passion. While working at both venues I saw several of the best bands but those that stick in my mind were the original line-up AC/DC, Stiff Little Fingers, and Slade. Slade were really down to earth friendly lads.

I was also at the Valley when the Who played, yes SAHB did blow them off stage. That festival became known as the ''mud and blood'' festival due to the weather and the fighting which took place in the audience.

Finally the BEST concert was Bob Marley at Hammersmith Odeon in the late 70''s , probably about 78? Very few white faces in the crowd but a fantastic atmosphere.