Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Who's going to be singing this one on Saturday then?

A somewhat flippant OP headline but I trust it wasn''t meant as such. It will be an orchestrated version so singing is not required.

Personally I am very glad that we (the football community) show our solidarity with our neighbours, who knows when it could happen here!

The sooner this scourge of terrorism is obliterated the better!

A surprising decision to be honest as like others I''d prefer a traditional silence before the game

[quote user="AJ"]A surprising decision to be honest as like others I''d prefer a traditional silence before the game[/quote]

A minute silence would not be enough, imo.  The immensity of the horror last week demands both a show of defiance and a show of support for the French. Singing the Fench national anthem would be just that.

Sorry guys but I disagree.

I am sure we are all equally disturbed by the atrocity and have heartfelt sympathy with those lost and their grieving families....

BUT this isnt about being french......its yet another attack on the western world (for the record it has already happened here for whoever mentioned it earlier and has a short memory) it also happened in Turkey the day before France and a Russian airliner shortly before that SO why the big issue and the French love in ?

Last Tuesday evening at Wembley we took the opportunity at international level to show the world we were united in grief and all stand together to conquer terrorism.....

Its time to move on and regain a sense of normality otherwise we truly are being dictated too !!

I''m with you Lakey. One of the aims of this atrocity was to put fear

and cause divisions amongst us. A defiant showing of unity is exactly right in my opinion.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
I''m with you Lakey. One of the aims of this atrocity was to put fear

and cause divisions amongst us. A defiant showing of unity is exactly right in my opinion.

[/quote]Me too.  Unity isn''t just a five minute sing of a National Anthem one night and then let''s all get back to normal, unity has to be carried on until ISIS are no more.A thought too, for the gallant police dog Diesel, already twice decorated for bravery, who lost her life in a hail of bullets on Tuesday when the police stormed the Paris flat which resulted in the mastermind of the atrocity being killed.

I don''t want any kind of hierarchy of grief but while I can understand singing the Marseillaise as a gesture of solidarity (or fraternité) in defiance of the appalling events this time last week, I can''t get worked up about a police dog being killed in the line of duty.

Agree with Baywing here, the gesture before the international game was a lovely one.

I don''t see any real need to repeat it.

[quote user="Bor"]I don''t want any kind of hierarchy of grief but while I can understand singing the Marseillaise as a gesture of solidarity (or fraternité) in defiance of the appalling events this time last week, I can''t get worked up about a police dog being killed in the line of duty.
[/quote]

BOR

Heartless

Good point Baywing, I would add that the thousands of people killed by Boko Haram in Nigeria this year, two further attacks happening the day after the attacks in France too. We also have further attacks in Mali just last night. It does sadden me that until white people are effected that our media and public doesn''t seem to pay the same attention. We should see all atrocities as equally appalling not just those close to home. Until we view them all as equally terrible we will never unify and come together to deal with the issues behind why these events occur and actually make a real difference.

We just have to look at Syria where we knew that people were desperate and in a terrible situation but we were inactive until the problem literally washed up on our shores. Until then many were happy to let these things happen and not give it a second thought.

I am glad people are coming together and unifying but we need to support the world not just those in Europe.

i think its unnecessarythere are attacks all the time, we would be in a lot of silence and singing a lot of anthems if we showed equal respect to all, the england/france tributes and the minutes silence on monday were enough, i dont think our ''solidarity'' would be in question even if this wasnt to happen

[quote user="Bor"]I don''t want any kind of hierarchy of grief but while I can understand singing the Marseillaise as a gesture of solidarity (or fraternité) in defiance of the appalling events this time last week, I can''t get worked up about a police dog being killed in the line of duty.[/quote]No-one''s asking you to get ''worked up'' Bor, just spare a thought for an animal that saved lives.  Others seem to:Russia has sent a puppy to France in a show of solidarity against terrorism, following the attacks in Paris.

The puppy - named Dobrynya - is intended to replace French

police dog Diesel, who was killed during an anti-terrorism raid in Paris

in the days after the attacks.

There were 130 people killed and hundreds more injured in the attacks on various venues in Paris on 13 November.

In a letter posted on the ministry''s Facebook page, the

Russian minister for internal affairs Vladimir Kolokoltsez wrote to his

French counterpart Bernard Cazeneuve, offering the young canine as

"confirmation of our solidarity with the French police in these troubled

days".

Dobrynya was the maternal uncle and tutor of Russian leader

Vladimir the Great and was later a hero and knight in Russian folklore,

known as "the personification of strength, kindness, bravery and

selflessness".

The puppy has big shoes to fill.

Paris police chief Jean-Michel Fauvergue told French

newspaper Le Parisien that the seven-year-old "probably saved the lives

of policemen who were about to enter".

Diesel''s death - after being sent into an apartment to check

the threat inside - prompted an outpouring of grief on social media.

Tributes took the hashtag #JeSuisDiesel or #JeSuisChien.[:D]

[quote user="Bor"]"The puppy has big shoes to fill."

Oh for God''s sake.[/quote]Not my words..............http://news.sky.com/story/1591635/russia-sends-france-puppy-in-solidarity