Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Is Cat 1 Academy worth the money?

nutty nigel wrote:

Brilliant stuff guys! Another quality Pink Un thread that I can learn from. You just don''t get this on those lesser sites which are full of ill informed pontificating. I''m proud to be a part of this great community.

Boring now, Nigel. And ironic.

It doesn''t have to be either/or.

Not sure I see any irony here.

What I do see very often is duplicity and extreme double standards which are frankly laughable.😄

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Absolutely not. As has been my opinion from the start. I have tried to introduce an inclusive atmosphere on many occasions. We are all Norwich fans after all. But unfortunately to no avail and the continual haughtiness towards the pink un prevails.

As I said to Morty, everyone finds someone else''s posts boring. I get bored by yours, Morty''s and Lakeys elongated spats. But I also understand my stuff bores others so dont comment. If this goes on for a week you''ll understand just how bored I get...[/quote]
I have no intention of a fifteen page thread!
The "continued haughtiness" is no more so than you talking about "lesser sites", so it''s a bit hypocritical, isn''t it?

I think an issue we have with some people is they see the players coming from Spurs, Soton, and even QPR if you wish to go back to Sterling - and are wondering where these players are for us. but as others have said - it''s going to take time. I don''t think anyone should of expected this to be a near-instant result

[quote user="mrs miggins"]"It doesn''t have to be either/or."

Lets face it though, it does. You can''t say anything on ''there'' without the police coming out in force which is why we get the angrier section of the ''other place'' who are allowed their free speech here.

I mean, I''m not saying it''s fascism but its pretty bloody close. [/quote]
Hardly "fascism".  If the site policy is not to be abusive or argumentative (as opposed to debate, which is easily visible) then those are the rules.
The rules here aren''t that different, the key difference is nobody at Archant enforces them.  If the rules were enforced, there would be perhaps eighteen posts left in the whole site?
For example:
  • Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum.
You could argue Nigel has done exactly that with his unprovoked swipe at Norwichtalk.com.  And yet life goes on...

1. Do not advertise products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

2. Keep to the topic of the original thread and do not post multiple threads on the same subject.

3. Users must not post messages which: 

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, social or religious groups or people of a different background, users of the Forum or not.
  • Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.
  • Make libellous comments about individuals or companies, including Archant newspapers, magazines or websites, and their staff or contributors. The law against defamation protects individuals or organisations from attacks on their reputation. This means the publication of any statement which: exposes them to hatred, ridicule or contempt , causes them to be shunned or avoided, discredits them in their trade, business or profession, or generally lowers them in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Unlike other charges, the onus is on you in cases of libel, as the author, to prove your statement or comment is legal.
  • Result in contempt of court – do not post anything which could prejudice court proceedings currently or in the future. It is basically contempt of court to comment on any crime once someone has been arrested for it, even if they have not yet been charged. That is when proceedings become active and potential jurors may be swayed by what they read.
  • Contain explicit language or vulgarities
  • Use foreign languages 
  • Impersonate or represent any person or entity in an attempt to deceive, harass or otherwise mislead another member.
  • Incite illegal activity including the glorification of terrorism or incitement to racial hatred. 
  • Infringe intellectual property rights or transmit any material that you don''t have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)
  • Link to and/or references content not allowed under these guidelines.
  • Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant.
  • Include personal information about others, or publish private correspondence or report conversations where there has been a reasonable expectation of privacy from other parties

4. This code of conduct also includes material sent via personal messages through this forum and profile information including, but not limited to, signatures and avatars.

You can call it a bit of childish tit for tat but not hypocritical because of where the phrase was originally used.

I don''t argue that I can be childish or that others find me boring. However you pointing it out...

Now that is hypocritical :)

Re: : Is Cat 1 Academy worth the money?

mrs miggins wrote:

"It doesn''t have to be either/or." Lets face it though, it does. You can''t say anything on ''there'' without the police coming out in force which is why we get the angrier section of the ''other place'' who are allowed their free speech here. I mean, I''m not saying it''s fascism but its pretty bloody close.

Hardly "fascism". If the site policy is not to be abusive or argumentative (as opposed to debate, which is easily visible) then those are the rules.

The rules here aren''t that different, the key difference is nobody at Archant enforces them. If the rules were enforced, there would be perhaps eighteen posts left in the whole site?

For example:

Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum.

You could argue Nigel has done exactly that with his unprovoked swipe at Norwichtalk.com. And yet life goes on...

1. Do not advertise products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

2. Keep to the topic of the original thread and do not post multiple threads on the same subject.

3. Users must not post messages which:

Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, social or religious groups or people of a different background, users of the Forum or not.

Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

Make libellous comments about individuals or companies, including Archant newspapers, magazines or websites, and their staff or contributors. The law against defamation protects individuals or organisations from attacks on their reputation. This means the publication of any statement which: exposes them to hatred, ridicule or contempt , causes them to be shunned or avoided, discredits them in their trade, business or profession, or generally lowers them in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Unlike other charges, the onus is on you in cases of libel, as the author, to prove your statement or comment is legal.

Result in contempt of court – do not post anything which could prejudice court proceedings currently or in the future. It is basically contempt of court to comment on any crime once someone has been arrested for it, even if they have not yet been charged. That is when proceedings become active and potential jurors may be swayed by what they read.

Contain explicit language or vulgarities

Use foreign languages

Impersonate or represent any person or entity in an attempt to deceive, harass or otherwise mislead another member.

Incite illegal activity including the glorification of terrorism or incitement to racial hatred.

Infringe intellectual property rights or transmit any material that you don''t have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)

Link to and/or references content not allowed under these guidelines.

Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant.

Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum.

Include personal information about others, or publish private correspondence or report conversations where there has been a reasonable expectation of privacy from other parties

4. This code of conduct also includes material sent via personal messages through this forum and profile information including, but not limited to, signatures and avatars.

Looks like the mildly amusing Mr Chops has morphed into a mildly boring Mr Plod.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]You can call it a bit of childish tit for tat but not hypocritical because of where the phrase was originally used.

I don''t argue that I can be childish or that others find me boring. However you pointing it out...

Now that is hypocritical :)[/quote]
Wriggly to the last, eh Nigel.
I don''t accept your accusation of hypocrisy because I don''t find myself boring or childish.
BTW, good job I''m not the sort to click on "Report". seeing as you are guilty of the following infraction:

Only took a couple of pages to venture "off topic", and a good one at that, into to a typical, "us versus them" debate.

Well done lads.

While your here Ivor, and passing your judgements upon us, perhaps you''d remove your mask and come clean.

It has been a great thread which prompted my comment. I enjoy this message board, I am grateful to the many brilliant contributors we have. I am not grateful for trolls like you.

Taking it back on track, I think for me I''m opeful to see the Eadie....we have had so many false starts in Jarvis, Martin, etc. That it would be great to see one of our youth team take that chance.

Here''s hoping that the Murphy boys can fulfil their potential and make our first team soon.

Maybe Purple could give us a cost analyses on the Cat 1 against the return? Not sure if all the cost can be broken out of the accounts, but genuinely interested.

Finances aside

I can see this as only a good thing long term, long may it continue.

How would you measure the return Indy, do you mean income from sale of academy players?

How do you put a value on the current crop of young people that we have within the set up?

Bor wrote the following post at 18/11/2015 7:46 PM:

Hardly "fascism".

-------------------------

Maybe not fascism, but it''s definitely some sort of ism, one of the bad ones. Definitely one of the isms.

[quote user="Indy"]Taking it back on track, I think for me I''m opeful to see the Eadie....we have had so many false starts in Jarvis, Martin, etc. That it would be great to see one of our youth team take that chance.

Here''s hoping that the Murphy boys can fulfil their potential and make our first team soon.

Maybe Purple could give us a cost analyses on the Cat 1 against the return? Not sure if all the cost can be broken out of the accounts, but genuinely interested.

Finances aside

I can see this as only a good thing long term, long may it continue.[/quote]

Not taking a dig here, but in what way would you consider Jarvis a false start? Genuinely interested in your thoughts here. He may of only scored one goal but I can''t fault him for any game so far, and I''m actually hopeful for us to sign him if the price is right.

Is Cat 1 Academy worth the money?

As I''ve been saying since it was first started it is a big mistake, it''s a money lose all the way. If my memory is correct, it costs close to 2 million per season to run we will never get that money back.

It is bad enough Swindon that the big clubs throw mega millions at players from all around the globe let alone have a free run at youngsters from all over the UK because of Cat 1 status. Surely you are not suggesting we withdraw to the old 90 mile radius nonsense which for us includes a large chunk of the North sea ! We have to give ourselves the best chance we can cling on to in order to possibly unearth a gem.

Nutty - to answer your question, no I won''t and why should I?

The vast majority of posters here are anonymous and known by just their user name. Being anonymous doesn''t automatically make anyone who is a troll.

A few posters are open about who they are, either directly on here, or in person. That''s their personal choice. Again, knowing who someone is in real life doesn''t make anyone a troll.

A troll is someone who sows discord on the internet by starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages with deliberate intent of provoking readers into a response or disrupting on-topic discussions.

Now, if you want to compare and contrast our respective postings, either on this thread or any others for that matter, having regard to the above, feel free.

You don''t own this site, you''re not the forum police, so just bear this in mind before banding around the word troll in future.

In the meantime, I''ll carry on posting to this, or any other thread that takes my interest, just as I am. If you have a problem with that, so be it, I honestly couldn''t care less.

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Nutty - to answer your question, no I won''t and why should I?

The vast majority of posters here are anonymous and known by just their user name. Being anonymous doesn''t automatically make anyone who is a troll.

A few posters are open about who they are, either directly on here, or in person. That''s their personal choice. Again, knowing who someone is in real life doesn''t make anyone a troll.

A troll is someone who sows discord on the internet by starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic messages with deliberate intent of provoking readers into a response or disrupting on-topic discussions.

Now, if you want to compare and contrast our respective postings, either on this thread or any others for that matter, having regard to the above, feel free.

You don''t own this site, you''re not the forum police, so just bear this in mind before banding around the word troll in future.

In the meantime, I''ll carry on posting to this, or any other thread that takes my interest, just as I am. If you have a problem with that, so be it, I honestly couldn''t care less.[/quote]In the light of this post Ivor Know may i refer you to your very first post on this messageboard back in May........ trolling at it''s best don''t you think ? Of course i expect you will say there was nothing inflammatory there with the intent to sow discord and no deliberate intent to provoke a response or start an argument.

Re: Ipswich Away Points Is A Lottery And Not A Guarantee.

Word on the street is that OP created such a fuss when

he and his seven mates couldn''t get tickets, that, a few days later,

the club suddenly miraculously conjured up tickets to cater for him and

his still ticket less mates.

Obviously, the deal had to be kept under wraps, hence the radio silence.

I''m sure that the credibility of this ode will be challenged, if

only on the basis that no one will ever believe that the OP actually has

seven mates!

Thank you Tilly.

That''s why I called you a troll Ivor. Because you specifically joined this board to make trouble with a personal issue. I do not think I own the board. I am sincere when I praise the board and say how much I appreciate it''s contributors. But I am also sincere when I call you for what you are. Not for having an opinion because nobody has the right to do that. But folk do have the right to challenge dubious facts and also have the right to recognise troublemakers who come here to cause trouble and disrupt. So why not come clean?

[quote user="Ivor Know"] A troll is someone who sows discord on the

internet by starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory,

extraneous or off-topic messages with deliberate intent of provoking readers

into a response or disrupting on-topic discussions. [/quote]

For the avoidance of any doubt here''s that first post you made which I''m

sure you''ll agree fits you description above to a tee : -

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Word on the street is that OP created such a fuss

when he and his seven mates couldn''t get tickets, that, a few days later, the

club suddenly miraculously conjured up tickets to cater for him and his still

ticket less mates. Obviously, the deal had to be kept under wraps, hence the

radio silence. I''m sure that the credibility of this ode will be challenged, if

only on the basis that no one will ever believe that the OP actually has seven

mates![/quote]

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Nutty - to answer your question, no I won''t and why should I?

[/quote]Quite right. The problem only comes with a third potential category of posters. The poster who is known, either openly or anonymously, as one person but who then creates one or more anonymous personas. I doubt such posters exist here (you would have to be very sad indeed) but if they did they would fit the definition of a troll.

Issues with the Cat 1 status, First as many as you may know, if you have a local child and there quite handy you will struggle to get them in an academy because of them being able to recruit nationally now. lots of the lads coming through are from the London area and do not care for the club there playing for. You are then  losing the passion and pride that a lot of big clubs get from there academy players. it’s such a shame because there are many good little footballers around the county, but they just don’t get the chance. other than that if we got a new ''messi'' through the ranks which came from London I wouldn’t necessary be whinging then. ;)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
[quote user="Ivor Know"] A troll is someone who sows discord on the

internet by starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory,

extraneous or off-topic messages with deliberate intent of provoking readers

into a response or disrupting on-topic discussions. [/quote]

For the avoidance of any doubt here''s that first post you made which I''m

sure you''ll agree fits you description above to a tee : -

[quote user="Ivor Know"]Word on the street is that OP created such a fuss

when he and his seven mates couldn''t get tickets, that, a few days later, the

club suddenly miraculously conjured up tickets to cater for him and his still

ticket less mates. Obviously, the deal had to be kept under wraps, hence the

radio silence. I''m sure that the credibility of this ode will be challenged, if

only on the basis that no one will ever believe that the OP actually has seven

mates![/quote]
[/quote]
Ivor Know there with the equivalent of *that* Jon Otsemobor back pass.

[quote user="TheEarlyMilkman"]Issues with the Cat 1 status, First as many as you may know, if you have a local child and there quite handy you will struggle to get them in an academy because of them being able to recruit nationally now. lots of the lads coming through are from the London area and do not care for the club there playing for. You are then  losing the passion and pride that a lot of big clubs get from there academy players. it’s such a shame because there are many good little footballers around the county, but they just don’t get the chance. other than that if we got a new ''messi'' through the ranks which came from London I wouldn’t necessary be whinging then. ;)

[/quote]https://usingaborrowedlanguage.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/theyre-parking-there.pngDon''t mention it. [;)]

Tilly - wow, that was one hell of a first post, wasn''t it? Maybe it was a bit mischievous on my part, but you had been asked by several others whether you''d been to the game and hadn''t answered. Two wrongs don''t make a right, and, vjust as one swallow doesn''t make a summer, surely one mischievous post doesn''t make a troll?

Nutty - it clearly bugs you that you don''t know who I am. Repeat the question as often as you like, the answer will still be the same. And, as I''ve explained before, it wasn''t a case "joined", more a case of rejoining and I''ve posted since, trying to contribute to posts that interest me and that''s how I''ll continue.

This board clearly means different things to different posters. Personally, I think you''re overstating it''s worth, but that''s just my opinion.

Purple - I''ve explained why I rejoined elsewhere. I won''t bore you with the details. Some will accept that for what it was, others seemingly won''t. Impossible to prove either way unfortunately. This is the only user ID I have.

Bor - lol, yes, it was bad, but surely not that bad?

Now, what was this topic about???

Well Ivor. I''ll give you credit for coming back after that.

But you''re mistaken that you think it bugs me that I don''t know who you are. What bugs me is that you signed up on this ID to troll the board. If you want to remain anonymous, and as you say many do, that doesn''t bug me either. But it''s dishonest to have a foot in each camp. What I mean is taking personal issues from elsewhere on to this board and then wanting anonymity at the same time. That is dishonest in my book.

Now a bit about me. I enjoy this community. It''s full of talented and interesting posters. Clever posters. Funny posters. Generous posters like ALL the PUPs. I enjoy being part of it. Just like I enjoy being part of the communities off line like the Fans Social Club and the CSF. You can accuse me of many things but you can never accuse me of being dishonest. And to me honesty is as important in a community like this as it is in a community offline. Now, if you want to compare and contrast our respective postings, either on this thread or any others for that matter, having regard to the above and knowing what we know, feel free. (I think I read that before somewhere).

If you look back to the post which seemed to upset everyone I was complementing everyone who had contributed, including you, on an excellent thread. I did make a childish comment about lesser sites but that was only repeating the comment made on another site about this one. A bit of tongue in cheek tit for tat. Nothing more.

The post didn''t "upset" me but the hypocrisy of criticising a site, when you get antsy about posts on that site attacking this one, irritated me.

Now that you''ve acknowledged it was childish, and ignoring your "but they started it" defence, I feel ready and able to move on with my life.

Well now Ivor looks like you have morphed into Chubby Checker with all this twisting and turning in an attempt to water down some of your posts whilst still insisting on hiding behind  your mask yet naming posters by their proper names yourself. All this done whilst distancing yourself from other supporters groups whom who also seem to know an awful lot about. However the dots will eventually be joined up by those you have previously trolled. Maybe a few have already ?