Sign in to follow this  
Kidderminster Exile

Are we all to blame

On first thought it sounds unlikely that over 50% of season ticket holders are over 50 but it''s probably surprisingly close to that. Where I sit in the middle of the Jarrold Stand grey is the most fashionable hair colour at least for those of us who have any left. The City Stand is even more so and I doubt there are many people south of 60 in there at all. The River End is probably a bit younger in parts but even with the more youthful Barclay/Snakepit able to drag the average down I think it''s still quite high.The average age of Chelsea season ticket holders is 54 which is higher than most of us would probably imagine so maybe it''s the same in many other grounds too ?

Actually, whilst Grefstads figures around the age of fans aren''t quite right, he is along the right track.The average age of a season ticket holder at Carrow Road is 42, that came from Joe Ferrari in a conversation we had last year, so it could feasibly be 43 now. We retain around 90% of season ticket holders each year which obviously means that grows year on year, unless there is a mass cull of the elderly in one year, or an influx of kids joining. Compare this to the 80''s and early 90''s and there would be a massive difference. I don''t know what it would be for norwich, but there''s been stats about Man Utd that came out of the safestanding campaign, that the average age in the 80''s was about 18, compared to their mid forties now.Another difference for the atmosphere, within a full modern stadium like Carrow Road is that people don''t move around like they used to. Back in the days of terracing people who wanted to stand and sing congregated together and when they felt they''d reached an age where they''d had enough of that, they moved away from it and in to other areas of the ground, allowing space for the next group of youngsters. With an all seater stadium people don''t migrate to other areas, there is no longer a need to move to a seat away from the terrace. That means that the vocal support that is in the stadium is spread further apart and cannot congregate, as a result.Also with the rising cost of tickets, some people have finally had to bite the bullet and give up their season tickets. Often these spaces are filled by people who want to attend games but don''t neccesarily want to join in vocally, further diluting the atmosphere.Unfortunately, there is no easy solution to this at this time.Teams like Leicester and Palace, have been able to regroup in other empty areas of their grounds, but for us, its not feasible without wholesale changes, which is too large of a logisitical problem for the club to get involved in.

"50-60%, at least, of the 20000 season ticket holders, are pensioners"

"average age of a season ticket holder at Carrow Road is .......43", 43 * 20,000 = 860,000 in total.

60% of 20,000 is 12,000, if they are 65 that makes 780,000 years in total. That leaves 80,000 left for the other 40%.

40% of 20,000 is 8,000.

80,000 / 8,000 = 10, does that means that the average for the non pensioners is 10 years old?

The average age of the 20,000 season ticket holders is around 43. I didnt suggest that 60% are pensioners, that was someone else, so to use that in conjunction with the figure i was given by Joe is completely irrelevant. I had already stated that the 50-60% pensioners stat was off the mark. I gave good reason as to why i feel that the atmosphere is worsening, your opinion on those views would be more productive.

50-60% of seasons ticket holders being pensioneers was my number, and although I admit it may not hold up, the point was that the atmosphere, or lack of it, is due to constant renewals of season tickets from people in age groups where singing in a football ground does not come naturally any more...

If the typical season ticket holder is a 42-43 year old male, which Thomo suggests, and our renewal rate of season ticket holders have around 90% or even more in the last 6-7 years (I dont think thats way off the mark), then the average age of a season ticket holder will have risen from mid thirties to 42-43 today, and if the trend continues, it will be 48-49-50 in 5-6-7 years time.

So, my point is probably still valid, although I am slightly surprised the average age of a season ticket holder at Carrow Road is not higher than 42-43.

Thomo, you should feel proud that I''ve managed to use your information from Joe Ferrari to fact check Grefstads guesswork.

[quote user="grefstad"]50-60% of seasons ticket holders being pensioneers was my number, and although I admit it may not hold up, the point was that the atmosphere, or lack of it, is due to constant renewals of season tickets from people in age groups where singing in a football ground does not come naturally any more...

If the typical season ticket holder is a 42-43 year old male, which Thomo suggests, and our renewal rate of season ticket holders have around 90% or even more in the last 6-7 years (I dont think thats way off the mark), then the average age of a season ticket holder will have risen from mid thirties to 42-43 today, and if the trend continues, it will be 48-49-50 in 5-6-7 years time.

So, my point is probably still valid, although I am slightly surprised the average age of a season ticket holder at Carrow Road is not higher than 42-43.[/quote]No it really isn''t valid. You were wrong.And, as I have previously stated, as someone who goes to a lot of away games, Carrow road is far noisier than most of them.

[quote user="grefstad"]50-60% of seasons ticket holders being pensioneers was my number, and although I admit it may not hold up, the point was that the atmosphere, or lack of it, is due to constant renewals of season tickets from people in age groups where singing in a football ground does not come naturally any more... If the typical season ticket holder is a 42-43 year old male, which Thomo suggests, and our renewal rate of season ticket holders have around 90% or even more in the last 6-7 years (I dont think thats way off the mark), then the average age of a season ticket holder will have risen from mid thirties to 42-43 today, and if the trend continues, it will be 48-49-50 in 5-6-7 years time. So, my point is probably still valid, although I am slightly surprised the average age of a season ticket holder at Carrow Road is not higher than 42-43.[/quote]

No it''s not, it''s just something you made up, just face up to it, you''re wrong.

Must be hard for someone like TCCanary, so often hung out to dry for his silliness, not to mention pure ignorance, to see a foreigner produce reasonably accurate numbers of this and that.

Even if it is (unqualified) guesswork, it is likely way better than you would ever be able to produce.

Now, go knock on Morty´s door. Bring this dull Bor fellow with you too. Morty may teach you a thing or two about useless oneliners, but then again, you probably know a thing or two about this already.

[quote user="grefstad"]Must be hard for someone like TCCanary, so often hung out to dry for his silliness, not to mention pure ignorance, to see a foreigner produce reasonably accurate numbers of this and that.

Even if it is (unqualified) guesswork, it is likely way better than you would ever be able to produce.

Now, go knock on Morty´s door. Bring this dull Bor fellow with you too. Morty may teach you a thing or two about useless oneliners, but then again, you probably know a thing or two about this already.[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/10517542_10152555371194467_6401666317089854919_n_zps72999288.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/10517542_10152555371194467_6401666317089854919_n_zps72999288.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Loool....won´t you go away an enjoy one of your slightly feminized glasses of red wine, will you, Morty. Such a joke of a forum poster.

I reckon if we have a long cold winter which is forecast that should see off a good few of us coffin dodgers.

[quote user="grefstad"]Must be hard for someone like TCCanary, so often hung out to dry for his silliness, not to mention pure ignorance, to see a foreigner produce reasonably accurate numbers of this and that. Even if it is (unqualified) guesswork, it is likely way better than you would ever be able to produce. Now, go knock on Morty´s door. Bring this dull Bor fellow with you too. Morty may teach you a thing or two about useless oneliners, but then again, you probably know a thing or two about this already.[/quote]

My silliness is deliberate, you stupidity isn''t. It''s not my fault that your guesswork is so easy to debunk that it only takes one line, you should do some research then you might be taken seriously.