Sign in to follow this  
Sandy Shore

Unlucky

Slipped when he took it, but otherwise has a great penalty record for us so I''m not sure why you''d lack confidence in one of our best players!

Preston at home I believe a few years ago. He tried one of those little dinked chips straight down the middle. The goalie had time to dive the wrong way, get back up and catch the ball. Not good. Since then I''ve also worried whenever Wes takes a penalty, the old Grant Holt slam it hard approach seemed to work pretty well.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Preston at home I believe a few years ago. He tried one of those little dinked chips straight down the middle. The goalie had time to dive the wrong way, get back up and catch the ball. Not good. Since then I''ve also worried whenever Wes takes a penalty, the old Grant Holt slam it hard approach seemed to work pretty well.[/quote]
Hmmm; although hard to discern from the long-distance, grainy footage, methinks you''ve embellished on that a little. From the reports of the time, it sounds as though the goalie didn''t actually dive, but stepped to one side and was able to reach back to block it. Not quite the same as flinging himself to the floor then getting up again and still preventing the ball from crossing the line.
I do take your point about the riskiness of the dinked shot approach, though. A straight blast down the middle or a well struck curler into the side netting seem to be less risky, but do still carry a chance of skying it or blasting wide of the posts.