Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

I think its fair to say...

lmaoyes stick a young promising goalkeeper with a championship defence in front of him against one of the best attacking forces in europegreat way to shred the kids confidence to pieces

Looks really promising, and he did well tonight, but let''s be honest, Everton weren''t exactly firing on all cylinders offensively. The additional height in the defence helped him a lot tonight, as we defended crosses very well for the most part.

Wasn''t punished when he came rushing out of his area either, so got away with one there!

Declan Rudd is 3 years older than Jack Butland, who Stoke are quite happy to entrust as their No.1.

If he''s good enough, maybe now time to show faith in him and give him a run.

I''d disagree re, Man City, I''d say its a good game to play him.......its unlikely that one single error will cost us the game?

John Ruddy has been a great goalkeeper for us and will continue to be so.... No need to play Rudd because we''ve had a couple of bad results

when he saved that shot low and pushed it away he was up and defending his goal in a second he looks a lot sharper and has more agility than the bulky ruddy

[quote user="norfolkngood"]when he saved that shot low and pushed it away he was up and defending his goal in a second he looks a lot sharper and has more agility than the bulky ruddy[/quote]He just did everything well.He isn''t a promising youngster anymore, he is a genuinely good keeper that should be playing first team football.Interesting dilemma for Alex Neil. I suspect that Ruddy will play at Man City, and will likely pick his game up a bit, knowing that Rudd is breathing down his neck.Which is how it should be.

Morty, since you were at the game, how commanding was Rudd around his area and coming for crosses? Ruddy is a big lad but don''t feel like he''s using it to his advantage at the moment, and doesn''t seem to be a calming influence on the defence.

Rudd is a skinnier lad, just wondered how he looked? Seems more agile than Ruddy and good at getting down low quickly for shots..

[quote user="hogesar"]Morty, since you were at the game, how commanding was Rudd around his area and coming for crosses? Ruddy is a big lad but don''t feel like he''s using it to his advantage at the moment, and doesn''t seem to be a calming influence on the defence.

Rudd is a skinnier lad, just wondered how he looked? Seems more agile than Ruddy and good at getting down low quickly for shots..[/quote]His command was good, no complaints at all.I think it helped that Bennett and Bassong looked assured, and Mulumbu provided a very effective screen in front of them.Rudd looked calm and assured, taking crosses well, especially on a drizzly night with a wet ball. Ruddy looks a bit panicky just now.Tricky call for Sir Alex.

Not to be a downer but I don''t think he displayed anything last night that would make me start him on Saturday ahead of Ruddy who has been a top, top keeper for us.

If he''d have saved a few pen''s or done anything spectacular it might sway opinion. He was solid, yes, and displayed he''s a very good keeper, but it''ll be Ruddy at the weekend.

[quote user="AJ"]Not to be a downer but I don''t think he displayed anything last night that would make me start him on Saturday ahead of Ruddy who has been a top, top keeper for us.

If he''d have saved a few pen''s or done anything spectacular it might sway opinion. He was solid, yes, and displayed he''s a very good keeper, but it''ll be Ruddy at the weekend.[/quote]All about opinions, most importantly Alex''s.I think the defensive display, as a whole was a lot better than the one against West Brom.

The goal aside (both last nights and West Brom) I thought we defended fairly well in both cases. We need to shake our conceding silly goals thing we''ve got going no at the moment. But in truth it was our lack of goals up top that hindered us again, had enough chances to score plenty.

Thought he had a really good game. Would have no complaints if he started on Saturday, but perhaps a bit harsh to chuck him at Man City which be a bit of a firing range if they''re on it .

[quote user="Jacko"]Thought he had a really good game. Would have no complaints if he started on Saturday, but perhaps a bit harsh to chuck him at Man City which be a bit of a firing range if they''re on it .[/quote]If thats the level he aspires to play to though, then thats what he has to deal with.

I disagree Morty, we didn''t see Mbokani chucked straight in to the first team- he was gradually nurtured in over the course of about 4 games. Just because the player is aspiring to a certain level, doesn''t mean he should be chucked in at the deepest possible end IMO.

Suppose you could argue that he has nothing to lose. But there is certainly a risk of his confidence being seriously knocked should he not get near to a couple of their goals.

Much rather see if Ruddy can respond, surely knowing that Rudd is pushing him close now, before then making a decision for the Swansea home game.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]I disagree Morty, we didn''t see Mbokani chucked straight in to the first team- he was gradually nurtured in over the course of about 4 games. Just because the player is aspiring to a certain level, doesn''t mean he should be chucked in at the deepest possible end IMO.

Suppose you could argue that he has nothing to lose. But there is certainly a risk of his confidence being seriously knocked should he not get near to a couple of their goals.

Much rather see if Ruddy can respond, surely knowing that Rudd is pushing him close now, before then making a decision for the Swansea home game.[/quote]The issue with Mbokani though was fitness, not experience.Either way its a win for us. Whether Rudd comes in and plays well to take his chance, or John Ruddy looks at last night and ups his game.And I think its a no lose for Rudd if he does play on Saturday and ships a few goals, as well most will say "Ah well, it was Man City, wasn''t it?" rather than lambast him.

Agree. If we are ever to try to bed Rudd in, it has to be now, in a game we are not expected to get anything from anyway.

And Ruddy has looked shady in recent games. Could be good for him to stay out of a potential Man C mauling.

I think the concern with putting him in at Man City would be if he''s under a lot of pressure which results in a mistake and then his confidence is dented. Doesn''t seem likely to me but that would be the risk if you have him start in the Prem against one of the top attacking sides in the Prem.

I think it would be a bit of a gamble, I''d go with Ruddy and see if he steps up his game, failing which Rudd can come in for the following game.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]I disagree Morty, we didn''t see Mbokani chucked straight in to the first team- he was gradually nurtured in over the course of about 4 games. Just because the player is aspiring to a certain level, doesn''t mean he should be chucked in at the deepest possible end IMO.

Much rather see if Ruddy can respond, surely knowing that Rudd is pushing him close now, before then making a decision for the Swansea home game.[/quote]People say things like this as if Rudd is a little boy that needs protection. He''s a big boy now!This is the same guy who was considered good enough to be our PL backup back in 2011-12, and made his PL debut coming off the bench against Chelsea when Ruddy was red carded. That was 4 years ago. Since then, he''s also had one-and-a-half seasons out on loan for first team experience.He''s ready. He just needs to be given the chance, and my fear is that if he doesn''t get it here soon, he''s going to find it somewhere else.

I understand the logic in what Morty and co are saying. But feel its easier for us as fans to see the bigger picture, shrug our shoulders and say that we would''ve lost anyway. This is Rudd''s big chance to prove himself. He will most certainly feel an enormous amount of stress to do so. Surely he must be concerned that if he does not perform he may not get another big stage chance- now that we are out of the league cup. FA cup games also being few and far between.

If Rudd could disconnect emotionally in such a way so as to not feel the pressure or knock of confidence from a heavy loss, then I would say do it- but I can''t see it.

This is also a decision that would most definitely face a lot of media attention during the game and much scrutiny afterwards should it backfire. Rudd would surely be aware of this too as the game is being played.

You could potentially argue the same in favour of starting Lafferty, he''s got nothing to lose so why not give him a try?

Rudd has slowly built momentum in the cup games and must be feeling quite confident at this moment in time, his first touch to completely fool Lukaku yesterday echoes this. However, I think we run the risk of shattering this progress by playing him against Man City.

Agree though that this can only be good for the team and that it will result in an eventual improvement in our goalkeeping situation, whether it be Ruddy upping his game, or Rudd making the step up.

''''People say things like this as if Rudd is a little boy that needs protection. He''s a big boy now!''''

It is different for a goalkeeper though. Ruddy joined us at what, 26, and initially really struggled with confidence issues before he eventually went on to become a key player of ours.

I don''t think that he''s not ready for a chance, just feel that Man City away is not the fixture to experiment. If he were to make a mistake early on then it could easily lead to disastrous game for him. Look at Boruc last weekend.

A goalkeeper ultimately relies on his long term confidence in himself to perform- how good he feels he is, overall. However, in a 90 minute match of such fine margins any single mistake can result in a huge drop of their current belief in their ability, or short term confidence- Boruc.. It''s the same logic reversed that resulted in outstanding performances such as Butland''s against us earlier in the season.

For a goalkeeper of relatively limited experience such as Rudd, I think that the chances of a mistake hugely effecting him are higher than a more experienced keeper who has perhaps been in that situation before and knows how to handle himself better mentally.

Playing between the sticks is a different proposition to being an outfield player if only for the way goalies are very rarely, if ever , subbed when they''re having a nightmare game. They almost never get swapped unless the starting goalie gets injured.Even without Aguero running riot it''s a big ask to put Rudd in the firing line on Sat. Although we''re probably going to lose anyway if they do rattle up a cricket score it won''t look great on his CV. Against that if he''s put in for the '' must win '' Swansea game the stakes are going to be even higher.Glad I don''t have to decide.

he might well have a fantastic game and be a one man wall like butland was against us but I forgot we are are Norwich and would rather play a player is out of form and has the worst shot per goal ratio that''s what is best instead of giving someone else a chance don''t reward failure these 1st team players need to know if they do not perform they are out of the team

Although damaging his confidence is a concern, this is also one of the few games where most likely any loss won''t be blamed on the keeper, so he has less to lose than if it were a tight game.

Arguably, it''s a game Rudd can afford to make a couple of mistakes in without attracting too much attention.

If he’s as good as he (and we) think he is then here’s his chance to prove it with plenty of action likely coming his way and plenty of opportunities to demonstrate his abilities. Keepers don’t often get that type of opportunity.

I’m sure he wants the chance, denying him it can be as damaging as shipping a bag full.