Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

What's happened to Lafferty this time

In our ''squad'' of strikers, he''s 4th choice behind Mbokani, Jerome and Grabban, and probably Hooper when he''s fit. Because he''s similar to Mbokani and Jerome in style, there''s no point having 3 of the same type of player in your 18 man squad - hence Jerome and Grabban were on the bench on Saturday. Some would argue he''s more on form than Jerome, so perhaps we''ll see tonight.

Aside from Saturday, our forward line isn''t performing too badly in my opinion.

What is it with our fans and lionising terrible strikers who don''t score goals. Bechhio, RVW and now Lafferty.

He isn''t playing because he isn''t good enough. He got one goal in 6 months in the Championship and has only ever twice scored double figures in a season (in Serie B and the SPL). Also clearly our problems stem from the back not the front- we''ve out scored 11 teams this season so the lack of a non-scoring striker who runs about a bit isn''t really the issue.

Maybe if he had been played as a centre forward and give as much opportunity as Grabban how would you be able to tell

Lafferty is 4th choice for a reason, his record elsewhere shows that - a few goals for NI against poor teams and for Norwich against a WBA side on the beach does not warrant a start for Norwich

KL has, or at least had, buckets loads of confidence when scoring this Autumn for NI and then qualifying for the Euros. Being a striker is often a confidence thing. I don''t think we have been very clever at seeking to leverage that more effectively, and for what its worth I rate him on a par with Grabban so if CJ and DM aren''t options I would actually have loved to see what KL could have done last night.

Whilst I would have preferred Mbok (missing through illness) or CamJam, it must be said Grabban played well last night. If he''d have scored I would have been content as he did have enough decent chances to put one away.

Laff''s can''t and won''t do the amount of running that the previous three do - I thought he''d have been given a run out last night but obviously Wisdom''s knock meant we had to keep Grabban on the pitch

[quote user="AJ"]Whilst I would have preferred Mbok (missing through illness) or CamJam, it must be said Grabban played well last night. If he''d have scored I would have been content as he did have enough decent chances to put one away.

Laff''s can''t and won''t do the amount of running that the previous three do - I thought he''d have been given a run out last night but obviously Wisdom''s knock meant we had to keep Grabban on the pitch[/quote]^^^ This.Lets not get embroiled in reasons Lafferty didn''t get any gametime, Alex Neil said that they would have made a more offensive ( ironic considering his nonsense on twitter last night) substitution, had it not been for Wisdom''s injury.

It''s a shame he didn''t get a chance last night but that''s the way it goes. Grabban played well overall but failed to take the chances that would''ve won it for us. Lafferty coming on for ET would really have given him a chance to show what he can do.

[quote user="king canary"]What is it with our fans and lionising terrible strikers who don''t score goals. Bechhio, RVW and now Lafferty.

He isn''t playing because he isn''t good enough. He got one goal in 6 months in the Championship and has only ever twice scored double figures in a season (in Serie B and the SPL). Also clearly our problems stem from the back not the front- we''ve out scored 11 teams this season so the lack of a non-scoring striker who runs about a bit isn''t really the issue.[/quote]

I must have missed all this lionising of RVW while he was at City ?

It''s funny isn''t it. The best thing you can do to enhance your reputation as a striker is not play.I find it interesting that Luciano Becchio can''t get in match day squads again back in Argentina. Now he''s trying to get a move back to Leeds! Things must be bad if you''re trying to get a move TO Leeds, and not from.http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/championship/2015-2016/luciano-becchio-keen-on-leeds-return-in-january_sto4969009/story.shtml

[quote user="FDC"]He''s injured at the minute.[/quote]Why was he on the bench at Everton then?Or has he picked up an injury since?