Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

What's happened to Lafferty this time

Did well against WBA in the cup.Sub for the Leicester game, didn''t do too much wrong in the 15 minutes he gotNot on bench last week at Newcastle and completely over looked again yesterday against WBANot saying he''s the answer to our lack of fire power but he must be worth a try

This policy of blocking players like him and becchio is not good enough from our club ,like you say may not be the answer but can''t do much worse .

[quote user="silvester"]This policy of blocking players like him and becchio is not good enough from our club ,like you say may not be the answer but can''t do much worse .[/quote]Seriously?

I think our club are grossly unfair to the squad. Especially the fringe players. Perhaps once a player has played five games he should be benched until every one who could play in his position has played at least three.

I think that would be fairer...

Old fashioned centre forwards like Lafferty are few and far between. They can very good at unsettling the best defenders especially a defence with 9 or 10 players behind the ball defending a slender lead. So often last, and this, season a problem for City.

[quote user="gitto"]Old fashioned centre forwards like Lafferty are few and far between. They can very good at unsettling the best defenders especially a defence with 9 or 10 players behind the ball defending a slender lead. So often last, and this, season a problem for City.[/quote]If a player is good enough, and is of value to the team, then its unlikely he isn''t included in some way.Why do you think players like him are few and far between these days?

There again Morty , swap your logic around ,,,, if a player continually demonstrates that he is , at least at this time , way out of his depth playing in the defence , surely he shouldn''t get into the team , captain or not ?

The truth is , as in all team / manager relationships , some deserving miss their chance , and undeserving get theirs .

Lafferty has been complete shart at most of the clubs he''s been at, even Rangers (in the SPL that is constantly described as a lesser league that our Championship).

The fact is, he''s scored a few goals for NI and suddenly he''s the new Pele. David Healy did too, and on the whole he was appalling at club level.

Just not Premier League class.

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]There again Morty , swap your logic around ,,,, if a player continually demonstrates that he is , at least at this time , way out of his depth playing in the defence , surely he shouldn''t get into the team , captain or not ?

The truth is , as in all team / manager relationships , some deserving miss their chance , and undeserving get theirs .[/quote]It depends really if you have a replacement thats better.In my mind theres no mystery here, Alex Neil simply asks himself "Is Kyle Lafferty better than a player who is in the team right now?"And the answer, obviously is "no"Case closed.

Well I don''t really disagree with anything that''s been said but I''m just puzzled as to why he got the nod to be on the bench 3 games ago and hasn''t featured since. I can undestand having a more defensive subs bench away from home but we had 2 strikers on the bench on Saturday and he wasn''t one of them. IMO he''s a different, & better, option than Grabban when Plan A hasn''t worked and we''re losing at home & need a goal.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Well I don''t really disagree with anything that''s been said but I''m just puzzled as to why he got the nod to be on the bench 3 games ago and hasn''t featured since. I can undestand having a more defensive subs bench away from home but we had 2 strikers on the bench on Saturday and he wasn''t one of them. IMO he''s a different, & better, option than Grabban when Plan A hasn''t worked and we''re losing at home & need a goal.[/quote]Perhaps his thinly veiled threat about how he may have to leave Norwich if he didn''t start getting games, didn''t go down too well with Alex Neil.

[quote user="morty"]Perhaps his thinly veiled threat about how he may have to leave Norwich if he didn''t start getting games, didn''t go down too well with Alex Neil.[/quote]Might be wrong but didn''t he say that before he was sub against Leicester?Anyway, my guess is he might start on Tuesday.If he does, and if he scores, it will be interesting to see what happens then.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]Perhaps his thinly veiled threat about how he may have to leave Norwich if he didn''t start getting games, didn''t go down too well with Alex Neil.[/quote]Might be wrong but didn''t he say that before he was sub against Leicester?Anyway, my guess is he might start on Tuesday.If he does, and if he scores, it will be interesting to see what happens then.[/quote]I don''t actually know when he said it, but it doesn''t really matter, he himself considers that he should be starting.I think people have to keep things like this in perspective, we have been here before with Fox and Becchio, good players start games, its rare a manager will leave truly good players out.Its all pointing to him, as hooly fan put it, being shart.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Literally could not be any worse then what we have. Taken every chance he''s been given and deserves a decent shot at the Premier League.[/quote]Can''t say I''m really a fan of picking players based on the philosophy of "He can''t be any worse than what we have"

Not often I agree with the "king of oneliners", but there may well be something in it, that AN did not like Lafferty''s little dig of leaving the club in January unless he gets some playing time.

AN probably does not like to be held ransom...

Lafferty isn''t the answer to our woes. Anyone not playing when we''re losing seems to the given the ''may-as-well-chuck-him-in'' tag.

What was more worrying was how we seemed to run out of ideas against WBA. Slinging crosses into the box clearly wasn''t working. A more subtle tactical change was required, but never arrived.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Lafferty isn''t the answer to our woes. Anyone not playing when we''re losing seems to the given the ''may-as-well-chuck-him-in'' tag.

What was more worrying was how we seemed to run out of ideas against WBA. Slinging crosses into the box clearly wasn''t working. A more subtle tactical change was required, but never arrived.[/quote]

Putting in crosses from the start was OK, as Mbokani could always be favorite to get on the end of one or two of them.

But as Mbokani increasingly found it difficult, and Wes was almost invisible, we ran out of ideas. After going 1-0 down, AN should at least put on another forward and go 2 up top to try to force the issue a bit more. Out luxurey of an extra man in the middle did not pay off anyway, on the day, so he could have tried to give Mbokani a better chance, by having someone next to him in. That did not happen until the 80th minute, and it was almost criminal.

seems strange to me the one of the top scorers and on form international strikers from the euro qualifying cannot get in a struggling match day squad like ours

To my mind you have a squad of players to cover injuries and suspensions, to change the system or to come in for players who are currently out of form, particularly when you''ve just lost 3 games on the bounce.Picking players because they "can''t be any worse than what we have" is no more risky than picking players who are out of form or not good enough, and we''ve got quite a few of those at the moment.

[quote user="Making Plans"]To my mind you have a squad of players to cover injuries and suspensions, to change the system or to come in for players who are currently out of form, particularly when you''ve just lost 3 games on the bounce.Picking players because they "can''t be any worse than what we have" is no more risky than picking players who are out of form or not good enough, and we''ve got quite a few of those at the moment.[/quote]I wouldn''t pick Lafferty over Mbokani or Jerome.Would you?

[quote user="morty"]I wouldn''t pick Lafferty over Mbokani or Jerome.Would you?[/quote]I would have him on the bench at the moment and certainly ahead of Grabban in the pecking order.Mbo has done ok & deserves a run of games even though I thought he was pretty ineffective on Saturday.The trouble with Jerome is that by PL standards he misses too many easy chances.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]I wouldn''t pick Lafferty over Mbokani or Jerome.Would you?[/quote]I would have him on the bench at the moment and certainly ahead of Grabban in the pecking order.Mbo has done ok & deserves a run of games even though I thought he was pretty ineffective on Saturday.The trouble with Jerome is that by PL standards he misses too many easy chances.[/quote]I think Grabban will be ahead of him on the bench because of his pace.Really Lafferty is too similar to Mbokani and Jerome,  in what he will bring to the game.

Let''s ask ourselves if perhaps Mr Lafferty banging onto the press about how he might have to leave in January has coincided with his exclusion from the squads since.

Mr Neil probably not impressed!

well I would rather someone wants to play and maybe have to move than someone who wants to sit in the reserves

remember this is a player who is one of the current top scorers in international football at the moment level on goals scored with rooney in european championship games in a worse national team so yes if I was him I would be unhappy not getting a chance

I think a lot of NCFC fans have mistaken Lafferty''s hard work rate and determination as some sort of footballing ability.

I could run around the pitch for 90 minutes like a madman, but that doesn''t mean I should be playing up front for us.

He''s clearly not in Neil''s plans. Ricky played for us this year and was shipped out a few days later. I don''t think an appearance in the League Cup is anything to read into.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]he didn''t do to bad running around for his international team !![/quote]This whole international thing really is misleading a few people.The teams he scored against weren''t the best, and as has been pointed out, David Healy did well internationally.

yes morty I agree in some of what you are saying but this is our clubs problem

players are not performing not wining out of form but are not getting replaced the 1st team can under perform but others like lafferty don''t get the chance ( not just lafferty ) you can not reward failure

I would of thought he was worth a place on the bench at the moment and lets face he has scored goals that''s a fact and the old saying of if you put them in the corner and they go in doesn''t matter who you play you will score

I am not laffertys No1 fan but we need to keep everyone on their toes looking over their shoulders competition for places at the moment we have 1st teamers that know they wont be dropped and reserves that know they wont play not healthy