Sign in to follow this  
Prince of Darkness

A lack of mental strength

You could just sense it last night that it would be our players that would crack last night

Wes walking up to the pen and Redmond didn''t look confident whereas the Everton players were the complete opposite

This is part of the reason that we are conceding so many goals.

We lack a leader on the pitch like Holt or BK

A lack of mental strength?

Something you have in common with our squad then Waveney! [:d]

I saw plenty of mental strength at Wembley to know that we didn''t lose because of that. Redmond and Wes in particular showed plenty of coolness at Carrow Road when Ipswich turned up for the 2nd leg of the playoff.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]You could just sense it last night that it would be our players that would crack last night

Wes walking up to the pen and Redmond didn''t look confident whereas the Everton players were the complete opposite

We lack a leader on the pitch like Holt or BK[/quote]Whilst I can see what you''re doing here, I don''t entirely disagree.And definitely agree that we need a leader on the pitch. Martin, as nice a guy as he is, isn''t one.IS BK meant to be BJ? ( snigger)

[quote user="Disco Dale"]You could just sense it last night that it would be our players that would crack last night

We lack a leader on the pitch like Holt or BK[/quote]I noticed exactly the same with Redmond. He looked like a lamb on it''s way to be slaughtered.

Whilst this post is a complete wind up, the thing I would say is that Redmond is a very highly strung character and I feared taking a penalty might have been too much for him. Sadly it was.

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Disco Dale"]You could just sense it last night that it would be our players that would crack last night

We lack a leader on the pitch like Holt or BK[/quote]I noticed exactly the same with Redmond. He looked like a lamb on it''s way to be slaughtered.[/quote]I think, and this sn''t a criticism of him, I think he is a great player, that he lacks the judgement as when to attack, and when to hold back. I think that, too often, he presses too much and leaves the right back very exposed.It was obvious in the West Brom game that he was under orders to just hold back a bit, and last night he looked a bit indecisive, but that could be a lot to do with playing in front of the third different RB in three games.

Although you could argue with the odds game of "mental strength", like Ipswich playoff games, Boro playoff win, you can easily find a lot of other games where our "mental strength" has been on a level far below what is expected of a team in the top division.

Enough to mention the surrender at Fulham, the whimper relegation under Hughton/Adams, failures to beat teams on level, or under our level (seen a few times in recent seasons), etc.

I could list more examples, but you should see the picture by now, I guess.

Yes, we lack leaders in the current team.

No Malky, no Holt, and there are too many modest nice guys, in the Howson mould. The guy who could be your mothers son-in-law.

We dont need too many nice guys. We need winners. A few bullies, and a few leaders.

Someone like Mulumbu could easily be the guy we need in the centre of the park. We know there is a bit of bite in him. Same goes for VOO. I thought he did well yesterday, as did Mulumbu and O''Neil as well.

But looking at Martin, Howson, Wes, Redmond, Grabban, Hooper, Bassong, Whittaker...even Ruddy.

Not too much bite in this lot, I think.

Discuss.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Disco Dale"]You could just sense it last night that it would be our players that would crack last night

We lack a leader on the pitch like Holt or BK[/quote]I noticed exactly the same with Redmond. He looked like a lamb on it''s way to be slaughtered.[/quote]I think, and this sn''t a criticism of him, I think he is a great player, that he lacks the judgement as when to attack, and when to hold back. I think that, too often, he presses too much and leaves the right back very exposed.It was obvious in the West Brom game that he was under orders to just hold back a bit, and last night he looked a bit indecisive, but that could be a lot to do with playing in front of the third different RB in three games.[/quote]I meant how Redmond looked just before taking the penalty, but otherwise I agree. The other side of the coin to his shortcomings is that he could go on to make a huge profit for the club when he moves on. People who claim he''s rubbish are clueless IMHO.

We sure did lack mental strengths at Wembley against a team that had completely done us twice in the space of a few months...

Or, Everton''s better and more experienced players just took some better penalties in front of their loud and from our point of view off-putting crowd?

We battled for 120 minutes against a very good team away from home in what most modern footballers would consider a meaningless game.

We did really well yesterday, for once I''ve not got even a single small concern to raise after that display.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]Anyone still want to argue we have a mental strength problem?[/quote]ruddy has one, the team does not. Ruddy lets Tettey clear that ball, we would''ve walked away with a point today and we would''ve been patting ourselves on the back.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]Anyone still want to argue we have a mental strength problem?[/quote]ruddy has one, the team does not. Ruddy lets Tettey clear that ball, we would''ve walked away with a point today and we would''ve been patting ourselves on the back.

Certainly, I''ll argue because it is garbage - playing against one of Europe''s top teams with players valued at higher than our entire squad, we can take quite a lot of credit from today''s performance. What we don''t need is a-holes gleefully wallowing in every deficiency and trying to make more of it than is there.

There''s no question about it. You just knew as soon as we equalised we would undo the good work within minutes. We cannot defend for toffee and it''s going to inevitably lead to relegation.