Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_Yahoo

Darren Eadie - your memories

Hello there.

I''m writing an article about Darren Eadie (it''s a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans'' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn''t even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Norwich. Especially good would be any personal memories you have of meeting him/seeing him around town - stuff like that.

I''d want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website next week. So if you don''t want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won''t be.

I should point out I''m not a City fan, I''m actually a Hammer. Feel free to abuse me for this!

Cheers,

Kevin

true story.. when he was a YTS youth player him and jamie cureton lived with a local family, their daughter was in my class at school. she got me their autograph.

Great player when he wasnt injured (which was far too often).

When he was fit we often relied on him too much as he was far better than a lot of the players we had.

Would have been a regular left winger for England if he stayed fit.

These days a great character and always great to hear on Radio Norfolk

Is he in line to do the local weather forecast on Mustard TV when it is on ( which isn''t very often)

Last time I saw him he was hosting a quiz for Norwich City fans.
My favourite memory is him getting John Wark sent off. Wark was just shy of getting his bus pass and Eadie was explosively quick, he burst past him and the cumbersome old scummer scythed him down. The referee reached for the red and we went on to beat the dirty Ipswichers 3-0 with Eadie scoring one of the goals. 
While giving the filth a thorough pasting is always enjoyable, this was to be the last high point of that season as we succumbed to relegation. In fact, this game was the only victory we managed after Christmas that season (I think) but at least it was one that lives long in the memory. 

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Last time I saw him he was hosting a quiz for Norwich City fans.
My favourite memory is him getting John Wark sent off. Wark was just shy of getting his bus pass and Eadie was explosively quick, he burst past him and the cumbersome old scummer scythed him down. The referee reached for the red and we went on to beat the dirty Ipswichers 3-0 with Eadie scoring one of the goals. 
While giving the filth a thorough pasting is always enjoyable, this was to be the last high point of that season as we succumbed to relegation. In fact, this game was the only victory we managed after Christmas that season (I think) but at least it was one that lives long in the memory. 
[/quote][8] Jonny Wark is illegitimate.....[8]

fox on the right, eadie on the left, and we probably havnt had two wingers as good since, and that was 93, pace to burnlike others said, should have been an england regular

Fox and Eadie were second class wingers compared to Huckerby, and going back to the era of Bobby Brennan and Johnny Gavin Errol Crossan etc We have had some terrific wingers when you had the right and left wingers playing every game before the transition to the various systems changing the game

Many thanks for your replies so far guys - enlightening stuff!

I''ll be writing this today so you have any more thoughts to share on Darren Eadie, now''s the time to do it.

Cheers!

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Last time I saw him he was hosting a quiz for Norwich City fans.
[/quote]

Yeah I was at that game and when Wark was sent off and we went on to win 3-0 it was like dreamland. back then derby wins were rarer. It really makes you appreciate last season when we could play them four times and have 3 wins and a draw !

My favourite memory of Eadie was the time a goalkeeper came out of his area to make a clearance, the ball came to Eadie about 10 yards inside their half and he chipped it into the empty goal. I think it''s on youtube.

Also one time I found myself in the queue behind him at Argos. It was when he was off injured but still in his prime playing for us. I was too embarrassed to ask him how the recovery was going or indeed to say anything, he just seemed like a normal bloke and somehow it felt wrong to say anything to him.

Also I heard him on Radio 5 when I was driving down to 1p5wich for the away playoff semi leg. He made the point that because the playoff would determine who had the chance to go up to the Prem, it was much more important than a normal derby and will still be talked about in 20 years time so whoever won would get massive bragging rights. Happily he was spot on !

When I was a Mascot, 21 years ago (wow, that long ago!) I was in the dressing room before they went for a warm up and lost my programme they had given me to get signed by all the players. Eadie gave me his and took it upon himself to take me round the squad and get a signature. Lovely bloke. Then went and warmed up on the pitch with him, Bryan Gunn, Andy Marshall and Ade Akinbyi.