Sign in to follow this  
Sandy Shore

Team and approach for Man City

I would like us to go all out to win this match and play with the style and committment we saw against Everton. There is a good chance we could lose it however we play, but what do people think?  Go to defend - in other words go for a 0-0, or attack them  and at least hope to score a couple of goals in the hope that even if we don''t draw or win, we would keep the goal difference down? 

Going for a 0-0 or defending and hoping to nick a goal is a flawed idea, because we know we will probably be tonked anyway if we did that. Much better to be positive as we usually try to be under AN.  Team wise I wouldn''t complain if we put out the same team as against Everton - thought they were brilliant.  A good team and it would give us an exceptional bench to back it up.  Real selection problem for AN because several players have put themselves right in line for a call up to the premier league line up.  Rudd and Ofoe, particularly.

I believe that AN installs great confidence in his group.

However that confidence as a defensive group is going to be questioned. I believe we need that defensive strength against these top teams and not go full out attack.

I feel mulumbu and tettey should start.

Jarvis, Brady, Redmond and mbokani ahead of those 2.

Play counter attacking football, Jarvis has the flair to fill the hoolahan role and add goals.

Tough tough game, but I can see mulumbu showing his grit. I wonder if he may be considered captain material.

An all-out attacking approach would be suicidal. I wouldn''t advocate sitting back deep either, we want to press them when they have possession and pose an attacking threat ourselves but we''ve got to do it sensibly. Our fullbacks will have to think carefully about when they commit going forward and the rest will have to be aware of the need to give cover.

Also I wonder whether AN plans to start with Wes given that he played 120 minutes on Tuesday ? It''s a dilemma because if you start with him in the lineup, you''ve got to plan to change him after 60-70 minutes really.

For me it''s got to be Olsson, Bennett, Basso in defence and at RB I would go for Wisdom myself if fit, but I expect AN to put Martin there.

Got to start with both Tettey and Mulumbu to give our midfield plenty of bite, Mbokani up front. I''d go with Wes in midfield with a free role, and Brady/Vadis on the flanks. This gives us Redmond and Jarvis as attacking options off the bench.

I like bristolcanary''s team, and I think we can still be positive without being reckless. We don''t need both full backs bombing forward at every opportunity, we can and should be a little more measured. My only slight reservation would be lack of pace through the centre and MB getting isolated, but I''d rather have that than an exposed fragile defence.

Rudd

wisdom ( if fit ) Bennett bassong Brady

Tetty dorrans mulumbu

Redmond jarvis

Mbokani

one of the 3 deep midfields is going to have to work up and down the middle be a no 10 when we have the ball and deep when we lose it

Rudd

Wisdom Bennett Bassong Olsson

Mulumbu Tettey

Jarvis    Ofoe   Brady

Jerome

I''d prefer Wisdom''s chances against Sterling than the other available options. Mulumbu, Tettey and Ofoe to offer some heft and steel against Fernandinho, Fernando and Toure - they''re very big and physical in the middle. Jarvis and Brady to offer some pace on the counter and Jerome to start as he works the defence harder. Redmond, Hoolahan and MBokani on as circumstances dictate.

I don''t expect us to deviate from our approach to away games just because its Man City.If we''re anything less than positive and pressing it won''t end well.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]Rudd

Martin Bennett bassong Brady

Tetty mulumbu

Dorrans hoolahan jarvis

Mbokani

Subs to come on redmond Jerome[/quote]

I imagine this won''t be far from the starting 11. Only thing I''d change is maybe resting Hoolahan and playing Howson to cover more ground in the midfield. This is obviously banking on Mulumbu being fully fit.

Two holding midfielders at a minimum with Ruddy to start. Ruddy does a lot more for us than people give him credit for, and even if there were an argument to drop him, it certainly isn''t against a free-scoring team away from home with a porous defense in front of him - imagine if Rudd let in four or five, then we''ve got two keepers with fragile confidence and a manager who''s made a stupid gamble.

Aside from Ruddy, who (if he''s being managed properly) should view this as a chance to prove he''s top bin, the rest of the team in my opinion should view this as a free hit/training exercise. We''re not expected to win, and if we''re honest we''re not expected to lose by less than 2 goals. With that in mind, therefore, I''d expect AN to keep it simple. Stay compact, concentrate on shape off the ball and attempt to counter when there''s an opportunity, probably thrpugh the wings. There''s no way we''ll play a high line as they''ll just pick us off.

I agree with AJ, in that I think we won''t start with either Hoolahan or Redmond. I''d play Howson - confidence is a big thing and don''t forget he''s had a happy time at the Etihad in the past, and he provides a more solid alternative to Wes/Redmond.

As an aside, I don''t think anyone ever ''plays'' for 0-0; you always want to go and win the game, but you may sacrifice the amount of ''attacking'' players to weight towards the defence. I think Mbokani up front with Jarvis Howson and Dorrans trying to feed him provides a decent attacking threat, but it is obviously limited.

[quote user="Platonic"]Two holding midfielders at a minimum with Ruddy to start. Ruddy does a lot more for us than people give him credit for, and even if there were an argument to drop him, it certainly isn''t against a free-scoring team away from home with a porous defense in front of him - imagine if Rudd let in four or five, then we''ve got two keepers with fragile confidence and a manager who''s made a stupid gamble.

Aside from Ruddy, who (if he''s being managed properly) should view this as a chance to prove he''s top bin, the rest of the team in my opinion should view this as a free hit/training exercise. We''re not expected to win, and if we''re honest we''re not expected to lose by less than 2 goals. With that in mind, therefore, I''d expect AN to keep it simple. Stay compact, concentrate on shape off the ball and attempt to counter when there''s an opportunity, probably thrpugh the wings. There''s no way we''ll play a high line as they''ll just pick us off.

I agree with AJ, in that I think we won''t start with either Hoolahan or Redmond. I''d play Howson - confidence is a big thing and don''t forget he''s had a happy time at the Etihad in the past, and he provides a more solid alternative to Wes/Redmond.

As an aside, I don''t think anyone ever ''plays'' for 0-0; you always want to go and win the game, but you may sacrifice the amount of ''attacking'' players to weight towards the defence. I think Mbokani up front with Jarvis Howson and Dorrans trying to feed him provides a decent attacking threat, but it is obviously limited.[/quote]This is a brilliant post, and I agree with all of it.My team would be:RuddyMartin Bennett Bassong OlssonTettey MulumbuJarvis Howson BradyMbokaniLeave too many holes in midfield and we run the risk of being demolished. Jarvis and Brady will offer more defensive cover than Redmond, ditto Howson as opposed to Hoolahan. We could even play Dorrans on the right, but I think we need a bit of pace and trickery out wide as we have to offer some kind of threat on the counter.

Norfolk n good I like that

in answer to a question about two left wingers I would have Jarvis going through the middle

He is more than capable to play the number 10 role and come back.

This will be the first game a while where we have less possession so maybe one of our wingers on the bench so we have ''gas in the tank''

We need our wide players to be a threat so that we can break with pace and use their attributes alongside mbokani

We will need our most mobile and fiesty of players out there and judging by Tuesday, that team were certainly that.  Will this be the first game Mulumbu and Tettey start together? Who knows, but if so, it should be a good combination. Could it be -                 RuddWisdom Bennett Bassong Olsson          Tettey Mulumbu          Ofoe Jarvis Brady               Mbokani A good strong bench there too.

I would think it unlikely that Wisdom starts, he was okay the other night, but Whittaker was better.But if Alex is determined to shoehorn Martin in, it will be at right back.

I think AN will go for a similar midfield line-up to the Liverpool away game. Where Howson played instead of Wes, with two wide-men counter-attacking. The only question is whether he gives Mulumbu a second game in five days. If not, Dorrans gets the nod.

------------------------Ruddy-------------------------

Martin---------Bennett-----Bassong---------Brady

-----------------------Tettey--------------------------

Redmond---Howson---Mulumbu/Dorrans---Jarvis

----------------------Mbokani-------------------------

Ruddy

Whittaker Bennett Bassong Olsson

Mulumbu

Dorrans Tettey Howson Brady

Jerome

Not sure about Wisdom at RB for this one, Martin on the bench, Jarvis or Redmond to come on for pace when its 0-0 after 60 mins(!), O''Neil, Hoolahan, Ofoe & Mbokani on the bench.

While there is the possibility of shipping a few in the first half, I believe AN''s "don''t concede in the first half" approach is achievable with a team similar to above. Will be interesting to see if he finds space for Tettey & Mulumbu in the starting 11. Jerome struggles to find the net but the only way I can visualise a win is keeping it to 0-0 or 1-1 for 70mins and springing the likes of Redmond or Mbokani. With 1 up top, Jerome gives a defence more to think about for the first three quarters.

Think Olsson should be given the start for this one but I''m not sure about my Dorrans + Whittaker right-side. Maybe Tettey could be given specific instructions here? With two holding midfielders on the pitch, Howson can be played where he''s effective which for the most part hasn''t been happening so far this season. Wes has been a little off the last few weeks and needs a breather.

No Silva or Aguero, extra day''s rest (ignore travelling!), expectant home crowd - you never know - could take points off them - or could be another 7-0 hockeying - this is sport!

If we "go for it" we could easily end up losing 7-0 again - which would be a real blow to any confidence left in the group.

The plan has surely got to be to keep it very solid, see if we can hold them at 0-0 for an hour and then look to hit them on the counter attack. I''m thinking ala Chelsea (a) in one of Neil Adams first games in charge.

Team I would go with:

---------------------Ruddy-------------------

---------Martin---Bennett---Bassong-----

Whittaker---Mulumbu---Tettey---Olsson

---------Howson---------------Brady-------

--------------------Redmond----------------

If we can hold it at 0-0, then after an hour I would put Grabban(Or Jerome) on for Whittaker, and Dorrans on for Mulumbu (who will likely be tired) - pushing the full backs (Martin/Olsson) to a more traditional position and Redmond back into midfield. I would then look to hit them with pace on the counter attack.

Jim M,

If I were the manager, which obviously I''m not, I would go with something similar, not just for tomorrow but for future games too, on the basis this strengthens our defensive set up but still allows for attacking options, particularly with Mulumbu (and the FB''s) pushing forward, which still leaves 3 at the back plus Tettey

Although I may give some consideration to changing the GK, not just because Rudd may (or may not) perform better but because it may give the defence less to wory about, I''m of the opinion that JR, like most keepers, is a ''confidence'' player and that his confidence is at a lower ebb at the moment.

I would probably play RM as a sweeper behind Seb & Bennett, allowing him to step up as and when required or go left or right as needed.

I think I wouild play Jarvis instead of Howson and Mbokani instead of Redmond up front.

Substitutions would depend on the situation, but Redmond as an impact sub, same possibly with Jerome?Lafferty or Grabban, we could also revert back to 4 - 5 - 1 or 4 - 4- 2 with just a little tinkering

@RayI don''t get this confidence stuff with regard to Ruddy. Are you saying he shouldn''t be dropped because his confidence, already at a low ebb, would take a further knock? My question is: what is more important right here and now: trying something that could help reduce the number of goals we are conceding with JR in the team, or giving priority to massaging his fragile confidence? If we were comfortably mid-table and producing the performances and results to keep us there, and/or Declan Rudd was a long way off being an adequate replacement, giving JR more time might make sense. But neither of those is true of our current situation.

I wouldn''t be surprised if Seb doesn''t play tomorrow. At Goodison he was completely shattered and practically unable to walk in the final 2 minutes. Wes also was struggling with cramp at the end of the match - he had worked his socks off but was barely walking as well at the end - a starting place on the bench methinks.

So as much as it scares me I think it will be Ryan alongside RMart on Saturday, with Whitts at RB (mention of Wisdom having an injury in the Alex interview). Ollson LB.

I also think the Mbokani being ill bit is a bit of mind game defledctor and he will start. In midfield, the choices are endless - however Howson seems to like the Etihad! Tettey will be back but don''t think Neil will start with Mulumbu alongside him. Vadis will probably start instead of Jarvis (unfortunately). For some reason on Tuesday the team did not use Jarvis - always making himself available but always by passed - there must be a reason for that? Redderz and Dorrans the other places.

westcoastcanary,

I said, "Although I may give some consideration to changing the GK, not just because Rudd may (or may not) perform better but because it may give the defence less to wory about, I''m of the opinion that JR, like most keepers, is a ''confidence'' player and that his confidence is at a lower ebb at the moment."

Having re-read it I''m not sure where the doubt may be, however that''s probably because I wrote it and it was in reply to Jim Moriarty''s team selection which had Ruddy in goal. I most certainly would look at the GK position, simply because I think Ruddy does appear to be lacking in confidence at the moment (could be wrong of course), this in turn can impact the back 4, something they can well do without at the moment. So, would I or wouldn''t I? Not sure, would need more ''training ground'' info. That said, I would be quite happy to see Rudd in goal (I do wish he was called Smith or something, would make all this so much easier).

3 goalies, 7 defenders and one striker who can sit on the half way line in hope that we get some possession.

Oh well, I was close and sadly JR confirmed my concerns. I thought we looked a far better outfit overall and personally I would stick with this set up if not for Swansea for the following game(s) thereafter when RM is back.

Jim Moriarty''s team;

Team I would go with:

---------------------Ruddy-------------------

---------Martin---Bennett---Bassong-----

Whittaker---Mulumbu---Tettey---Olsson

---------Howson---------------Brady-------

--------------------Redmond----------------

My tweaks;

If I were the manager, which obviously I''m not, I would go with something similar, not just for tomorrow but for future games too, on the basis this strengthens our defensive set up but still allows for attacking options, particularly with Mulumbu (and the FB''s) pushing forward, which still leaves 3 at the back plus Tettey

Although I may give some consideration to changing the GK, not just because Rudd may (or may not) perform better but because it may give the defence less to wory about, I''m of the opinion that JR, like most keepers, is a ''confidence'' player and that his confidence is at a lower ebb at the moment.

I would probably play RM as a sweeper behind Seb & Bennett, allowing him to step up as and when required or go left or right as needed.

I think I wouild play Jarvis instead of Howson and Mbokani instead of Redmond up front.

Substitutions would depend on the situation, but Redmond as an impact sub, same possibly with Jerome?Lafferty or Grabban, we could also revert back to 4 - 5 - 1 or 4 - 4- 2 with just a little tinkering