Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

This is getting beyond a joke!

Ok, I can accept that we don''t want to pay wages in May.  Fair enough we don''t want to pay new players wages in June either (IMO we should but never mind).  But for god''s sake it''s 3 and a half weeks until we kick off the new season!  I''m not going to Dereham tonight but how can a team looking for the title barely be able to put a squad out, just weeks before the season? It''s pathetic.

We might have been waiting for Greeno and/or Damo to leave.  But the time of waiting has been and gone.  We MUST improve the squad NOW with quality players that will help us get promoted.

I have always trusted Worthy and will continue to.  But time is ticking and instead of strengthening our team is getting weaker by the day....

[quote]Ok, I can accept that we don''t want to pay wages in May. Fair enough we don''t want to pay new players wages in June either (IMO we should but never mind). But for god''s sake it''s 3 and a half weeks ...[/quote]

I tell you DD, things are starting to pong a bit at City!.

I know you''ve always backed Worthy (I haven''t and don''t, but will) but whenever I mention this lack of activity, people tell me not to panic.

Well sod that mate!!.

PANIC NOW!.

well i for one think there is something going on .Looks like johnson could be on his way

there seems little headway of new players coming in and time is running out

what are we going to put out against inter no wonder tickets are slow

who wants to go a sit there and watch us get stuffed.

we need some body in we have funds but my god this must

be one of the most uneventful pre seasons ever 

it must be there hanging out for francis or greeno money well that may be to late

the problem is even if we bring in some quality, the pre season
is crucial for bringing together team spirit and tactics.
with all the changes we could have a new squad, with new players,
who hardly know each other come matchday. this could make
us slow out of the blocks and that could really hit us down
the road when we finally get going.

I think that DD''S title is a little strong, but I am starting to agree in principle. We have a friendly tonight and of course some games in Holland this weekend, we need these games for players to gel together. With Wigan (seemingly) winning the race for Ryan Taylor''s signature we will have to start again for right-back cover. 

Come on Worthy, fly Taylor to Colney, give him the tour, it never fails!!

Its all very worrying. To date I reckon we need:

Central Defender
Right Back Cover
Central Midfielder (x2 if Damo leaves)
Right Midfielder (x2 if Johnson leaves)
Left Midfield cover

The problem is....WE HAVE NO MONEY!!!

If Johnson goes, whoop-de-doo we''re down another player and there''d be very little chance of bringing in quality replacement for his sale price. Let alone getting in players for other positions.

Last time round Worthy had the bonus of getting in loaners right the way up to Christmas...but not this time. He has to get what he needs (and get it right) by September otherwise we''re stuffed until christmas.

All of our main targets are either gone or too expensive (they cost somthing) and we''re still waiting to sell Greeno and Damo.

Heres to another 9 years in the CCC. Bloody fantastic!

[quote]lets calm down. Lets see how many we bring in this week perhaps and panik over the weekend?[/quote]

well said its a good bet by the weekend things just might start to take shape kris commons being the first.

Will everyone just calm down.  There is no way Worthy would even consider selling Jonson if he didnt already have several other signings in the offing - he''s not stupid (contrary to popular opinion!).  Yes we are a little bare in places and yes we need new players, but there is STILL time.  We have so many reasons to be cheerful: -

1) We have the BEST striker in this league in Dean Ashton.

2) We have the BEST strike partnership in this league in Ashton/McKenzie/Thorne.

3) We have an AWESOME player in Darren Huckerby who single-handedly destroyed defenses last season, won Player of the Season and all without Ashton as well.

4) We have the BEST young central defender in the league and a future captain in Shackell.

5) We have brought in 3 very capable players, who would walk into most teams in this division, yet spent NOTHING.

6) We have the BEST goalkeeper in this division and very capable vack up if he is sold.

7) WE have a GOOD manager and a GOOD board who are working well for the overall future of this great club.

8) We have a FANTASTIC stadium.

9) We have GREAT supporters.

10) We are FEARED by many, many teams in this division.

11) IPSWI** are selling or releasing their best players

So cheer up for goodness sake and keep the faith (as DD would say)

[quote]Will everyone just calm down. There is no way Worthy would even consider selling Jonson if he didnt already have several other signings in the offing - he''s not stupid (contrary to popular opinion!)....[/quote]

totally agree, great post. Everyone should read that before panicking

It is a touch on the worrying side that we haven''t signed many players to replace those who have left. However, the people who run the football club can''t suddenly go eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr what do we do again... whats your name... what is a football... If we''re letting players go, its because there are others we are going to be signing. So lets all calm down and as some nice chap said... lets wait for the weekend.

Yella Fella - an excellent post and I can''t argue with any of it. At Championship level we are in a very strong position.

I just hope we have one eye on getting talent for the future too, rather than nigel''s favourite old boys brigade!

Although I agree with the posters who say we should calm down.

I don`t think anyone can argue that we are leaving things very late in the day.

Personally I think new players should be playing in the meaningless pre-season games to iron out the wrinkles.

Sometimes last minute decisions are not the best ones because they are forced.

I think we can put out a very good team at the moment but lack a lot of cover.

Im not in a panic but I am concerned.

I think worthys transfer business up to this point has been excellent so I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

He is shrewd operator and may unveil 3 new players next week to shut us all up.

[quote]Will everyone just calm down. There is no way Worthy would even consider selling Jonson if he didnt already have several other signings in the offing - he''s not stupid (contrary to popular opinion!)....[/quote]

Agree totally, Yella Fella. 

[quote]Agree totally, Yella Fella.[/quote]

Sorry Dicky, but while Yella fella has highlighted some great positives for the club, the lack of squad depth in the back half of the team is a huge concern as the season approaches.

Lose Ashton and Huckerby to lengthy injuries like Bentley, Helveg and Safri had last season and a couple of Yella''s big positives are shot down in flames. The worse scenario is to lose Jarrett and Francis to injuries and then the midfield looks really lightweight.

And even though several youngsters got a run out against Dereham last night Worthy is notoriusly bad at blooding decent youngsters in the first team. Look how long Shackell took to get in.

Now is the time to get new faces in so that the pre-season friendlies can be used to get players used to each other. Getting three or four new faces on the park for the first real game doesn''t fill me with optimism.

Let''s sincerely hope that Worthy has got something up his sleeve because I don''t share your optimism. Promotion is not City''s by right this year, as always they have to earn it and personally I think the current squad is too small to do that.

[quote]Sorry Dicky, but while Yella fella has highlighted some great positives for the club, the lack of squad depth in the back half of the team is a huge concern as the season approaches. Lose Ashton and ...[/quote]

I am with Morph on this one.  Yella has made out some very good points but some of those are blown out of the water if injuries occur.  Considering some posters on here were blaming last years injury crisis for relegation, we should all be slightly concerned.

We need to get faces in so they can play a couple of the pre-season games especially when you take into account how long it took Helveg & co to settle in.  Remember most players signed have to find a house, find schools for their children and start playing to high level with very little time to plan and adjust.  The more time they have to settle in the better.

I know we are all aware but it is worth pointing out again that the transfer deadline applies to this league now as well and the closer that gets the higher prices become.

I''m not saying panic but Worthy is running out of time and we were pretty much told we would have as many players in as went out.  A lot of work to do.