Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Will we stay up?

Agree with you there UB. You can never tell how well a team is going to do at the start of the season so we need wait for the winless run to come. I still have belief we can survive at the moment as it''s too early to tell. At the moment the gap between 1st and 20th is only 11pts

Have a feeling this will be very much like Lambert''s Prem SeasonWe are going to concede an absolute bag loag... question is..can we outscore our opponents?

We have it in us to stay up this season and we have a good number of players who know what it takes at this level. The premier league is always tough for a newly promoted club and four games in we are not in a position to judge what we can really do this season. We have 3 signings in Mbokani, Jarvis and Mulumbu who we are yet to see play in the first team as well as Wisdom about to get a chance. Once we see how Alex Neil fits them in and see how the team can compete for 9 or 10 games we will have a much better opportunity to assess what we can achieve.

To date we have conceded a few goals and will no doubt take the odd hammering from the big clubs as they have the quality to do that to anyone but the 2 goals a game conceded being bandied about is a bit of a fallacy. We only have a sample of 4 games and in one of which we had 10 men for the majority of. Similar to the our strikers haven''t scored argument as ultimately it doesn''t matter who scores the goals and at the moment they are being shared around. I don''t mind if we don''t have a striker score double figures as long as the team score enough.

There are signs of life, we can see the team has fight in them and want to play more exciting brand of football than when we were last here. How ever if we go down it is not the catastrophe that people seem to believe it is. Last time the money went up the reaction was the same and everyone said if we go down now everyone has so much cash we will never be able to compete. Here we are again though back again in position with our chance to try secure a place at the top table. Even it doesn''t happen this time we will be back for another go in the future.

I like to gauge things on or around the 23rd November up until 30th. I have done for years and it''s a great guide that shows that any of the bottom 3 to 5 teams continue to have difficult seasons. I was cautiously optimistic as the first 3 games panned out. And in Alex Neil we have so,etching special. But....I have never been convinced by our defence. I''m not even a Bassong fan let alone Martin as newish CB or Whittaker or even Olsson, I recall the days of Bruce and Watson and how I knew most teams couldn''t get through and if they did they had Woods. But we have rarely got this right in recent years. I simply cannot see us keeping out chances, and we have a wonderful defensive mid in Tettey. The average of 2 goals against means we would have to score 3 to win.

I think at this point in time we are most likely to have problems and therefore will not survive. So hope I''m wrong and I reserve the right to review around the end of November.

I''m also not a big critic of the team nor a pant wetter. But we have really fallen short of investing as any good company should ..... and it isn''t a case of blaming the current defenders when it goes wrong. I''m sure others will do that on this message board.

Bournemouth at home will be interesting to say the least.

yes Norwich City will stay up

,but why did Johnson want to leave???????

he said things were not working out for him and he could not wait to go to Derby

I think we will stay up

BUT I would like a lot of work done behind the scenes this year

I don''t want the club to fall into the we stayed up so we don''t have to spend or raise the wage ceiling as this has to be looked at for the next transfer window

I would like the scouting network looked at and refreshed or replaced

I would like the football board to be looked at Ricky martin should be nowhere near a professional team

I would also like a shake up of the youth academy we employ far to many coaches that have no experience of the professional game at youth level

if we can do that by the end of the month I will be happy :-)

For me it will all come down to how good Mbokani actually is.

I''m a pessimist to the core so I find it difficult to see three teams that we''ll finish above. Sunderland will struggle and Watford are an unknown factor. I can see Bournemouth finishing mid table.

With a little bit of good luck on our side, we will stay up. With a touch of misfortune we will be in trouble. As others have mentioned come the end of the season there will be barely 6 points separating 18th and 11th.

I prefer to live my life as an optimist, we''ll be fine!

I believe that this window has not been quite the catastrophe as some have made out. I feel that a lot of the reaction has materialised from crushed hopes. From ambitious rumours of transfer-record breaking buys, to insultingly poor bids and public shaming. From hearing whispers of private jets off to Marseille, to an anti-climatically loan of Matt Jarvis. From strong links to a 6"5 tall Napoli defender to... well, no defender.

It''s disappointing. A whole summer''s build up of dodgy rumours, 2+2=5ing and Football Manager stab-in-the-darks and it''s led to nothing even close to the hype that preceded it. We all saw a massive wave coming on the horizon and, having been so assured of something big heading towards us, could not have been more disheartened at the ripple that followed- barely even reaching the tips of our webbed, frog-like toes.

However, I notice that this disarray is only with Norwich fans. I haven''t seen any neutral view that has targeted us for our transferring tragedies and I believe that''s because we''re the only ones who have had our higher-than-ever expectations batted away at the eleventh hour. We''re the only ones who are sore about the missing punch line. That''s what is now fuelling the most part of our frustrations and I hope that, when we get back on the pitch, this will be put to the backburner, because, from what I''ve seen so far this term, we DO have enough.

Yes, we are really light in the centre of defence, and no, I don''t know why we didn''t strengthen there. Yes, Johnson will be sorely missed but I am sure that this was a decision that he mad after recognising his imminent attic-ing. Yes, our transfer approach has looked poor at best, but we have a relatively new-to-the-block manager at the helm who is still a complete unknown to most (I note Neil''s footballing career too can''t have helped much either).

Weigh up NCFC as a prospect from a neutral point of view and it''s easy to see why we have struggled this window. Whether we could have done more on our part is definitely a concern, but hopefully some hard lessons have been learnt for the next window and someone for heaven''s sake, tuck Bassong in well each night!

I think that in the midst of this meltdown, a lot of people have forgotten just how competitive we were in our first 3 games. The Southampton performance has not helped either in tainting what should still be regarded as a strong start to the season (performance wise). We deserved 7 points from those first 3 games, that isn''t just my opinion, that is what has been recognised by fans and players alike across the entire country. No amount of new signings* are going to change the luck we get on the pitch in the space of 90 minutes.

I would also like to add that Olsson, Mulumbu and Mbokani are yet to come in and that we are clearly yet to see the best of Brady. These 4 players are going to be HUGE for us this season and are surely amongst the first to go on any fan''s team sheet.

So no, I don''t know why we didn''t buy a CB but yes, I do think we will stay up.

*new realistic signings

[quote user="Wiz"]Mentally, we''re already relegated imo.[/quote]In my opinion your opinion is mental especially after only 4 games.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Wiz"]Mentally, we''re already relegated imo.[/quote]In my opinion your opinion is mental especially after only 4 games.[/quote]Can you see our sieve of a defense stopping Bournemouth Til?Just asking like. [;)]

No, defence is too frail...as has been said many a time...the good teams still have to come for us :-( Lack of defensive sigining has made us relegation favourites and we can''t argue with that imo

I think we will. Though at times it will be hard to watch if we continue to defend as we have been.

We will probably have to claw back ground in the 2nd half of the season once the club belatedly admits the defence requires major strenghtening in the January transfer window. Maybe that second striker will finally arrive by then too.

Wiz- Mentally, we''re already relegated imo.

You might be but fortunately we don''t have a manager and set of players with so little will they are giving up four games in. Thankfully you never go to games otherwise you''d be booing if we lost the coin toss.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Highland Canary"]No, we have a championship defence that will be returned there in double quick time. What a farce.[/quote]I don''t often agree with you Highland but the stats so far show the validity of your opinion. We haven''t faced any of the big boys yet but we are conceding two per game. That will relegate us with an absolute certainty.Maybe things will improve but the early signs are not good.We needed defensive reinforcements, we didn''t get them and January will likely be too late.[/quote]The defenders are going to have to exceed even their expectations if we stand any chance of avoiding relegation by early April.As a football club we''ve often overachieved - let''s prey our defenders can do just that while remaining injury & suspension free.

No chance ,not enough money spent on the right players,selling Johnson is a massive mistake,and alex Neil has a lot to learn about man management .we do this every time we get promoted ,but it''s norwich city and we know the format up for a while then down and back up .

4 games in and 4 points, not great considering the calibre of teams played, but the next 6 games will go a long way to pointing the direction of our season, we play teams which should yield points, without 12 points on the board from the ten games it will be a tough ask.

As others we haven''t signed enough quality to stop the poor defence and we don''t have a proven goal scorer at this level.

We might just scrape 17 th but it will be very hard season.