Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Bournmouth Bad luck and danger of smaller clubs spending big

If Norwich stay up i would like it to be because of our positive performances rather than the misfortune of others. I feel very sorry for Bournmouth as it has been revealed that Mings £8m is out for the season and Gradel £7m for 6 months both lost in the same fixture afterjust 4 games. Lady luck plays a big part in success and failure but does show the high risk strategy of smaller premiership clubs spending big. good when it comes off but disaster when the unexpected happens

Indeed. Hull spring to mind. Snodgrass could have made a big difference to their season. Have to think he''d have been worth a few points over the season. Think how many points he won for us in our last PL season.

I. can''t say I feel very sorry for them Yorkshire, far from it in fact, what do you expect is you sign a scummers eh?

It is a reminder however of how important it is to have cover in all key positions, something we sadly lack.

plenty good enough .....I''m sure there''s a lesson here that Bournemouth should have used tat £15m to upgrade their ground to premier league standards before spending it on the pitch, as they should have been made to do.

very easy to spend big on the playing staff - not just this season but over the previous 2 , when you only have the running costs of a lower league infastructure......funded in no small part by a russian millionaire.

It happened to us 2 seasons ago. We signed RVW for a record £8 million (which seemed to be the lowest record signing of any Prem club at that time, and here we are 2 years later) and he injured his toe. He didn''t fully recovered from that injury until it was too late. Now he''s back in top form, knocking in goals for fun, and we ship him out to keep 1-in-5 barn doors Grabban.

I do feel sorry for Bournemouth - however, I also have mixed feelings.

They paid over the odds for Mings IMHO - and he had been on the bench that game. I thought it was clear as soon as neither were named in their 25 man squad that they were out for at least until January.

However, the biggest reason this will impact upon them is that they have had to spend to build a squad - they desperately needed more quality as well as depth, and with those two injuries, they have lost both.

Wilson is good and will score goals for them, Surman has decent enough pedigree for this level but whether he can do it for a whole season will remain to be seen.

Despite others saying that they were making good signings, Gradel was the standout for me. I''d be gutted if it was us, but it just goes to show you how strong our squad is.

[quote user="chicken"]I do feel sorry for Bournemouth - however, I also have mixed feelings.

They paid over the odds for Mings IMHO - and he had been on the bench that game. I thought it was clear as soon as neither were named in their 25 man squad that they were out for at least until January.

However, the biggest reason this will impact upon them is that they have had to spend to build a squad - they desperately needed more quality as well as depth, and with those two injuries, they have lost both.

Wilson is good and will score goals for them, Surman has decent enough pedigree for this level but whether he can do it for a whole season will remain to be seen.

Despite others saying that they were making good signings, Gradel was the standout for me. I''d be gutted if it was us, but it just goes to show you how strong our squad is.[/quote]

Never ever feel sorry for another Club

I agree with the original post of the OP. Spending big is always a risk, which is part of the reason I''m fine about the fact we didn''t go down that road.

I think something that people forget is Watford and Bournemouth lack Premier League players so had to spend. I think one of the reasons we haven''t is because we have Premier League players already since we have only been away for one season.

For instance if you look at out midfield with the likes of Brady, Tettey, Howson, Dorrans, Redmond, Wes and others. I don''t think there is any doubt that they are Premier League quality.

Up front it''s less secure and we don''t know how they will get on, but we have to trust AN judgement on that. The defence has a lot of stick but think they are better than given credit for.

The other thing is come Jan we can spend if we need to.

I don''t feel sorry for Bournemouth in the slightest. I don''t like more Bournemouth, well more I don''t like the media bumming of Eddie Howe, and his clubs "rags to riches" story (Omitting to mention their billionaire owner)If their misfortune helps us stay up, I won''t lose any sleep.

[quote user="James Kent"]I agree with the original post of the OP. Spending big is always a risk, which is part of the reason I''m fine about the fact we didn''t go down that road.

I think something that people forget is Watford and Bournemouth lack Premier League players so had to spend. I think one of the reasons we haven''t is because we have Premier League players already since we have only been away for one season.

For instance if you look at out midfield with the likes of Brady, Tettey, Howson, Dorrans, Redmond, Wes and others. I don''t think there is any doubt that they are Premier League quality.

Up front it''s less secure and we don''t know how they will get on, but we have to trust AN judgement on that. The defence has a lot of stick but think they are better than given credit for.

The other thing is come Jan we can spend if we need to.[/quote]  And what PL experience did Mings and Gradel have ?  What PL experience did our squad have when the began the 2011/12 PL season ? We mostly spend in January as well. so this is nothing new either. We don''t know how any players or part of they team will get on. That is the whole point. and is the reason AFCB have two players out for the season. They didn''t know what was going to happen ie injury. I doubt they will be missed that much. Mmigs was not even considered good enough to start a game and was only on the pitch because of an injury to another player. They will be relegated, if not this season then the next as they are totally out of their depth. Unfair ?  Just as we will never finish in the top 3 again either. That''s how it is