Sign in to follow this  
Stylish Canary

5pm Saturday

This board is awash with pointless topics as it is without one that states a predictable and logical reaction if our team were to lose a football match.

Just let whatever happens happen for gods sake.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Herman wrote the following post at 11/09/2015 1:11 PM:

We''re not relegation candidates Ricardo.

I''ll have some of what you''re having.[/quote]

In that case they have every right to go into melt down against a club who are relegation candidates!

Meltdown.........well Grabban is out the squad according to someone who just emailed me, so that''s one potential negative removed from Saturday.

[quote user="ricardo"]Points won against fellow relegation probables are far more valuable than those gained from the big six.[/quote]

Is that the same as points against teams already on the beach don''t count?

LC I''m lost now, does that mean we now need a pre-armageddon before the armageddon and THEN a pre-meltdown, prior to the meltdown?!?!? [:O]

Just for the record, I agree with Herman...we''re not relegation candidates and one match on Saturday won''t change that. We''re going to win anyway!

Apples

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Herman wrote the following post at 11/09/2015 1:11 PM:

We''re not relegation candidates Ricardo.

I''ll have some of what you''re having.[/quote]Well, I''ve had my lunchtime Peroni and although it softens many things it doesn''t alter the reality that newly promoted clubs will always be among the favourite relegation candidates.LDC, points won from anywhere still count but those which you deny you opponents are certainly more valuable.

It is pleasing to hear that we are not relegation candidates, especially given our thus far below par start. This implies a points tally significantly north of forty, and I assume a routine victory against teams such as Bournemouth who might regarded as a relegation candidate, or are they exempt too?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It is pleasing to hear that we are not relegation candidates, especially given our thus far below par start. This implies a points tally significantly north of forty, and I assume a routine victory against teams such as Bournemouth who might regarded as a relegation candidate, or are they exempt too?[/quote]

What would be a par start?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Six points from the first four matches, nine points from the first seven (assuming a 39 point target).[/quote]

Your first example would give 57 points and the second would give 48 points, do you understand the meaning of ''par''?

Based on your 39 point target we 0.1 below par, not the kind of deficit that one game would dramatically affect.

The classic example of "points against other relegation candidates" being worth more was our home game against WBA when we were relegated under Hughton. We were relegated 3 points behind WBA but with much worse GD so if we''d won an extra game against any other team, we''d have still been relegated, but if we''d beaten WBA, it would have reduced their points tally by 3 and we''d have been safe.

And what exactly are the criteria for being a relegation candidate?

For many on here it will be a board that has, Smith, Jones, Bowkett or McNally on it, or a club that has fallen out and parted company with an ex manager who many would refer to as the messiah.

In the real world normally a relegation candidate would be a team that has accumulated so few points entering the final quarter of the season that it would be unlikely they could make up ground on those just above them.

So whatever criteria suits I suppose ;-)

[quote user="Herman "]We''re not relegation candidates Ricardo.[/quote]So if we beat Bournemouth we''re safe for the season -- very reassuring info, thanks, Herman.

@TCC, I do, thank you. I was adopting a slightly more nuanced par unless of course you are sufficiently confident of budgeting for 12 points, or more, off the 12 big-six matches.

[quote user="ricardo"]LDC, points won from anywhere still count but those which you deny you opponents are certainly more valuable.[/quote]Three points against a close rival is helpful but crucially, imo, not more valuable. The only time it could be considered really important is at the end of the season if you find yourself in 18th place and are playing the team above you.   That means you have had a poor season and are desperate.  All the rest of the season, if you play with that mindset of desperation - "ooh we must beat these because we might be near the bottom at the end of the season" - then, frankly, you are not going to enjoy the season.   No worries, no fears, just enjoy the season. If we then find ourselves in 18th place and play the 17th place a week before the end of the season, then the desperation may be more relevant. But not in September....... 

[quote user="Highland Canary"]@TCC, I do, thank you. I was adopting a slightly more nuanced par unless of course you are sufficiently confident of budgeting for 12 points, or more, off the 12 big-six matches.[/quote]

Obviously you don''t understand the meaning of ''par'' as you''ve given two values.

I’ll chuck this into the ‘meltdown pot’.

Let’s for the moment view the season as one long game (90mins) in which case (assuming each actual game we play lasts approx 95mins) each actual game is 2 ½ minutes of our season and we are 10 minutes into the season so far, so is the next 2 ½ minutes a must win 2 ½ minutes? Well considering there will still be 77 ½ minutes of the season left then perhaps the answer is no, because what ever happens we still have time to put things right and whatever happens it won’t, in and of itself, result in relegation, or a top six finish for that matter.

Is every 2 ½ minutes important, of course but unless it is the last 2 ½ then probably not season defining.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="ricardo"]LDC, points won from anywhere still count but those which you deny you opponents are certainly more valuable.[/quote]Three points against a close rival is helpful but crucially, imo, not more valuable. The only time it could be considered really important is at the end of the season if you find yourself in 18th place and are playing the team above you.   That means you have had a poor season and are desperate.  All the rest of the season, if you play with that mindset of desperation - "ooh we must beat these because we might be near the bottom at the end of the season" - then, frankly, you are not going to enjoy the season.   No worries, no fears, just enjoy the season. If we then find ourselves in 18th place and play the 17th place a week before the end of the season, then the desperation may be more relevant. But not in September....... 

[/quote]It doesn''t matter whether its the first game or the last. Taking 3 points and denying them to a potential competitor is always equally important.

Ive said it elsewhere but no game is a "must win" unless 3 points are needed for a final mathetical certainty needed to stay up. What a Prem season brings is 38 games that are all important to win.Im just looking for City to get back the no fear attacking style that vanished in the last match. I can see us being ripped to shreds by Bournemouth if we get sloppy at the back, but can just as likely seeing us win at Liverpool. While still a good home team, in the last year to 18 months we have lost Carrow Road hone fortress to some extent, but our away form has improved. That quirky trait also seems to have spread generally in the Prem. so far this season to most clubs, will be interesting to see if it continues long into the season.If we lose saturday, the manner of defeat will be important as to how much we as moan and groan, but meltdown is such a strong term that no scenario would justify such a thing.

I''ll of course be very disappointed if we lose to Bournemouth but it won''t be the end of the world. There are still 33 matches after that one in which to collect the 36 points that would be required to survive (if the worst were to happen)

I wish to remind posters on here that the last time Norwich successfully negotiated a Premier League season was in 2012-13.

The breakdown of points taken from our 44 attained that season was as follows:

Man Utd - 3

Man City - 3

Chelsea - 0

Arsenal - 3

Spurs - 2

Everton - 4

Liverpool - 0

West Brom - 3

Swansea - 4

West Ham - 1

Norwich - N/A

Fulham - 1

Stoke - 3

Southampton - 2

Aston Villa - 1

Newcastle - 1

Sunderland - 4

Wigan - 3

Reading - 4

QPR - 2

As you can see just over 33% of those points were attained from teams who finished in the top 6 of the Premiership.

Our record against the bottom 6 was actually identical with again just over 33% of our points being collected from these bottom 6 teams.

What this shows is that every single game in this division represents an opportunity to collect points and whilst I fully accept the fact that a win against a relegation rival is more ''valuable'' (as by definition it also deprives them of points), the general rule of thumb is that if you get to 40 points (whatever way you do it) then you''re going to survive.

I also genuinely believe that the mind-set Alex Neil will employ against the big boys, coupled with their obvious frailties (Man City aside) will mean that we will gain some shock results this season. Adding further weight to the above argument.

let us not forget we only drew this fixture last season but got promoted. 3 points would be fantastic lose and the concern grows but still lots of games left with key players yet to feature. This will be a roller coaster we knew that drop disappointing points and pick up unexpected ones

Excellent stats Cambridge. Like it shows, you really don''t know where the points will come from.

[quote user="Dave from Lowestoft "]It''s going to get messy. Can''t wait[/quote]So you''re hoping that City lose then Wavy?

[quote user="Strawman"][quote user="Herman "]We''re not relegation candidates Ricardo.[/quote]So if we beat Bournemouth we''re safe for the season -- very reassuring info, thanks, Herman.[/quote]We''re safe for the season anyway. Stop pappin'' yr kecks.