Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Hoolahan ... AGAIN!

So pre season this season, last season, maybe even the one before have all involved a fair proportion of Norwich fans desperate for a Hoolahan replacement.

Personally, he''s got better with age, seems to have terrific natural fitness and doesn''t rely on pace (not that he seems to have lost any, anyway).

We could not afford a replacement for Wes. Not one who''d be as good, or provide so much.

As ever, brilliant link up play and the teams build up is also heavily reliant on him. Adding direct assists (joint top assists in prem I think) and goals....he''s pretty much unplayable at the moment.

Wasn''t there today as had a family wedding but wasn''t surprised to hear that my Wessie was mom and as magical as usual. I had to smile at the end of last season when some fans said he wouldn''t play much this season in the Premier and would be a bench warmer, Alex can see exactly what us Wessie fans can see, he''s creative, he''s magical, he makes things happen and he''ll be in the first 11 most games if he can avoid injuries. So pleased for him

Well we do need to spend money to replace him because he won''t be here much longer I suspect. Personally would get rid of him in January next season. Was fantastic today, ran the show.

I find those that still doubt Wes''s ability at this level a little delusional.

Yes he''s only good playing a certain way, luckily that''s how we are playing.

No he''s not always going to be a match winner, but neither are Mata, Hazard and Ozil.

He''s consistently proven his worth, he is by all accounts one of the fittest players at the club and he isn''t going to lose any more speed and his game doesn''t rely on it anyway. He can easily keep playing to 35 at this level.

Even given that much time and if we stay in the Premiership we will struggle to replace him with someone objectively better.

Best thing is Neil has got him shooting more as well, I''ve thought since Neil has come in Wes has look much more likely to have a shot and I think we saw the fruits of that today.

I wish people would just enjoy his football while we have him, he won''t be around forever.

Alex Neil seems to have managed to get that extra 10% out of him that Hughton and Adams never really got. Perhaps its a subtle tactical thing that Alex has, and the previous two managers didn''t, but accommodating Wes means you have to get your system just right, and have exactly the right players around him. He is working a lot harder than I seen him for a long time, perhaps the realisation that its not going to last forever is spurring him on?

Gone are the odd utterly anonymous game that seemed to pop up every three or four. Long may it continue.

Absolutely love the guy.  Another player who has confounded his critics - of which I''ve been one at times.  There''s nothing better than seeing a player improve and develop their game - and Hoolahan has done that and is still improving. AN has the knack of getting the best out of the players and Wes has benefitted from that too, but you have to mainly credit Wes for his desire and energy to be the best player he can be. Brilliant performance yesterday.

Joint top for assists with a certain Mr Silva!

I imagine that the list has been printed out & pinned up on the bedroom ceiling.

[quote user="morty"]Alex Neil seems to have managed to get that extra 10% out of him that Hughton and Adams never really got. Perhaps its a subtle tactical thing that Alex has, and the previous two managers didn''t, but accommodating Wes means you have to get your system just right, and have exactly the right players around him. He is working a lot harder than I seen him for a long time, perhaps the realisation that its not going to last forever is spurring him on?

Gone are the odd utterly anonymous game that seemed to pop up every three or four. Long may it continue.[/quote]

Lol. Stick to your original, delusional, beliefs that Wes is a luxury player that isn''t really that good.

You''ve been arguing against pro hoolahan fans for years. He''s been fantastic for long before you finally decided to acknowledge it. Only serves to prove your low football intellect.

Have many people called for his replacement - I really dont that they have. I think most people know just how key wessi is to us, simply makes us great to watch with huge effort to match.

However he can only be effective for 60 mins or so - so an alternative, rather than replacement, is needed - a player who continues the creative impetus that is lost every match when he is subbed, or simply having an off day.

He is a critical player for us, buying some competition for his role is not about replacing him (although he is at that age when that time draws ever closer) but ensuring we have genuine options when he is not on the pitch. Hence, I understand, our inquiry about Henri Lansbury.

Wes was superb yesterday and had that display been by Hazard then the pundits would have been wetting their pants with superlatives.

A mention for how well Tettey and Howson played feeding Wes, thought Tettey yesterday was immense and broke up play also Toure!.

Both sides with Brady & Jarvis who had a great debut and Wisdom & Redders were always dangerous and lastly Jerome''s work rate and runs tormented Bournemouths defence.

Great performance and win and Wes fully deserved his MOM award.

I have enjoyed watching him more than any city player. He is brilliant technically and has the ability to leave a player standing with skill and speed of thought.

Morty I do see how tactically Alex Neil has supported Wes much better than previous incumbents. He was often criticised for going in circles and sometimes losing the ball. However you see a real willingness for the team to get around him and provide at least two options at all times reducing the need for him to turn in circles as he desperately holds the ball waiting on people to get up with him. Partly this is down to the wingers coming in narrower when attacking and the freedom one central midfielder is given to get forward at every opportunity. Having men working of him in this way enables him to play the way he really wants to which is fast one twos and on the turn against players. Lambert did this in a different way having two up front for him then the wingers much wider which worked well but for me it''s much more fun and effective to watch the way Alex Neil has it set up around him.

Spot on again Dead Canary. While we have Wes, the strategy has to be to set the team up to maximise his effectiveness, the alternative being to leave him out and look to win games without him. This same dilemma is raised looking ahead. People talk about a replacement for Wes, as in someone with the same creative talents. But we won''t find "another Wes"; what we will be looking for is a different type of creative player around whom the team can be shaped with equal effectiveness. Ideally that person needs to be found sooner rather than later, while Wes remains at his peak.

As far as I''m concerned, he''s the most technically gifted City player I''ve ever seen grace Carrow Rd. Contract extension is a must. And when fans moan because he''s predominantly left footed... Oh do f14k off you weird morons #2FeetLikeThatAndYou''reMessi