Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Jarvis debut

When he came here (and BJ going out) I said it was rather depressing having watched him play many times for the spammers. When he played for them he looked like a headless chicken often looking like a sitting duck, if got kicked he would be done for the day and not get involved in the game, he would often use his pace to get to the by-line and do nothing.

However, I thought he had a good debut and really linked well with Brady on that left hand side. Well deserved goal as well, from the right. Certainly not the best player on the pitch but I thought it was worth a mention that (imo) he had a very decent debut, along with Mbokani..who is intact a beast.

I hope we are getting back to the era when we signed players who were on the fringe of the first team for thier clubs but were never given the chance to prove thier worth, players like Ian Crook aand Mark Bowen came to us with something to prove and did.

Me to, was quiet in the first half but that''s mainly down the fact that the majority of play was down our right, second half he was much more involved.

Showed his quality with the way he finished his goal.

Splendid taken goal. Bent it in (past the keeper) just as Holt did in the 4-1 against the binners. Not bad for an aged journeyman ! We could have had a couple more, much as with Stoke. And if it''s what might have been a draw against Palace and a win against Stoke (which both should have been) would see us third tonight !

I thought he had great debut, linked well with Brady and more importunity i thought we looked very well balanced with him on the left. What we now have is a squad that is comfortable at this level, great start Mr Matt !

Yes, said to my lad he looked good in the first 20 mins and continued to excel. So glad he scored, rounded off a really good afternoon for him. Let''s hope it continues!

I hope we soon get back to the days where we welcomed players to our club when they signed rather than slate them before they''ve kicked a ball...

Screw west ham, their fans are a bunch of tw@s. booing when they win all that. Imagine the booing for Whittaker at its worst times 10. No wonder Jarvis never lived up to his £10m fee.

At Wolves, he was loved and he thrived, let''s treat him right here and he will deliver. Loved how 2 footed he was today, not had that since Pilks in his prime.

He was booed a little, though he was $hit that day unsurprisingly as he was played as a defensive mid wasn''t he?.

Andre Wisdom in that first half though, absolutely woeful. Much improved in the second half though, Neil obviously had a ''wee chat''.

Every signing so far has improved the position filled. Sound summers business shows good value better quality is out there.

And depth on the bench. Plenty to look forward to

Thought Jarvis was excellent for his first game, did link up well with Brady and got the ball into the box, even if the quality of the delivery wasn''t the best.

Took his goal really well, good start and reminded me a lot of Pilks at his best.

Jarvis was excellent.

Wisdom was poor in my opinion. Particularly first half, he had less to do in the second half but did improve.

With Whittaker obviously playing vs Liverpool next week, providing he has a good game, I don''t see wisdom walking straight back into the starting eleven for the next game.

There was much gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes here when Jarvis was our last minute signing on deadline day. In retrospect I think that was as much do do with the failure to sign a centre back, not selling Grabban and the loss Bradley more than the signing of Jarvis itself which brought about my despair. Had he been signed a month before then I would probably just have shrugged my shoulders and took a more balanced view.My impression of Jarvis at Wet Spam was that he was a luxury player, held his position on the touchline, beat his man and then put in hopeful rather than targeted crosses. A poor finisher and a poor assist record for a goal/chance provider. Yes he got plenty of crosses in but they were rarely of the quality needed to score from. His willingness to close down and track back was also in question.It was also generally thought that he was very one footed, but I think he put that one to bed yesterday.I also think he looked a better player when he left the safety of his wing, something else he rarely did at West Ham. I expect Big Sam would not allow him to break his rigid formation ala Hughton, you play ther and you stay there.Yes he had a good game, linked well and eventually got the message that he needed to close down and harry, but for me the jury is still out. I have seen a lot of wide players have good games and then follow them with poor and anonymous ones. Redmond did`nt have his best game out wide yesterday but he found a way to contribute with some hard work and some great link up play. If Jarvis can consistently put in performances like yesterday then I will be a convert or when he has days when the right back is getting the better of him but he finds a way to pass round him instead of beating him then I will review my previously held opinions of him.

Im not knocking Jarvis Im just saying that I need to see more of him before I decide whether he was a good signing or not, the signs look promising.

"I also think he looked a better player when he left the safety of his

wing, something else he rarely did at West Ham. I expect Big Sam would

not allow him to break his rigid formation ala Hughton, you play ther

and you stay there." Molly W.I read this a few times on West Ham forums. Maybe Alex will let him play his natural game leading to him being a very good signing. Here''s hoping.

This leads to a couple of new words for the dictionary;Hughtonised see also Allardised.Meaning; When an attacking player is shackled in a defensive footballing team, leading to a loss of attacking intent and eventually leading to a loss of confidence.

hope Jarvis has an excellent season, feeding Mbokani for 20+ goals......!

If Jarvis is successful, do you think we will have already negotiated a price on an option to buy at end of loan period, or will we just be charged mega-bucks?

i think where Jarvis will have to improve is his work rate to support the high pressing game neil demands; a couple of times he was slow to close and it was clear that AN was coaching him on that. but bearing in mind he only had 2 sessions with the full squad that will quickly come and add to the attacking quality that was on show.