Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Crystal Palace chairman

That''s pretty much how I see it too, Hughtons first 6 months is better than AN, we had a run of 10 games unbeaten in the top flight and looked good footballing side.

But that second half of that season and the next after spending big came crashing down.

But the question is Pardew has spent big and Palace up to know look a good side, early days as yet.

I''m not going to blame the board for not getting in the players we had hoped for this summer as it appears we went for good potential players who just didn''t want to come to Norwich as we are.

So how do we become more attractive to the these players?

Lambert bottled it 😳

Agree with what you''re saying there Indy and erik. It''s imperative that the board plans for the future and has someone or a few people lined up.

I''d like them to still be involved and have the supporter element still involved.

It was previously mentioned about parish being a successful businessman. I''d like someone like that with a hunger to succeed and want to change the mindset of many attached to the club.

It would be refreshing!

How do we become more attractive?

It''s not about throwing money around but the wage structure surely has to be amended to attract a better calibre of player.

We are not an exciting club to people looking in from outside. We are that club that makes up the numbers.

A signing this summer like Austin would''ve made people sit up and take note. Dare I say it, would also have influenced others to join us.

It would''ve made them want to be a part of what is in motion.

Finally, even though it was just a throw away line, your back to Lambert Danny. So what rumours were rife about him not being backed? I thought it was common knowledge that we had to pay off the debt just as Bowkett had negotiated in funding the previous three seasons?

Back from the pub and it still appears to be the Birdman of Worthing thread. Whereby the op is posting ever more nonsensical tripe to try and justify yet another attack upom the board. Each attempt doomed to failure like the previous. No explanation as to where this wonderful ambition will lead to either, just some stupidity about fans not having any ambition ! ! ! Never mind, Indy helps the poor fellow out with his own brand of stupidity, claiming that Southamption have held on to all of their best players ! ! !So why the attack? Well I think Lapps has it sussed when he posted up a previous thread that was yet another attack upon the club. This time with the binners being held up as a fine example that we should, but will not copy. And surprise, or not, there is the op wetting himself yet again to be the first in the queue to attack the club.  Perhaps Lapps could post that link again so we can all see where the op is coming from and what his motive is. And also maybe to see the same ratbags piling in with their own brand of stupidity. For the uninitiated, City have won a title, been promoted three times and twill now have spent four out of seven of those intervening years in the PL. And cleared their debts with an FA Youth Cup win thrown in as well. Perhaps the op would care to tell us what the binners have achieved with their ambition in the same period.

[quote user="AllenWickerbasket"]Back from the pub and it still appears to be the Birdman of Worthing thread. Whereby the op is posting ever more nonsensical tripe to try and justify yet another attack upom the board. Each attempt doomed to failure like the previous. No explanation as to where this wonderful ambition will lead to either, just some stupidity about fans not having any ambition ! ! ! Never mind, Indy helps the poor fellow out with his own brand of stupidity, claiming that Southamption have held on to all of their best players ! ! !So why the attack? Well I think Lapps has it sussed when he posted up a previous thread that was yet another attack upon the club. This time with the binners being held up as a fine example that we should, but will not copy. And surprise, or not, there is the op wetting himself yet again to be the first in the queue to attack the club.  Perhaps Lapps could post that link again so we can all see where the op is coming from and what his motive is. And also maybe to see the same ratbags piling in with their own brand of stupidity. For the uninitiated, City have won a title, been promoted three times and twill now have spent four out of seven of those intervening years in the PL. And cleared their debts with an FA Youth Cup win thrown in as well. Perhaps the op would care to tell us what the binners have achieved with their ambition in the same period.[/quote]

I waited a few hours for that 😂 brilliant.

The comparison with the binners appt was to do with gunn being appointed. Both were poor choices but at the time is was an ambitious appt by them down the road whereas ours took us down the road...

Nothing like having no context eh.

If you''re interpreting all this as an attack I suggest you''re pished.

What are your thoughts on change? What can we do to change the perception? How can we attract new blood for when the majority shareholders call it time?

Where will ambition lead to in your opinion?

You brought it up Danny, not me. I know I''m getting on a bit but I''mnot that confused. In fact I''ve only answered and debated points that were already posted on this thread.

If you don''t want to debate it write a blog. Or even make a speech. Ive noticed you only welcome posts agreeing with you so perhaps discussion boards are not for you.....

:)

Plans??

7 years ago we hadn''t even been relegated to league one. If your plans or my plans had been as optimistic as the reality of those 7 years we''d have been laughed off this board.

Whatever your plans I''ll bet you here and now that the next seven years won''t be as exciting as the previous seven.

[quote user="AllenWickerbasket"]Back from the pub and it still appears to be the Birdman of Worthing thread. Whereby the op is posting ever more nonsensical tripe to try and justify yet another attack upom the board. Each attempt doomed to failure like the previous. No explanation as to where this wonderful ambition will lead to either, just some stupidity about fans not having any ambition ! ! ! Never mind, Indy helps the poor fellow out with his own brand of stupidity, claiming that Southamption have held on to all of their best players ! ! !So why the attack? Well I think Lapps has it sussed when he posted up a previous thread that was yet another attack upon the club. This time with the binners being held up as a fine example that we should, but will not copy. And surprise, or not, there is the op wetting himself yet again to be the first in the queue to attack the club.  Perhaps Lapps could post that link again so we can all see where the op is coming from and what his motive is. And also maybe to see the same ratbags piling in with their own brand of stupidity. For the uninitiated, City have won a title, been promoted three times and twill now have spent four out of seven of those intervening years in the PL. And cleared their debts with an FA Youth Cup win thrown in as well. Perhaps the op would care to tell us what the binners have achieved with their ambition in the same period.[/quote]

You must of had one too many at the pub......I''m making the point that Southampton can''t hold onto their best players.....even with super rich owners! My point was that clubs like ours in city''s like ours are not as attractive to players.

But heck attack away on points you miss read while on the lash!

It''s easy to talk like this when your doing well. It may be little old Norwich syndrome as some call it, but personally I''m not obsessed with finishing 7th in the prem. After some close calls in my lifetime, I want the club to still be here for my kids and their kids in 20 years time, that means living within our means and planning for drops in income fromrelegations. One thing is guaranteed Palace will not ride the crest of this wave forever, we''ll see if these beaming sunny statements are still being released then.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Whatever your plans I''ll bet you here and now that the next seven years won''t be as exciting as the previous seven.[/quote]

Yes plans. A business model. Something that all businesses has. Erik raised the point, what is our new model?

What are your thoughts on change? What can we do to change the perception? How can we attract new blood for when the majority shareholders call it time?

You sum up the fellas points perfectly nutty. Your constantly looking back on what''s happened and not looking at what we could achieve going forward.

Why can''t the next 7 be better? Thankfully our manager doesn''t think like that and doesn''t accept "those days" that often act as a smokescreen.

You also cal people out and say forums aren''t for them. Is this because people''s opinions don''t coincide with your own? Is it wrong they want the team to do better?

To quote Indy, "you do a lot for causes and you and deserve respect for that, but you don''t own the right for opinions nor should you resort to as you always do putting down posters, poor form every time, from you"

Most of the threads you''re involved with end the same way.

I''m off out for the day, have a good one folks 👍🏽

Some excellent points on this thread, a shame that Nutty and the OP have spent so much time splitting hairs and opening up old wounds when there''s a genuinely interesting question here.Now we are debt free and currently sitting at the top table, how should the club evolve from here? At some point in the not-too-distant future there will need to be succession planning (if, indeed, there isn''t already) for what happens when Delia and MWJ retire.Much as I''d love to see another tier on the City Stand and an expansive transfer outlay, I think the most important thing is to ensure that any growth is sustainable. In the short term a super-rich owner might give us that expansion, but the bigger the spend on transfers, wages and stadium improvements, the bigger the black hole should the club be relegated.It''s a tough condundrum - realistically, no club of our size is ever going to be able to regularly challenge the top six, and beneath that it takes stability rather than financial revolution to hold your own in and around the top half (Stoke, Southampton, Swansea). Much as I would love to see Norwich expand into Europe and sweep all before them in a Football Manager style, realistically that will never happen. We are a smallish club in the grand scheme of things, in an unfashionable area, and even if we were a successful top-flight side I can''t see us regularly attracting gates much in excess of 30,000.So I guess my question to the floor is: what is our maximum realistic potential as a football club, and how do we get there and stay there in the long term?

Good post feedthe wolf

Agree with the context of what you are saying, We would very quickly become fashionable if we were paying players 150k - 200k per week, and had a super duper 50,000 plus stadium, and the only way that would ever happen is if some Foreign royal family were to buy the club and money was no object.

And in truth there is still a massive learning curve, with no guarantee that it would work.

However if the club and the people at the helm continue to progress (and I''m sure there is plenty of discussions on succession planning)all progress will be steady, we wont have a stadium of more than 30 -33,000 capacity, so it is unfortunately from a fans point of view very much all about "ambition with prudence" even if we don''t like the connotations that brings to mind.

FEW great point about how to grow in a controlled manner. Difficult as the board try to invest as much as they can into the squad development and any increase in revenue is normally eaten up by the rise in wage demands by each seasons footballers. How to finance growth in the ground whilst keeping the focus on the pitch is always difficult. Wolves are proof of taking your eye off the pitch and focusing on the ground!

I don''t have an answer other than to try fund the stand with sponsership funding?

[quote user="AllenWickerbasket"]Lack of ambition from the supporters ! ! !  I''ve heard it all now. Though never did I imagine that I would read such idiotic piffle on this forum.[/quote]That was the Palarse chairman talking about his own supporters.

Well the City (Geoffrey Watling) stand is currently unsponsored, so perhaps at least some of the cost of building a second tier could be offset by naming rights I suppose. Thing is, even last year there were some games where we didn''t sell out, and there''s nothing worse that seeing a big ground with swathes of empty seats (Middlesbrough being just one of many examples).You know, the more I think about it, the more I don''t see that second tier as a priority just now. For all the accusations of parsimony levelled at the board recently, you have to consider the overarching wage structure at the club, as well as the loyalty and dedication of the existing players.All hypothetical, but let''s say that with promotion bonuses, the majority of first-team players are in the £15k-25k wage bracket (doesn''t matter if I''m wrong, it''s just to set a scale). We want to bring in an impressive young signing - say, Afobe. He is to be the jewel in our crown, the player to shunt us up to mid-table. We pay out £12m for him, but he demands £40-50k in wages. Doable.However, you then have half a dozen players saying "hang on a minute boss, I''ve been loyal to the club through relegation, I''ve got a bag of top-flight experience, but this kid is earning twice as much as me!" - that scenario could foment envy and unrest in the squad, or it could cost you a sh*tload of cash to even it up. If we''re going down the ''big spender'' route, everything multiplies - and you''ve got to have the dollar to back up that ambition.As such, a galvanised squad with slight, incremental tweaks and improvements, rallying round a super-talented and ambitious manager, feels like the right mix for us now. I would like us to push to the next level, sure, but only when we know we can do it in a way that jeopardises neither what Alex Neil is building, nor the financial stability that the board have acquired for the club in the last five years.Right, I''m off on a jolly now - back in Norwich just before kick-off tomorrow, so I won''t get round to reading any responses until Sunday in all likelihood. Keep it clean, kids, and trust in the gaffer.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Well the City (Geoffrey Watling) stand is currently unsponsored, so perhaps at least some of the cost of building a second tier could be offset by naming rights I suppose. Thing is, even last year there were some games where we didn''t sell out, and there''s nothing worse that seeing a big ground with swathes of empty seats (Middlesbrough being just one of many examples).

[/quote]

Yeh but, if we had a brand new ground in a development area just outside the City with naming rights for the ground and bus stops immediately outside the ground people would go there in their droves.

Where''s the visionary who could see this project through to it''s glorious conclusion?

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Some excellent points on this thread, a shame that Nutty and the OP have spent so much time splitting hairs and opening up old wounds when there''s a genuinely interesting question here.Now we are debt free and currently sitting at the top table, how should the club evolve from here? At some point in the not-too-distant future there will need to be succession planning (if, indeed, there isn''t already) for what happens when Delia and MWJ retire.Much as I''d love to see another tier on the City Stand and an expansive transfer outlay, I think the most important thing is to ensure that any growth is sustainable. In the short term a super-rich owner might give us that expansion, but the bigger the spend on transfers, wages and stadium improvements, the bigger the black hole should the club be relegated.It''s a tough condundrum - realistically, no club of our size is ever going to be able to regularly challenge the top six, and beneath that it takes stability rather than financial revolution to hold your own in and around the top half (Stoke, Southampton, Swansea). Much as I would love to see Norwich expand into Europe and sweep all before them in a Football Manager style, realistically that will never happen. We are a smallish club in the grand scheme of things, in an unfashionable area, and even if we were a successful top-flight side I can''t see us regularly attracting gates much in excess of 30,000.So I guess my question to the floor is: what is our maximum realistic potential as a football club, and how do we get there and stay there in the long term?[/quote]

Where the wickerman when you need answers?

Great post 👍🏽

I think we''ve progressed well since that terrible relegation to League One. I say terrible, but in the end it really galvanised the club and got us out of a rut we were stuck in.
Since then, I think the owners & board have really done a good job. There''s been the odd mistake here or there however there''s always been fans on either side of the fence in regards to the poorer decisions, so it shows the fans couldn''t do a better job between them anyway.
Saying all that, I have nothing against us getting new people in to help develop and push the club further forward. From what i''ve heard from Delia and Co, whoever they do allow onto the board will genuinely have the best interest of NCFC as the primary objective, so there should be nothing for us to worry about here.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Whatever your plans I''ll bet you here and now that the next seven years won''t be as exciting as the previous seven.[/quote]

Yes plans. A business model. Something that all businesses has. Erik raised the point, what is our new model?

You sum up the fellas points perfectly nutty. Your constantly looking back on what''s happened and not looking at what we could achieve going forward.

Why can''t the next 7 be better? Thankfully our manager doesn''t think like that and doesn''t accept "those days" that often act as a smokescreen.

You also cal people out and say forums aren''t for them. Is this because people''s opinions don''t coincide with your own? Is it wrong they want the team to do better?

To quote Indy, "you do a lot for causes and you and deserve respect for that, but you don''t own the right for opinions nor should you resort to as you always do putting down posters, poor form every time, from you"

Most of the threads you''re involved with end the same way.

I''m off out for the day, have a good one folks 👍🏽[/quote]

I''ve been ouit all day too but seriously Danny, WTF is all this about?

Like Indy if someone disagrees with you you get all precious. Neither of you want to debate and for some reason different rules seem to apply to me than any other poster. The reason I said discussion boards may not be for you is because you won''t debate your opinion. I tried like with Lambert but you come back with a nonsensical post about me being "perfect for the opening post" No attempt to debate my reasonable and factual post. Then you some how blame me for bringing up Lambert''s departure, when it was clearly you, and tell me to stop going over old ground and move on. You and Indy were both first with the put downs and it''s not my fault neither of you are any good at it. Finally, this bollox about me doing lots for causes is a load of patronising nonsense. The good that''s done on this board is not done by me but by this community. It''s something I have continually asked both you and Indy to take part in to little avail.

To get back to your seven year plans? How does it work in a business when a bad run of results can half your income at in just a few months? I find it strange that you should bring these criticisms up now when the last seven years have surpassed any plan you could have come up with seven years ago. Even that relegation was planned for in as much we were equipped well enough to cope with it.

If you have a seven year plan and want to debate it I''m happy to oblige. But you don''t seem to have. The truth is you don''t want to debate anything. You just want people to pat you on the back and agree with your criticisms of the club. Well I don''t agree with them. I think the performance of our owners and board over the past 6 years has been absolutely outstanding. You don''t have to agree but I''ll quite happily debate it with you.

It''s not a critical post.

If I attention seeked and wanted a pat on the back id be on here all day everyday

It''s just a bit of a repetitive cycle with people that don''t share you POV. We''ve been here before and tbh I like you and can''t be bothered going over old ground.

But genuinely, the work you do on here is first class and I can''t knock what you and the pups do.

Off out now, not really got time to keep going. It''s beer o''clock! 👍🏽

Now now Nutty thought you wanted and we came to an agreement that we wouldn''t mention each other as negative references and here you go having a dig at me again about not debating.....poor form.

Don''t think we did Indy. I think you had a little flounce and then couldnt see it through. Within forum rules and within the spirit of the board I will post what I want when I want. Have a word with Danny, hes the one that quoted your patronising nonsense...

I see your memory must be going old boy!

Re: They know they''ve done badly.

Marvelous. So it was only a mini flounce in the end Bindy. Good. Shall we make a pact buddy? I''ll call you out when you make things up to attack the club and you can call me out when I invent stuff to support them. Deal?

So your word is about as good as a chocolate fire guard.

Fair enough lapdog.

So because it''s not in line with you opinion it''s patronising nonsense.....Jesus you need to take your medication old boy.

Wrong again twice Indie. No where did I say I wouldn''tmention you which was quite plain. It''s also clear that the patronising nonsense is you and Danny''s bollox about me and good causes. Especially from you, a poster I''ve continually invited to take part in the good deeds done by this community. NOT ME.

Off topic again old boy? You''re so full of your own opinion on here it''s laughable and because you are held in high esteem for the good work you do....rightly so I will say, you find yourself talking down to most on here, but you don''t see it. Yes there are a lot on here who rally round you on these threads.

I do my bit for the club through my company directly with the club, don''t gamble never have and have no knowledge of it so predicting scores is just a bit of fun for me on some threads.

Carry on with the good work and your high opinions.

I''ve never asked anyone including you for money and I''ve never asked anyone including you to gamble. Where did that nonsense come from?

I''m not walking away from you Indy but I''m leaving this now. This community has done great things for causes and to be honest it feels like you and Danny are dragging us all through the muck.