Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Crystal Palace chairman

Anybody see his interview on Fantasy Football club the other week? (I''ve just caught up).

Was unbelievably refreshing to hear a chairman talk about being ambitious and trying to change the mindset and perception of a footbal club.

When asked about was he surprised about signing a cabaye, he said no.

"If you don''t aspire, you don''t stretch yourself, you don''t dream you''re only ever gonna be what you are....."

"Alan dis play a part but he wasn''t going to sign if we didn''t match his ambition. But you need to try and change the lack of ambition that can come from supporters. That starts from the top."

I must admit that I agree with everything that he says. He wants to take palace up a level and make signings like cabaye the norm.

Who can blame him? They are a similar sized club, similar attendances and are now embarking on there 3rd straight season in the league.

His wealth is £45m compared to our owners £23m so not worlds apart in football terms when compared to billionaires.

Do you think the club is held back by "little old Norwich" tag? A perception of playing it steady?

Unfortunately now it seems that palace like Swansea have outgrown us.

Will we bridge the gap? Will we ever have that statement of intent in the transfer market which will make people take note? (Rvw aside)

Just interested in people''s thoughts, if you can catch the interview it''s worth a watch. 👍🏽

Can''t fault the aspirational message, but to pick on one point. If that horrible bloke Pardew wasn''t manager at Palace, Cabaye would not have gone there.

Lack of ambition from the supporters ! ! !  I''ve heard it all now. Though never did I imagine that I would read such idiotic piffle on this forum.

Yeah I''m not keen on him either.

He says Pardew did play a part but it wasn''t the only factor as the players ambitions needed to be matched by the club. "perception" also plays a part.

Would love to have him here. He would challenge the "always do what we''ve always done" mentality that''s for sure 👍🏽

[quote user="AllenWickerbasket"]Lack of ambition from the supporters ! ! !  I''ve heard it all now. Though never did I imagine that I would read such idiotic piffle on this forum.[/quote]

To elaborate he says "some supporters don''t wanna be in the premier league because they are used to the drama in the championship. Some don''t like change as they are used to feeling a certain way."

I''d say there is a lack from some quarters "oh we won''t pay that" "it was palace we lost too" etc.

The Austin saga was evident with this. Our net spend was pittance. Would have been the signing of intent to change the perception? To make people stand up?

After all we cleared a few good earners and with loan deals imminent, who''s to say we couldn''t have afforded his wages?

And we did bid for him so the club were clearly aware of what his demands were, as the agent stirs up business prior to any bid.

Because we didn''t go and splash a load of cash on players such as a Dutch international, a Swedish international, a regular champions league goalscorer, two under 21 internationals, and a bloke from Lazio (and Carlo Nash for good measure!) after spending a couple of seasons in the Premier League.

Perception does indeed play a part, and if you read the above paragraph anybody would perceive that to be good business (Carlo Nash aside) for Norwich/Swansea/Palace any team that has spent a couple of seasons in the PL.

Stop pointlessly attacking the board and watch us overtake Palace again in a few years :)

Do you mean you;d love to have Pardew or Cabaye? Or the Palace Chairman?

He''s right but you have to remember he''s talking about doing exactly what we did two years ago- they are about to enter their third year in this league and have rolled the dice somewhat to attempt to establish themselves this year. We did this when we bought RVW, Hooper and Fer but we f*cked up and spent it on the wrong players and gave that money to the wrong manager whereas so far it looks like Palace have spent it better.

If there is one thing maybe we can learn from him is being a bit more ruthless with managers- he dispatched of Holloway and Warnock pretty swiftly when they underachieved, something we should probably have done in our last Prem season.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]Because we didn''t go and splash a load of cash on players such as a Dutch international, a Swedish international, a regular champions league goalscorer, two under 21 internationals, and a bloke from Lazio (and Carlo Nash for good measure!) after spending a couple of seasons in the Premier League.

Perception does indeed play a part, and if you read the above paragraph anybody would perceive that to be good business (Carlo Nash aside) for Norwich/Swansea/Palace any team that has spent a couple of seasons in the PL.

Stop pointlessly attacking the board and watch us overtake Palace again in a few years :)[/quote]

I mentioned the wolf. He was the coup. The others you mention I can''t agree with. A loan from lazio, Nash and hooper. We didn''t really steal him from under the nose of any "perceived" big clubs. Just QPR. Olsson was signed from relegated Blackburn.

I''m not attacking the board merely highlighting what taking a calculated step forward can do. Like we did with Huckerby. What has elevated Swansea above us? What was so successful? Same with palace?

Why have we been left behind?

[quote user="king canary"]Do you mean you;d love to have Pardew or Cabaye? Or the Palace Chairman?

He''s right but you have to remember he''s talking about doing exactly what we did two years ago- they are about to enter their third year in this league and have rolled the dice somewhat to attempt to establish themselves this year. We did this when we bought RVW, Hooper and Fer but we f*cked up and spent it on the wrong players and gave that money to the wrong manager whereas so far it looks like Palace have spent it better.

If there is one thing maybe we can learn from him is being a bit more ruthless with managers- he dispatched of Holloway and Warnock pretty swiftly when they underachieved, something we should probably have done in our last Prem season.[/quote]

Good post. Forgot about fer 👍🏽

Thanks for posting that CASDP. I totally agree with your stance and of course the Palace Chairman. Yes, they have got some money behind them but their attitude doesn''t need big money.

Successful businesses have been built on that philosophy and reminds me of our club from the moment Bowkett and McNally took over and had a free hand in running the business for a while.

Leeds were ambitious and dared to dream.
Portsmouth were ambitious and dared to dream.
To do so sustainably and incrementally takes time.
I like our current strategy and fully believe that in ten years time we will be in a better position than we are now, with a better squad. 

Left behind ? What on earth are you prattling on about ? You''ve no idea how much was spent by the club, or how much it is currently spending either. The season is hardly started are here you are churning out a load of idiotic rubbish about us being left behind. Stuck for 14 seasons on the trot in the Chapionship is left behind. Following the likes of Blackpool. Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, Leeds, Forest and numerous other clubs is being left behind. Not us. Now run along and look for another stick to beat the club with.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Leeds were ambitious and dared to dream.
Portsmouth were ambitious and dared to dream.
To do so sustainably and incrementally takes time.
I like our current strategy and fully believe that in ten years time we will be in a better position than we are now, with a better squad. 
[/quote]

Swansea west brom are examples on the flip side. Why always look at the failures? Why not the successes? Not all end in tears.

Bury agree. He''s a successful and driven businessman and that shows.

Eddie. Evans is doing a fantastic job and great to see the mings money being invested haha

[quote user="AllenWickerbasket"]Left behind ? What on earth are you prattling on about ? You''ve no idea how much was spent by the club, or how much it is currently spending either. The season is hardly started are here you are churning out a load of idiotic rubbish about us being left behind. Stuck for 14 seasons on the trot in the Chapionship is left behind. Following the likes of Blackpool. Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, Leeds, Forest and numerous other clubs is being left behind. Not us. Now run along and look for another stick to beat the club with.

[/quote]

Left behind in the fact that Swansea are targeting top 8. Weren''t we once on par with them? Palace also tagrtting the same goal and being tipped for it.

I''d say our expections are extremely different. Yes we went down but we kept 90% of the squad and have had 4/5 seasons in this league. I wouldn''t call that yoyo.

Don''t you agree?

Trouble is 20 years in charge is a long time in football, lots changed and now money is the big driver.

Not all teams can be top 8 no matter how much they appears to spend.

That said continuos improvement is difficult in football and generally at som point clubs like ours, Swansea etc. will end up in the never ending cycle of promotion, relegation and sometimes worse.

Until football sorts itself out and stops this utterly deprived and gross over paying of footballers, clubs will always be struggling to attract top players.

I am in the side of looking forward to the next owners, would like to see younger more dynamic owner with fresh view of Norwich and promoting this area, selling this fine area and great city . How they will do that would be hard to say.

Hipsters love a hipster club

Palace is that hipster club right now

It''ll be Stoke next year, calling it.

The way in which we conducted the window and were left scrabbling around for players at the end did not look professional and was a poor advertisement for our club.

Certainly teams like Swansea are way ahead of us now, with the right leadership there''s no reason why we can''t catch them up though.

[quote user="Well b back"]Op please could you tell us all how ambitious Palace were in their first year back in the PL ?[/quote]

Are you comparing it to our return? Or our first season?

They spent in excess of £20m. That''s the disclosed fees but doesn''t account for some undisclosed. Additionally the loans of Puncheon and Jerome.

There''s always going to be one or two clubs to be envious of. I remember in 2009 there were 32 clubs to be envious of. The fact that there''s only one or two now is a measure of our success. Just occasionally, like in the early 90s, a club like ours has no club to be envious of. But that is the only time in my life it was like that and that was probably a once in a lifetime season. No we shouldn''t rest on our laurels. But the club has gone from strength to strength every year since 2009. In those seven seasons this is our fourth in the Premier and they have also included three promotions. We are ambitious and the ambition is obvious to everyone looking in from outside. Just not for some of us. 

Now will someone help me out and tell me whether Bowkett and McNally were the driving force behind the ambitious spend on RVW, Hooper and Fer amongst others. Or had they left by then?

Nutty, we all know that McNally and Bowkett are still with us don''t we (Yes yes you''re being facetious) My problem is/was that the dynamics changed during the period of the second year in the Prem. That''s my opinion and you''ve got yours buddy. I''m cool with that.

Doesn''t the fact that the introduction of Bowkett & MacNally making a huge difference to our club not show that you should not be scared of change?

Some on here are so fixed on our current owners that they can only see a negative outcome should they go.

It''s always a risk but sometimes you need to take a risk or two.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nutty, we all know that McNally and Bowkett are still with us don''t we (Yes yes you''re being facetious) My problem is/was that the dynamics changed during the period of the second year in the Prem. That''s my opinion and you''ve got yours buddy. I''m cool with that.[/quote]

Did the dynamic change to spend so much money in that third season then? The most ambitious window in our history? And if so how has it changed since then?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nutty, we all know that McNally and Bowkett are still with us don''t we (Yes yes you''re being facetious) My problem is/was that the dynamics changed during the period of the second year in the Prem. That''s my opinion and you''ve got yours buddy. I''m cool with that.[/quote]

Did the dynamic change to spend so much money in that third season then? The most ambitious window in our history? And if so how has it changed since then?

[/quote]

Id say that losing one of the best managers we''ve had played a part. Especially with rumours rife of him not being backed.

They had to invest especially with change of dynamics with the incoming manager.