Sign in to follow this  
Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Sticks to beat the club with....

Not only was I delighted with our performance and win today, we had the bonus of the miserablists and Binners having a couple of the sticks they use to beat the club with taken away.

Stick One - Oh look at Bournemouth they are signing so many players, they are so ambitious and we are being left behind. Well based on what I witnessed today they need to go out and buy another five or six players (A bonus within a bonus the much vaunted Callum Wilson never got a sniff).

Stick Two - That Matt Jarvis, last minute panic buy, crap etc, etc. Very assured debut capped by a goal, which, based on his celebration, meant something to him.

I am not going to get carried away by our first home win, but I am not going to hide my pleasure at there being nothing for the usual suspects to beat the club over the head with this evening, coupled with a thumping defeat for the blue noses down the road (Who I suspect many of the usual suspects support).

Good post, but you won''t see the usual suspects on this messageboard till our next defeat. Said at the time how awful Bournemouths signings were, yet people on here were getting their knickers in a twist over the amount of players they were signing.

Another late but meaningless goal will generate a concerned thread. I already have the means to end it, tho. The one game that was close to the end, Stoke, we held tight. Because it mattered.

Was great to see some of our summer business in action. Some really good performances out there, Brady looks better every time he plays, Jarvis had a strong debut and it will help console those who will miss Johnson if it continues. Wisdom and Redmond got better as a pair as the game progressed. Still got Mulumbu and Mbokani to see properly too. Oh and Bassong and Martin were solid.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]According to Canary Call Bassong was terrible and Wilson gave him the runaround!?![/quote]Remarkable what you can deduce from radio commentary.

A great performance today. If the win at the Stadium of Light was down to Sunderland being poor, then today we showed our class. I know it will upset the "Hoolahan love in gang", but I thought Jarvis was MOM today. He linked up well with Brady down the left and was a constant pain in Francis bum. He got some terrific balls into the box and took his goal brilliantly (and it was my pick of the 3 very good goals we scored today). Wisdom had a solid game at full back, apart from one or two times where he found himself in vary strange positions, facing our goal but goalside of his man. However I can''t think of an instance where he got beaten and he linked up well enough with Redders (who for me was a little bit off the pace today and was probably the poorest performer in yellow). Mbokani also looked good, if lacking a little sharpness in front of goal, in his cameo. He showed enough to hint at the fact that between Jerome and him we may have enough goals in us to finish well clear of 18th.That said, we have yet again conceded a cheap goal from a set piece and failed to keep a clean sheet. Which isn''t a problem, as long as we keep scoring 2 or more a game. But the time will come this season where we aren''t scoring 2 or more goals a game and if we want to get anything from those matches we will have to tighten up at the back. And as for you argument about the Stoke game Gainer, if we had been solid defensively for a whole 90 minutes, rather than the 80 we only seem able to muster at the moment, we would be sitting in 5th place, outside of the Champions League spots on goal difference. Also if you think Alex Neil is happy with us conceding in every game, I don''t think you have our manager figured out yet.Roll on Liverpool next Sunday, who have a trip to Bordeaux on Thursday and fin themselves winless in their last 3 league games.

It is good to see how our ''fiasco'' of a transfer window looks when we put in such a decent performance, against one of those who supposedly had a good one (until 2 of their signings got injured - not that, IMO, they were anywhere near worth £15m).

Our ''fiasco'' saw 3 of our signings start today (Wisdom, Brady, Jarvis) and two more come on (Dorrans, Mbokani), and Mulumbu is surely a first choice starter. That us what you want, getting players in that improve what you had. Short of the one cb we did need, I still think we had a decent Window.

I don''t know how AN reacts in training to an unnecessary goal conceded, but I agree he likely doesn''t appreciate it. That said, if he responds by going ballistic, then he''s going at it wrong. I don''t think he does, though. That would be terrible man management, and things would turn sour very quickly. Kind of like it did with Roeder. He hasn''t been making wholesale lineup changes which indicates he''s trying to succeed by building players up, not tearing them down.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]According to Canary Call Bassong was terrible and Wilson gave him the runaround!?![/quote]Yes I heard that - unbelieveable comment.I thought SB had an outstanding game - as did Martin, but you probably won''t get many people admitting it.

I think a lot of the moaners may have lost some grip of the ''Russell Martin is not good enough'' stick. Maybe moving forward we might need to improve on him (we should, obviously, always look to strengthen) but he isn''t as bad as some like to make out.I''ll admit that the stream I was watching was terrible and kept switching itself off more than Titus Bramble in his heyday, but he didn''t seem terribly troubled yesterday by the league''s joint top scorer who was being linked with a transfer to Arsenal and an England call-up a fortnight ago.

Yes good win yesterday, midfield and up front we probably have our most promising set up since....i cant remember when. Add in a manager who we are very lucky to have, the world is Citys oyster. Having said all that, our defence were generally solid yesterday, excepting the go to sleep for Cooks goal, but even so, still concerened  they could ship to many goals over the season. It is good to get wins over the likes of Sunderland and Bournemouth, but truth is, we will also need more points against mid table sides, maybe even some against the Liverpools and Arsenals, if not its bottom 3 at Xmas.But then again, the season ends in May not December. Not strengthening the defence is the only stick i could find, and the way Alex Neil is leading the team, i could beat my opinion with that stick come May.

No whingers around,Smudger in particular to comment on his ''ageing journeyman on 45k a week'' Jarvis statement. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]No whingers around,Smudger in particular to comment on his ''ageing journeyman on 45k a week'' Jarvis statement. [:P][/quote]

If we want to talk about a really ageing journeyman, look no further than Smudger !!