Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Bournemouth

I have not been my usual confident self this week, mainly due to last weeks lackluster performance and a sense that the Transfer Window had been a bit of a fiasco. My more pessimistic Gemini twin had taken over and the doubts had started to creep in. So it was that after a distinctly ragged opening ten minutes in the Carrow Road sunshine I think many others were starting to think the same thing. Apart from one decent run and cross from Jarvis and a wild lash over from Tetty there was little to write home about.The game soon settled into a pattern with City dominating territory and possession but almost a complete dearth of goalmouth action. Jarvis was the pick with some good runs and crosses but attack after attack petered out to nothing. Bournemouth, for all they had been bummed up in the media, looked very ordinary indeed and it wasn''t until near the half hour that they got a sniff of goal. A clip over the top put Wilson in on Ruddy but Brady was quick to whip it off his toe. It seemed to spark City into action as Wes slipped Jerome in only for his shot on the turn to hit the side netting.On 35 minutes the same two combined again to give City the lead. Wes again found space on the right and powered down to the by-line before picking out Jerome centrally and eight yards out. The pass was inch perfect and the big man neatly converted with a low side footed shot. City seemed to be coasting up to halftime when the ref, not for the first time, gave Bournemouth a cheap free kick. I couldn''t see from my end but there was a bit of a scramble before it was cleared.At the half I thought the goal fairly reflected City''s dominance but all in all it was a fairly dull opening period. I think Alex Neil must have had a word because after the break the pace was noticeably upped. Wes picked up a loose ball in midfield and he and Jerome stormed forward, two against two only for a bit of indecision to put and end to a promising move. We needn''t have worried however because the game now entered a period where City, and Wes in particular began to sparkle as they collectively tore Bournemouth a new one.It was Wes again who galloped forward from the halfway line and finding only a retreating defence he ran on and crashed a low drive past Boruc''s left hand to double the lead. It almost became embarrassing as Bournemouth had no answer to a stream of scintillating moves that cut their defence apart. Jerome had an effort blocked and a Brady free kick drifted inches wide then the same player cracked in a low shot that beat the keeper but rebounded off the post.Bournemouth were now looking every inch a Championship outfit and even more so when the clumsy Murray entered the fray (thank God we missed out on that one). It was to no avail as in another sweeping move on 67 minutes when Jarvis was released on the right. He cut into the area as a defender slid past him and neatly crashed a left footer past Boruc. It was game set and match and just a matter of a clean sheet and playing out time. Wes left to rapturous applause, the little man was a class apart today. Jarvis was also replaced in the same exchange as Dorrans and Olsson came on.Hopes of a clean sheet were spoiled on 81 minutes thanks to poor marking at a corner but in truth Bournemouth never looked like getting back in the game. Mbokani came on for a cameo and looked lively and almost got on the end in a couple of late scrambles. There is obviously more to come from him. Three one was fair enough although it could easily have been four or five but lets not be greedy, this was a fine performance from City and will go a long way to putting the more positive Gemini twin back in command.[;)]MOM, Wessi by a mile. I thought he was coming to the end of it a couple of seasons back but on his day he is unplayable. Today was one of those days.[:D]

Well recorded Ricardo, got it pretty much right, my only comment would be, regarding the first half, i thought took us 20 minutes to settle, and were always cautious of the media darlings pace on the counter, but as the half went on our confidence grew, and deserved the lead, just about. A good solid performance, with Jarvis and Brady working well. but in summary your report gives a great overview for those not there.

Hoolahan certainly man of the match by a mile, could played for Juve today.

Bassong and Martin also looked thoroughly complimentary and in command throughout.

Jarvis, Wisdom and MBokani will get fitter, sharper and better and the combination of Brady and Jarvis had Premier League quality stamped all over it.

Howson disciplined and restrained (that''s a compliment) while everyone gave a decent 7. Very professional, controlled and disciplined throughout. Good shape and clear patterns of play. The manager knows what he''s doing and the players know what he wants of them.

Good signs.

Parma

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]I''ve been meaning to ask for, well months and months (years?), Do you take notes Ricardo or does your report all come straight from the grey matter?[/quote]No mate, I have to check for the goal timings and I sometimes get stuff out of order when it comes thick and fast. I often can''t see whats happening up the Barclay End as with today I didn''t know that Wilson had hit the post in that pre-halftime scramble.What you get is what I see and although I ''m not always right with the detail it hopefully gives the unlucky few who can''t attend a feeling of being there.

[quote user="Parma Ham''s gone mouldy"] The manager knows what he''s doing and the players know what he wants of them.

Good signs.

Parma[
/quote]

Coming from you Parma, that is a compliment indeed.[Y]

Then I''m even more impressed than I generally am, (which is very impressed!)I, like many others, really enjoy your match reports as one who is not there. Maybe it''s because I''ve got the memory of a dead goldfish, but the detail you put in to the report I personally find fantastic!Bravo to you sir, and here''s to many more!And good to see you positive again! Admittedly, you were ever the realist, but we don''t like a down Ricardo.Apologies for the ramble, I think someone''s spiked my drink......[A]

It is a very big compliment. You''d be surprised (well perhaps not you) how often players don''t know what''s expected of them.

Many a manager hides behind tub-thumping generalisation, there is detail, work and methodology in much of what was on show from Norwich today. Serious amounts of coaching effort. I like to see it.

Parma

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Then I''m even more impressed than I generally am, (which is very impressed!)u put in to the report I personally find fantastic!Bravo to you sir, and here''s to many more!And good to see you positive again! Admittedly, you were ever the realist, but we don''t like a down Ricardo.Apologies for the ramble, I think someone''s spiked my drink......[A][/quote]Thanks for the comments UC.Glad that you find it informative.[Y]

[quote user="Number 9"]Thanks Ricardo, lovely stuff, what did our defense look like? Sounded poor on the fm.

*lacklustre*[/quote]The defence looked solid No 9, a pity about the clean sheet. The central pair were rarely troubled and Wilson barely got a look in. Brady was very good today, both going forward and back. Wisdom had some nice touches and obviously has a football brain. If I was being ultra critical I would say he is a might slow in getting back in position after a forward foray. Ruddy had very little to do and even if I''d been in goal I doubt we would have conceeded more than one......................and the last time I played in goal was 35 years ago.[:D]

The radio gave the impression that the team as a whole and individuals were significantly better after the half time break, hence AN having an impact.

Would that be confirmed by your view of the game?

Sorry mate just read your report again and answered my own question.

Single malt whisky, empty the bottle or don''t come to play

I was pleased to read your report stating that Bassong and Martin never looked greatly troubled and Wilson did not really get a sniff. I totally agree but was amazed to hear early contributors to Canary Call saying these defenders were not up to it and even Paul McVeigh stating that Wilson kept turning Bassong. Not even did they look comfortable but Seb on several occasions was clever on the ball.

I agree that Bournemouth were nothing special but what really impressed was that compared with recent games we were lightweight in midfield but we dominated through sheer ability coupled with the defensive strength of Tettey. On the negative side Ruddy''s kicking was very poor and for the second match running Redmond did not play with any confidence.

[quote user="ricardo"]I have not been my usual confident self this week, mainly due to last weeks lackluster performance and a sense that the Transfer Window had been a bit of a fiasco. My more pessimistic Gemini twin had taken over and the doubts had started to creep in. So it was that after a distinctly ragged opening ten minutes in the Carrow Road sunshine I think many others were starting to think the same thing. Apart from one decent run and cross from Jarvis and a wild lash over from Tetty there was little to write home about.The game soon settled into a pattern with City dominating territory and possession but almost a complete dearth of goalmouth action. Jarvis was the pick with some good runs and crosses but attack after attack petered out to nothing. Bournemouth, for all they had been bummed up in the media, looked very ordinary indeed and it wasn''t until near the half hour that they got a sniff of goal. A clip over the top put Wilson in on Ruddy but Brady was quick to whip it off his toe. It seemed to spark City into action as Wes slipped Jerome in only for his shot on the turn to hit the side netting.On 35 minutes the same two combined again to give City the lead. Wes again found space on the right and powered down to the by-line before picking out Jerome centrally and eight yards out. The pass was inch perfect and the big man neatly converted with a low side footed shot. City seemed to be coasting up to halftime when the ref, not for the first time, gave Bournemouth a cheap free kick. I couldn''t see from my end but there was a bit of a scramble before it was cleared.At the half I thought the goal fairly reflected City''s dominance but all in all it was a fairly dull opening period. I think Alex Neil must have had a word because after the break the pace was noticeably upped. Wes picked up a loose ball in midfield and he and Jerome stormed forward, two against two only for a bit of indecision to put and end to a promising move. We needn''t have worried however because the game now entered a period where City, and Wes in particular began to sparkle as they collectively tore Bournemouth a new one.It was Wes again who galloped forward from the halfway line and finding only a retreating defence he ran on and crashed a low drive past Boruc''s left hand to double the lead. It almost became embarrassing as Bournemouth had no answer to a stream of scintillating moves that cut their defence apart. Jerome had an effort blocked and a Brady free kick drifted inches wide then the same player cracked in a low shot that beat the keeper but rebounded off the post.Bournemouth were now looking every inch a Championship outfit and even more so when the clumsy Murray entered the fray (thank God we missed out on that one). It was to no avail as in another sweeping move on 67 minutes when Jarvis was released on the right. He cut into the area as a defender slid past him and neatly crashed a left footer past Boruc. It was game set and match and just a matter of a clean sheet and playing out time. Wes left to rapturous applause, the little man was a class apart today. Jarvis was also replaced in the same exchange as Dorrans and Olsson came on.Hopes of a clean sheet were spoiled on 81 minutes thanks to poor marking at a corner but in truth Bournemouth never looked like getting back in the game. Mbokani came on for a cameo and looked lively and almost got on the end in a couple of late scrambles. There is obviously more to come from him. Three one was fair enough although it could easily have been four or five but lets not be greedy, this was a fine performance from City and will go a long way to putting the more positive Gemini twin back in command.[;)]MOM, Wessi by a mile. I thought he was coming to the end of it a couple of seasons back but on his day he is unplayable. Today was one of those days.[:D][/quote]Yeah, that''s pretty much how I saw it on the live stream, Ricardo.Kidding [:)] Excellent read and comprehensive report [Y]

Thanks for your match report Ricardo, missed the game today so good to catch up with your thoughts

[quote user="Cosmic Twin"]Another great report, thanks Ricardo! I''m so glad the positive Gemini twin is back! 😉

What did you think of Jarvis?[/quote]An impressive start from him but AN will be expecting a similar effort every time. He tended to drift out of games at West Ham but I don''t think he will be allowed to do that here.

After watching Match of the Day I noticed that Jerome was very slow getting back for their goal. I think we were hoping to sub him but Bournemouth took the corner very quickly. I hadn''t noticed it at the time and wondered why Cook had had a free header . It was quick thinking by Bournemouth and the only time they caught us napping.I''m sure AN will have a word[;)]

How did we manage to win given 85pc of the players have am immigrant background and an immigrant manager and ceo and after such a disastrous transfer window.

[quote user="T"]How did we manage to win given 85pc of the players have am immigrant background and an immigrant manager and ceo and after such a disastrous transfer window.[/quote]We''ve all got immigrant backgrounds if you go back far enough Mr T.[:D]I think some of mine came over in the 1066 Transfer Window and I''m pretty sure that was viewed as a fiasco[;)]

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]It is a very big compliment. You''d be surprised (well perhaps not you) how often players don''t know what''s expected of them.

Many a manager hides behind tub-thumping generalisation, there is detail, work and methodology in much of what was on show from Norwich today. Serious amounts of coaching effort.
I like to see it.

Parma[/quote]When Neil arrived there was talk of him being another Lambert, but the comparison that seemed to me more exact was with Billy Davies. Because of their similar career paths in early management and all I read in the Scottish media about Neil.And what was said about Davies when he was managing well, which is a time ago now, was that his players, collectively and individually, always knew exactly what their jobs were and what was expected of them. His teams might not have been the most talented but they were extremely well-drilled.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="T"]How did we manage to win given 85pc of the players have am immigrant background and an immigrant manager and ceo and after such a disastrous transfer window.[/quote]We''ve all got immigrant backgrounds if you go back far enough Mr T.[:D]I think some of mine came over in the 1066 Transfer Window and I''m pretty sure that was viewed as a fiasco[;)][/quote]
Good to see your sense of humour restored Ricardo. [Y]

Indeed we all our as I''ve said elsewhere. Football is a great positive advert for ethic diversity.

I was also disappointed with the end of the transfer window but it never comes down to one person and is a very uncertain business. If you sacked everyone who had a deal not complete there would not be anyone left!

[quote user="T"] Football is a great positive advert for ethic diversity. [/quote]It would certainly seem so Mr T,  but I think you meant ethnic[:$]

Indeed I may have done!

There are certain issues I''m sensitive about. I''m allowed to criticise them but I will always defend them to people who don''t know them as I do. Besides I''ve tried your tipple in your honour and it it is atrocious compared to what they produce. They certainly did not seem to have a bad influence on a certain recent mgr either.

The accounts always show that they spend all available and DM is on a massive PL bonus so I don''t believe they didn''t do everything possible. 2 good wins against relegation rivals and plenty of Jan dry powder. I''m still optimistic.

I do continue to appreciate the reports.