Sign in to follow this  
rich

london attack

Whilst the thread should not be used for a slanging match, it has taken it''s natural course.  After the initial shock & grief it was only natural that people were going to talk about the solution to the problems & causes of it.

We should congratulate ourselves that we are able to discuss world events on a football message board, this is what democracy is all about isn''t it? 

In that case I stand corrected.

As I said before I thought everything Sheded was saying was true.

Did anyone see the interview this morning with 4 young British Muslims?   They were saying that although they think the London Attack was terrible, it is no where near as bad as all their brothers and sisters getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.  They blame Tony Blair and George Bush for the attack as if they hadn''t of invaded Iraq it wouldn''t have happened.   

What they failed to comment on is what provoked 911?   What had Bush or Blair done that gave terrorists the reason to fly 3 planes into buildings killing thousands.

I think it is a very dangerous time for Britain.   Young British born Muslims are justifying a terrorist act in the country they were born in and continue to live in.  It is these kind of young impressionable people that could very easily become fanatics.

I would like to offer a summary on this thread to date, as I see it.
Following the appropriate initial post there are some posts expressing hope that the attack does not interfere with the award of the 2012 Olympic games to London. This is then followed by numbers of people commenting on the horror and a generous offer from Paradox to assist with lodging if someone is stranded.
In the midst of this we are advised that a fellow poster with a love of these boards passed away a few days before.
Wizard then reminds posters that we should be careful in reactions to Muslims in the country, as British Muslims are British. If I may paraphrase Sheded, he appropriately reacts to this by pointing out ( correctly ) that just because they are British does not automatically mean they are lily white and pure. His note also contains a level of anger ( one can understand that ) that can be interpreted as being angry with all Muslims. Evil Monkey reacts to Sheded with a gentle admonishment, expressing disappointment at the post. Evil Monkey also asks me for input on what is being expressed on this side of the water. I do so, along with an editorial from a neutral country re 9/11, and also make a comment towards Sheded suggesting we tread lightly on casting criticism that can be interpreted broadly on a race or religious group. Hardly a blistering attack on my part.  Sheded responds angrily and I reply in a manner which, if I may humbly suggest, is intended to clarify that, if we are all speaking about a minority involved in perpetrating and covering up these horrific acts then there is no disagreement.

Stevenage Fan, in a well-intentioned way, then describes that the purpose of this thread was to offer sympathy to others. That was one of the purposes but as can be seen from the summary above, not the only one. ( Herb later points this out to SF ). Stevenage Fan then goes on to say that what Sheded and I engaged in was a slanging match and appalling. With respect Stevenage Fan, I think you are completely wrong on this. In my opinion, what the terrorists did was appalling. What the rest of us need is some honest discussion around this subject so that we all can become united in our cause to fight what is becoming a global curse that seeks to threaten the freedoms that we enjoy. It is not necessary to have lots of different threads on this subject. This is, after all, a forum for NCFC. On this particular thread we all should be big enough to be able to express our points of view on such an important issue, even if there is some disagreement. I would also point out that some of our posters are very young and still formulating their thought processes and beliefs. Again, in my opinion, it is important to help such posters understand the CLEAR beliefs of their elders, not something that can be misinterpreted to support racism.

Finally, with respect to the need to be vigilant in the future, our leaders, leaders of all civilized countries that cherish the right of individuals to live in a peaceful and orderly way, should and will wage our fight against this global terror for fear the terrorists land their hands on something we don''t even wish to contemplate. Our role, as individuals must be to have a heightened awareness of the enemy within. It’s to fight hatred against groups because of their race or religion. It’s also, sadly, to keep eyes and ears alert to suspicious activities and report the same to authorities.  With respect to global terrorism our world has changed and it is not race or religion that divides us. That is the impostor that evil people attempt to persuade us with. No, it is the criminal and evil and, yes, sometimes-insane mind that we must fight against. In the USA we need to look no further than Oklahoma City for proof of this.  
If you read this thank you for doing so.

Herb has already brought me back to Earth Yankee and I replied with - In that case I stand corrected and then continued the discussion.

Therefore a whole paragraph dedicated to showing how foolish I was, was perhaps a little OTT.

I agree with alot of your points though and of course anger did play a major part it what all of us were typing and all of us express anger in different ways.

I have never thought you were foolish Stevenage Fan. I always enjoy reading your posts even when I disagree. What I said on this one was you were well-intentioned.