Sign in to follow this  
rich

london attack

Some excellent posts on here makes you proud to be British.

I work in an office in North London and many people here have friends and family that work in central London, so it was a very tense day here.  My fiance was supposed to be at a meeting at Liverpool Street but it was changed to today at the last minute.

I just wanted to say what a great job all our services people did.   Also did anyone see Ken Kivingstone''s speech, it was really moving and again made me proud to be British.   Most of all though well done to the Londoners, what spirit and resolve.   People like Al Yellow getting on a tube again today, quality, that is why terrorists will never defeat the free World.

Finally, thoughts and prayers with the dead and their friends and family.

Whilst yesterday''s sickening events have quite rightly taken centre stage, I feel that something seems to have slipped through the net from this thread.

Gareth Keenan - can I pass on my condolences to you?  I always enjoyed reading knowwhatimean''s posts, and he will be sorely missed on these boards.

I would also like to say that I feel for everyone caught up in yesterday''s horrific and cowardly attacks.  I have lived with the real threat of terrorism on a daily basis in the past, and it never gets any easier to confront.

[quote]i 1000% understand your sentiments but if the boards closed for the day the murders would have won. my heart goes out to everyone in london today, victims, the lucky ones and the emergency services.[/quote]

Keely: Of course you''re right.

Tumbleweed: Pearls of wisdom as usual, at times our posters spats can all appear trivial.

To all posters: I''m sure I don''t have to remind you that British Muslims are just that, British. They have been hurt and outraged as well!.

[quote]Whilst yesterday''s sickening events have quite rightly taken centre stage, I feel that something seems to have slipped through the net from this thread. Gareth Keenan - can I pass on my condolences ...[/quote]

Of course Templeton you are so right, may I echo your condolences to Gareth Keenen on the loss of our fellow poster "knowhatimean".

[quote]Of course Templeton you are so right, may I echo your condolences to Gareth Keenen on the loss of our fellow poster "knowhatimean".[/quote]

What a awful week this is turning out to be.

Knowhatimean will be sorely missed on these boards.

My sincere condolences to all.

To the moderators:

May I suggest 2 pinned post books of condolences appear on these boards. For bomb victims and knowhatimean.

[quote]Whilst yesterday''s sickening events have quite rightly taken centre stage, I feel that something seems to have slipped through the net from this thread. Gareth Keenan - can I pass on my condolences ...[/quote]

Can i also add my sincere condolences Gareth on what must be a terribly difficult time for you.

Thanks guys for your comments. I wasnt trying to turn this post into a book of condolonces! Im sure My dad would be mightly embarrassed! He derived much pleasure from being able to discuss his beloved football team on here.

Thanks again, but seriously no need for any separate threads as I am not sure he would have wanted that.

Rob Henry

I heard today that they haven''t yet managed to reach a trapped underground carriage near where one of the bombs exploded. About twenty people are thought to be trapped inside! The son of one of my mother''s bosses is missing in London! Please everyone spare a thought and a prayer for those families who are unsure whether their loved ones are safe! I can''t even imagine the anguish they must feel!

As a tube worker i have just spent 48 hectic hours trying to do my bit.

What i can tell everyone is that the Brit spirit has shone through.

The emergency services, staff & public volunteers are absolutely knackered but keep going with all the support being offered.

Coming home tonight & reading this topic gives me a second wind to go back tomorrow.

Best wishes to you all.

[quote]As a tube worker i have just spent 48 hectic hours trying to do my bit. What i can tell everyone is that the Brit spirit has shone through. The emergency services, staff & public volunteers are ...[/quote]

Well done. And to the Emergancy Services.

49 people are now dead. It''s terrible.

[quote]Keely: Of course you''re right. Tumbleweed: Pearls of wisdom as usual, at times our posters spats can all appear trivial. To all posters: I''m sure I don''t have to remind you that British Muslims...[/quote]

Afraid that  isn`t entirely true Wiz !   there are large sections of muslim " Brits "  that have NO intention  ,at all  , of becoming part of the British community !  to believe otherwise  is to bury your head in the sand .... I tend to believe the words of a retired London police inspector , when he stated that he is certain that the bombings were the work of " British " muslims  ...  HE has knowledge that we`re not privy to ,   the news media  is , even now , conducting  a  pr exercise  aimed at  covering up  what is now becoming obvious  !!   since WHEN has a government  department ever  told it like it is ?   sorry , but I , for one ,  am not  into  believing  the crap they`re  insulting my intelligence with  ...

Moobag, keep up the good work, mate, I think its safe to say that its the volunteers and the workers, who keep trying to help through the pain barrier, who are the real heroes.

Sheded, bit disappointed with that post, I think the important word here is minority.  I saw a report on BBC Brekkie this morning about Brick Lane, the multi-cultural market around the corner from one of the blasts - the report really did make you proud of the society we have in most places, and as one person pointed out: "These people aren''t Muslims - real Muslims don''t kill people", which I think the majority of the Muslims in this country would agree with.  The one you need to look out for is the racist, xenophobic thug who declared, quite proudly: "I don''t like any of ''em, I hate the lot of ''em! I think they should all be sent back where they came from!" (sic)

And who was this chap, a Muslim? No, he was a proper English cockney and will, hopefully, be strung up from the nearest mast - not quite the sort of comments we want to be hearing right now, because it is that kind of thinking that gives the terrorists fuel.

What I would like to see from Britain now is a pulling together, embracing all the different cultures that we live with, and realising that there''s no reason not to trust anyone else simply because a minority of terrorists have acted "in the name of Islam".

The last thing I want to see is the kind of reaction that some Americans had after 9/11, as Yankee Canary warned us against the other day - as in, lets not go and bomb the first country we can think of because of what has happened.  Lets get back on with our lives and show these terrorists that they will never win against the British people and our resolve to go on drinking tea... (Cue national anthem, Union Flag unfurls in the background...)

Incidentally, Yankee Canary, what''s the mood like over there with regards to this? Bad memories being stirred presumably?

Anyways, I''ve rambled on a tad (as usual, eh?), but hopefully my point wasn''t lost in amongst all that....

[quote]Afraid that isn`t entirely true Wiz ! there are large sections of muslim " Brits " that have NO intention ,at all , of becoming part of the British community ! to believe otherwise is to bury ...[/quote]

I was speaking in general terms Sheded, mind you, I would never have had the ''balls'', crystal or otherwise, to suggest what you did.

I''m surprised no poster has played the ''racist'' hand at you yet (I wouldn''t) but I believe Muslims have died in the attack too. British, indeed nationality, really doesn''t matter too much to me since the attack.

However, I see the security forces are now saying, that they believe a British ''cell'' was used for this crime (what else would you call it?) this seems to support your theories, the worlds gone bloody mad my friend, yes?.

In my day that would have been called treason!. 

I think it is obvious a British cell would have carried out the bombing.  It''s not like someone jumped on a plane armed with explosives, left them on a tube and then flew back home.   This would have been planned months in advance and the people that carried it out would have been living hear amongst us for years as British citizens, so of course it was British Muslims or otherwise that carried out the attack, but that doesn''t mean the Muslim community as a whole are to blame or knew anything about it.

Anyway this thread is fast turning round a corner I don''t think it should.   We should get back to its purpose which was to offer thoughts and prayers to those that have suffered and to honour the brave people that continue to work hard getting London back to normal.

I agree with Sheded to an extent. There are a lot of Muslims that have come over here to live and enjoy the advantages of our great country but still maintain their hatred for the Western World. It is these Muslims that pose the biggest threat to our daily lives as they it seems would go to any lengths to hurt anybody - man, woman and child.

These Muslims are the minority and it is unfortunate that the Muslim faith as a whole gets a tarnished reputation for the terrorising work of this small extremest band.

[quote]I was speaking in general terms Sheded , mind you, I would never have had the ''balls'', crystal or otherwise, to suggest what you did. I''m surprised no poster has played the ''racist'' hand at you yet ...[/quote]

It would seem so Wiz !  a poster mentioned  a cockney sounding off   about muslims , and suggesting he be hung !   I would say to him that  that cockney wouldn`t DREAM of  detonating a bomb  in a crowded train , timed to explode in the middle of a tunnel  = maximum carnage !  hope that poster  gives a little thought  for  the rescue / investigative team who , right this minute , are  working in tremendous heat , trying to bring pieces of rat gnawed  human flesh  to the surface  for forensic analysis ....  the remains of human beings  who should ,still ,be alive   ..... it shouldn`t take balls to speak the truth   , this IS a democracy ...  STILL !!!!!

In answer to Evil Monkey, all people that I have spoken to over here feel sadness and compassion for those that have suffered in London as well our British friends who are all affected by these unspeakable acts. I''m sure that there are the odd few in all countries who say these terrorists are prepared to die for their cause. To those people I say there is no cause that justifies blowing up innocent people without any warning whatsoever. This is the behaviour of a criminal and a coward of the worst kind on our planet. To the views expressed by Sheded, and others who feel the same way, I say tread lightly in your thinking, as it encourages racism and, thereby, threatens true freedom. In that regard, I thought I would forward the following article from a Romanian newspaper following 9/11......Yankee Canary

Read this excerpt from a Romanian Newspaper. The article was written by Mr. Cornel Nistorescu and published under the title "C"ntarea Americii, meaning "Ode To America") in the Romanian newspaper Evenimentulzilei

"The Daily Event" or "News of the Day".

~An Ode to~

Why are Americans so united? They would not resemble one another even if you painted them all one color! They speak all the languages of the world and form an astonishing mixture of civilizations and religious beliefs. Still, the American tragedy turned three hundred million people into a hand put on the heart.

Nobody rushed to accuse the White House, the army, and the secret services that they are only a bunch of losers. Nobody rushed to empty their bank accounts. Nobody rushed out onto the streets nearby to gape about. The Americans volunteered to donate blood and to give a helping hand.

After the first moments of panic, they raised their flag over the smoking ruins, putting on T-shirts, caps and ties in the colors of the national flag. They placed flags on buildings and cars as if in every place and on every car a government official or the president was passing.

On every occasion, they started singing their traditional song: "God Bless

[quote]In answer to Evil Monkey, all people that I have spoken to over here feel sadness and compassion for those that have suffered in London as well our British friends who are all affected by these unspea...[/quote]

I distinctly remember the 11th of september Yankee  ,  I don`t need lectures  from anyone about what I should think !  I have a brain , I use it !   you talk of the "odd few "   I would talk of the odd few thousand !!    to  suggest  otherwise  is pathetically inaccurate  ,  I may change my stance when the muslims in this country  put actions where their mouths are ,  and  blow the whistle on the active terrorists  in their midst .... NO such action has been evident !!!   this can be construed as  tacit approval  !

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance , wishing it would all go away  is eternal stupidity !!

Sheded, you don''t need to fight with me. Your anger is on view for all to see, whether it be towards the media, your government, anyone who disagrees with you I suspect. You say that you have a brain and that you use it. Really? Are you seriously suggesting that ALL Brits of the Muslim faith are aware of the comings and goings of the terrorists in Britain and are in a position to "blow the whistle"? That certainly is what you appeared to say in your last post. Do you also believe that''s been the case with ALL those of Irish descent living in your midst as it related to past IRA activities? Where would you draw the line on this way of thinking. When the German people failed to stop him, Herr Hitler did a lot of damage with that way of looking at things. Thankfully, that''s not the British way and I''m gratified to see more reasoned thinking from some of the more sensible people on this thread.

[quote]Sheded, you don''t need to fight with me. Your anger is on view for all to see, whether it be towards the media, your government, anyone who disagrees with you I suspect. You say that you have a brain ...[/quote]

Anyone who feels no anger at this latest butchery  has to have psychotic problems Yankee !  maybe thats your problem ?

Did you actually read my post ?  or are you into twisting   the text  to suit your own ends ?    I see nothing  in my post to suggest that "ALL"  the muslims  would  have knowledge  of terrorists in their midst , that is YOUR slant  , not mine !    It might interest you that , on the news this morning ,  there was a muslim cleric   actually admitting that the " muslim community " now  has to take steps  to root out  the muslim extremists  that live among them !    it might also interest you  that the police now have the evidence that the terrorists WERE British muslims ....  and that they have intelligence  pointing to further attacks planned !    which makes  your  " odd few "   statement  look pretty  sick,  not to mention weak ! 

You really aught to  bone up on British TV  coverage  of  problems with muslims over the last three years .... you will see  many examples of " clerics " preaching death to all in the west [ and  Americans in particular!]  OPENLY  on the streets  , and this to a large audience !    and , yesterday,  a TV crew  invited into a mosque , showed a moderate cleric  being physically attacked  by all  in that mosque  because his views  !!  

Get real !!!

[quote]I distinctly remember the 11th of september Yankee , I don`t need lectures from anyone about what I should think ! I have a brain , I use it ! you talk of the "odd few " I would talk of the od...[/quote]

Well said Sheded.

So Sheded, you accept what the media shows on TV when when it suits your line of thinking. In an earlier post you had them conducting PR exercises and cover-ups.

Let''s be clear and not have slanging matches about who is taking what slant on things. What YOU literally said was, quote:

"I may change my stance when the muslims in this country  put actions where their mouths are ,  and  blow the whistle on the active terrorists  in their midst ...."

If you meant to say there is a MINORITY of muslims that are engaged in such activity then say that and most of us would agree. I also agree that all civilised people need to be constantly vigilant. You''re right to be angry at those that are guilty of crimes and cover-ups. I just find it offensive when people use any forum to tar a race or religion with the same brush. 

I don''t think there is a solution to this problem. For every "cell" that is captured before they commit an atrocity such as last week, there will be more to take their place, and some WILL slip through the net to do their deadly deeds.

They are not bothered about being called terrorists, there is a passage in the Koran about it being the duty of Muslims to bring terror to the enemies of Islam, and how can you reason with someone who believes (and I mean TOTALLY & UTTERLY) that eternal paradise at the side of Allah awaits those who commit these crimes?

I was stationed in Germany during the ''90s, attacks by the IRA were commonplace and checking your car for bombs was an everyday practise. You had to leave a space at junctions to give yourself a chance of escape, should a car pull up alongside.  There was very few attacks on military bases directly, just the people who worked there, squaddies on nights out, a young family walking out of a German takeaway and on cars that were off base.

The majority of the Muslim Faith are peaceful, as are the Irish but I think we should be prepared for a long slog as the minority continue to wreak havoc amongst us. 

I think it is utterly appauling that Yankee and Sheded have managed to turn a topic that was posted to wish people well that have lost friends and family, into a personal slanging match about who has the right view and who puts it across properly on a bloomin website.   For god sake both of you take your petty bickering off line, we all bow down to Yankees greater intellect and use of the written word and for what it''s worth sheded I agree with what you are saying, but this is not the time or the place.

Although I do have certain views on this (I''m more in the Sheded camp) can we get back to original intentions of this thread please?, ie. an expression of our grief for the victims of this crime.

Or better still, finish this thread now!.

[quote]I think it is utterly appauling that Yankee and Sheded have managed to turn a topic that was posted to wish people well that have lost friends and family, into a personal slanging match about who has ...[/quote]

Well , I was rapidly  getting cheesed off with the pedantic old sod anyway ,  so , as far as I`m concerned  , the  matter is history !    by the way , you spelt "appalling "wrong  

[quote]I think it is utterly appauling that Yankee and Sheded have managed to turn a topic that was posted to wish people well that have lost friends and family, into a personal slanging match about who has ...[/quote]

Errr...the thread title is "London attack"

I thought the idea of a forum (or at least one of them) is to exchange views.
If people don''t want to join in, they don''t have to, but I for one would rather not be dictated to regarding what I should post in a public forum, providing it doesn''t break the rules.

Who appointed you Forum Kommandant anyway?

sorry Herb, but the way I understand message boards is the person that starts the thread, sets the topic.   The way I read this particular thread was one of support and sympathy for all involved, not a thread to argue with each other.   All I was saying is that we should have used this thread as one of respect and support, but it turned into a sniping match between Yankee and Sheded.   Perhaps they should have taken that onto a new thread debating politics and Muslims etc. etc.

no offence meant, just thought it was a sad way for nice thread to end.

Sheded thanks for noticing    I''m using spell checker from now on.