Sign in to follow this  
rich

london attack

not football, but who can really talk about football on
a day like today, with the huge blasts in london. horrible
scenes. hope noone on this board, or involved with people
on the board are involved.

[quote]not football, but who can really talk about football on a day like today, with the huge blasts in london. horrible scenes. hope noone on this board, or involved with people on the board are involved.[/quote]

You''re right Rich, but can or will, the IOC take the games away from us now?.

If that sounds selfish and trivial at this time, I do of course apologise.

But the thought did flash through my mind, along with the horrific scenes, perhaps thats somebody''s aim!.

Sorry.

Terrible news. To be perfectly honest, I have been expecting a terrorist attack for some time, given our involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let''s just hope and pray the casualty count is not too high. As always, it''s the innocent who suffer whenever evil raises its ugly head. My thoughts and sympathies go with all the victims of these appalling acts.

Wiz I thought the same thing....and then thought that it might not be a coincidence that it happens less than 24 hours after the city wins the Olympics. You never know really, but it does expose the reality that nobody is safe from this sort of thing. The Americans found this out in 2001 (which might have affected the NY 2012 bid), and now the magnitude of today''s events could have the same effect on London.

I don''t think the IOC can take away the Olympics, contracts were signed live on TV! Also out of the 5 final olympic candidate cities, London, New York, Moscow and Madrid have all been recent targets. Anyway, any major city can just as easily be a target, we just have to carry on with life and not let the terrorists win.

[quote]You''re right Rich, but can or will, the IOC take the games away from us now?. If that sounds selfish and trivial at this time, I do of course apologise. But the thought did flash through my mind, al...[/quote]

I had exactly the same thought Wiz, had this happened yesterday morning we wouldn''t have "won".

But that of course is insignificant to this tragic occurrence, my thoughts go out to the poor people that have been involved in it.

This has nothing to do with the olympics, more likely G8! With emergency forces stretched to the limit by being posted to Gleneagles, it was a prime moment to strike.

The IOC have already stated that this will not affect the hosting of 2012.

My manager was in London after going to an insurance awards do last night and was heading to Liverpool Street when it happened, luckily she wasn''t there or anywhere near it at the time!  I''ve just spent the last four hours or so trying to guide her out of London using only text messages, due to the networks being busy, and an increasingly slow internet! Thankfully, she appears to be on her way out now...

my train arrived in Liverpool St @ 0840 and i''m now stuck in an office building in Aldgate.

I might be stuck here long enough to read all of DDiM''s emails and decipher Melanies''  !!

[quote]Wiz I thought the same thing....and then thought that it might not be a coincidence that it happens less than 24 hours after the city wins the Olympics. You never know really, but it does expose the r...[/quote]

I would imagine, just like you, I also feel a tad ''dirty'' talking about sport, when people have died Brum Uni.

But as the IOC, has now been on Sky TV, declaring their total confidence in London, I thought I''d add this.

At least others were thinking on the same lines as us. But they (Sky) then went on to say, it would appear it was a terrorist strike to coincide with the G8 meetings. Other major cities are also warned to be extra vigilant

All I really know for sure, is that people have died, and thats shocking and awful!.

Maybe these boards should close for the rest of the day, out of respect for the people who lost their lives?, when they were only going to work!.

A truly sad day.

I work in West Essex and have several colleagues and family in London. All are OK but don''t know exactly how they are going to get home.

I saw earlier that an Islamist website have claimed responsibility for the attack.

I''d like to think that in the eyes of the IOC, we would not be penalised for such an attack. Surely it''s not the fact that an attack happened (most have expected some form of retaliation for a while) but how we handle it.

My dad''s now stranded in Liverpool Street. They won''t let anyone leave the area apparently. I''m going to pick him up as soon as they re-open London. I haven''t yet spoken to him directly but according to my sister he only missed the Aldegate train because he overslept.

The people who do these things are truly evil, they make me so angry...how can they do this to our wonderful capital and people. May they rot for eternity in Hell!

St.John

horrible stuff indeed. my heart goes goes out to all that are suffering. I work here in Leicester Square & have been told by the police not to leave the building.

Anyway, just wanted to say to anyone that might be stuck in London, We have a spare room in our flat in Kilburn, NW6 if anyone can''t get home tonight. Just give me a call on 07887 581515

I''m stuck near Moorgate. Its not very nice and many people are very worried about how to get home. Frankly, worrying about the Olympics is the last things on people''s minds right now.

[quote]I''m stuck near Moorgate. Its not very nice and many people are very worried about how to get home. Frankly, worrying about the Olympics is the last things on people''s minds right now.[/quote]

I trust thats not a cheap shot at us who did mention the Olympics Tumbleweed?.

If so, shame on you!.

If not, I apologise.

Its been mentioned on every News programme, and was a valid comment, and please note, we also expressed our deep sorrow and upset at the same time.

This is not a time for sniping at each other- we probably ALL feel a little vulnerable and are bound to take offence easily, where none was intended.

Let''s keep our respect for the dead, and for each other, at this horrible time. Remember, we defeat evil scum, like those who perpetrated this attack, by maintaining our own levels of civilised behaviour.

This isn''t aimed at anyone in particular, I''ve just noticed a tendency all around me at present for innocent intent to be misunderstood.

[quote]This is not a time for sniping at each other- we probably ALL feel a little vulnerable and are bound to take offence easily, where none was intended. Let''s keep our respect for the dead, and for each...[/quote]

Good points and noted Fat Barman.

A tragic and sad day for all concerned and those still worried for news of loved ones.

my father passed away on sunday (he used to post on here as knowhatimean) and i am thankful at least he didnt have to see these attacks. It makes me sick that these ''people'' have it in them to be able to inflict this pain on fellow human beings. I dont know what the answer is and i do not pretend to but what I do know is we are so vulnerable right now and these animals seem to have us at their mercy, being able to pick their moments at will. We just have to put faith in our emergency services and hope that someday we will once again be safe from such acts.

Some people are just so sick. It hits you more when it''s in your country. But we shouldn''t be scared. These people - if they can be called that - can''t make us scared to walk out of our front doors. Then they have got what they wanted. I also feel for Tony Blair, just as he is trying to sort out the problems of Africa this happens.

I honestly don''t know what to say. its just such a shock, you don''t expect this to happen in your own country, it just brings it all home. My thoughts go to everyone who has been affected by this and to those who have friends or family who''ve been affected. I sincerely hope that those responsible come to justice.

I think everyone hit the nail on the head, so to speak, today is not a day for football. But we must also not let this get on top of us too much, it must not make us afraid to go out or live in fear of our lives in the case of another attack. Thats what they want.

hey all,

i was in new york for 9-11. just a few miles away watching the towers burn. it''s a surreal experience to say the least and so my sympathies to everyone over there -- there''s just no way to feel settled about it -- it makes you just feel weird.

but the british people''s response is equally important. i, for one, hope that there isn''t unncecessray blind patriotism emerge from this -- as happened in the US. love your country but don''t let it let you make bad decisions.

an eye for an eye does make the whole world blind.

best wishes.

A terrible, terrible day.  It''s these such incidents which make me more determined than ever to give my support to the War on Terror.  It makes me feel even prouder of the fact that we have a government and a Prime Minister who are prepared to stick their heads above the parapet and say ''this isn''t right''.

i am proud of the way our emergency services coped with this barbaric act of utter horror.  Let''s see if the IOC stab Great Britain in the back.  Let''s see if they dare.

A terrible and shameful day. And sorry - but the olympics are TOTALLY irrelevant compared to the hurt and suffering caused to innocent people this day by a wicked and evil group.

I shall be saying a mass for the lost tomorrow and for the injured and bereaved. And indeed for those responsible- that they might come to see the gruesome horror they have caused and repent of their ways.

My heart is heavy as God''s must be.

May he hold all those who have died in his loving arms this night.

My comment wasn''t an attack on you or anyone Wiz, just a comment borne out of horror at what these cowards are capable of.

Doesn''t this all put our rantings about whether Damien Francis is worth £1.75m into some perspective? Sometimes we all just disappear up our own doodahs and forget the big picture.

TW.

[quote]I would imagine, just like you, I also feel a tad ''dirty'' talking about sport, when people have died Brum Uni. But as the IOC, has now been on Sky TV, declaring their total confidence in London, I th...[/quote]

i 1000% understand your sentiments but if the boards closed for the day the murders would have won.

my heart goes out to everyone in london today, victims, the lucky ones and the emergency services.

I feel sick and to be honest, I haven''t been able to focus all day.

I''ve spent the past few weeks travelling up North to look at Universities and each time I have gone via Kings Cross. At the times I have travelled through Kings Cross, its always been about 08:45 in the morning - the same time as the attacks and I''m so glad that I didn''t decide to go anywhere today.

Someone aty my school went to Cambridge''s open day and I seriously hope they are okay.

Attacks like this are the lowest form of cowardice designed to end life but also to attack our way of life, by bringing fear and terror, damaging our economy and causing us to doubt the liberties we hold dear.

Yesterday my wife was heading to her office at Aldgate and was on the tube behind the one between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East, we count ourselves very lucky indeed. I knew people who died in 9/11 and sat at my desk with our phone line open to brokers in the second tower, we heard the panic as some evacuated whilst others stayed and we listened to the squawk box speaker flat line as live pictures played out on our screens of the second attack. I''ll never forget the feelings of either of these days but they taught me one thing ,people have to go on as normal otherwise these cowards win. This morning I got my tube as normal, it''s frightening but we have to get on with it.

To anyone who is planning a trip to London in the next few weeks or months (anytime after the next couple of days) please don''t cancel, please come, enjoy what this city has to offer and show your defiance.