Sign in to follow this  
0ridgemanddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Rugby referee wants football game

I''m no fan of egg chasing but I''m fully in favour of this.

Something needs to be done to combat the woefully poor standard of refereeing in football.

Should introduce a sin bin to football, send a player there for 10 minutes instead of a yellow card, and if he is sent there twice in a game automatically miss next match, that would be only thing I would like from the egg chasers.

How about:
  1. No talking back to the ref, yellow card/sin bin if you do
  2. Move free kick ten yards forwards if the defending team dispute or interfere
  3. Stop the clock when more than a brief interruption to play
  4. Video ref for unclear incidents (obviously only for the bigger games, but I think the PL would qualify)

All (plus the sin bin) eminently sensible if you ask me and would improve the game.

I would like to see no contact between any club representative and the officials including the fourth official from kick off until after the game. This would stop intimidation by managers from the touchline whilst the game is in progress.

I also think referees should be interviewed after a game to account for some of their decisions.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Wouldn''t trust the judgement of anyone who is involved in a sport that uses a ball that isn''t round.[/quote]Unfortunately it''s that kind of arrogance that perpetuates the endemic lack of respect for match officials. I''d take some convincing that stoppages in play for video referrals would be a good move (although probably worth a trial), but the tiresome bullying tactics employed by players and officials needs to be stamped out for the good of the game. As someone who spent years refereeing at grass-roots level, the lack of respect clearly filters down from the top. As Nigel Owens implies, it would be bedlam for a while with players being sent off left, right and centre, but it wouldn''t take very long at all before captains, managers and other players are actually pulling people away from match officials rather than surrounding them like wild animals circling prey.I do agree that the standard of refereeing is currently poor, and that Simon Hooper''s performance in particular was an absolute disgrace, but that''s no justification for the level of abuse meted out by managers, players, fans and the media.I have my tin hat on ready for a broadside. However, before you hurl a load of abuse at me for being an apologist, consider how you would fare if you were pitched in the middle of 22 grown men with a bloodthirsty desire to win with only a whistle and a notebook to defend yourself!

Well said FTW

As there was a lack of a smiley in LDC''s post, I will take it at face value, and take that as a serious comment. After all, Football has got everything right, hasn''t it LDC?

I used to Referee (and have also been a Referees Assessor) Rugby games, and as much as I love my football, there is a whole lot of stuff I would change for Football Refs, so they can be able to do referee a game, to everyone''s benefit

Oh dear, sense of humour failures abound.  Didn''t think there was any need for a smiley, as who in their right mind could think it was serious? 

True, I don''t "get" rugby, but I do appreciate the officials have more respect than football officials.  Unfortunately there is a weakness at the heart of football that will mean it will never put it''s house in order.   It would take a huge change of attitude from the top of the game right down to grass roots to  get rid of cheating, play acting, abusing refs and linesmen, etc etc.    There is a relatively simple concept though  that could sort it out - have a zero tolerance to any kind of abuse or pressure on the officials.  It won''t happen though. 

Btw......why don''t rugby players use  a proper shaped "ball" ?   [;)]  [;)]  [:D] [:D] [:P] 

Owens has such an over inflated opinion of himself. If any of you commenting on here have seen him referee, you will see he is the type of official who loves to be at the centre of attention, similar to a few Premier league Referees we are subjected to.

Stick to rugby Owens, we don''t need anymore egotistical officials in football, thanks.

Well I''ll agree to disagree on Owens. Just comes across as a sanctimonious pratt to me!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Oh dear, sense of humour failures abound.  Didn''t think there was any need for a smiley, as who in their right mind could think it was serious?[/quote]Well you do have something of a reputation for coming out with scarcely believable horseshit with a proverbial ''straight face'', so I feel I had every right... [;)](please note winky emoticon for avoidance of doubt)

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="lake district canary"]Oh dear, sense of humour failures abound.  Didn''t think there was any need for a smiley, as who in their right mind could think it was serious?[/quote]Well you do have something of a reputation for coming out with scarcely believable horseshit with a proverbial ''straight face'', so I feel I had every right... [;)](please note winky emoticon for avoidance of doubt)[/quote]I''m not allowed to say horseshít? What a bunch of ****.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="lake district canary"]Oh dear, sense of humour failures abound.  Didn''t think there was any need for a smiley, as who in their right mind could think it was serious?[/quote]Well you do have something of a reputation for coming out with scarcely believable horseshit with a proverbial ''straight face'', so I feel I had every right... [;)](please note winky emoticon for avoidance of doubt)[/quote]I''m not allowed to say horseshít? What a bunch of ****.[/quote][:D]

for me it needs rule enforcement. that''s all...If a group of players surround the ref then book ALL of them. 6 or 7 players on a yellow card is going to make teams think.Managers should not be allowed to speak to referees pre game, as has been reported in the press does happen on occasion.the problem you have I think is that the rules are open to interpretation. everyone has a slightly different understanding of the rules.. I guarantee if you took 30 people off this message board showed them a rule and asked them to explain it you''d all get a different explanation.Refs cant win... it needs to be done by the book, no interpretation, every week.

[quote user="ridgeman"]According to the BBC website a top rugby referee would like to referee a football game and sort out the likes of Mourinho. He says some games would be five a side by half time. Sounds interesting perhaps he should be in charge of referees.[/quote]

Five a side by half time? Not possible. You need a minimum of 7 on each side for the game to continue. It will only carry on with less if the referee can''t count, can''t see or forgets the rule.