Sign in to follow this  
Discobolus

Defence against Liverpool

Is Whittaker still banned for the Liverpool match, or was it only for one game, if so who plays at right back because I take it that Wisdom cannot play against his parent club, will they switch Martin to right back and bring in Ryan Bennett.

Having served his ban, you would expect Whittaker to start, seeing as Wisdom is ineligible.  AN won''t want to disrupt the centre back partnership unless he''s forced to.

One match ban for two yellow cards = red so would expect the defence to be as it was at Southampton. I don''t see Jarvis being dropped so would expect Brady to continue as left back with Ollsen on the bench.

Definitely only a one match ban so he will go straight into the 11 for Liverpool with Wisdom ineligible.

Whittaker, Martin and Bassong are certainties, but it''ll be interesting to see if Olsson comes back in. Would imagine he didn''t start Saturday due to a lack of match fitness coupled with having been away on international duty, so this Sunday will be a good indicator of who constitutes the preferred left-sided partnership. My guess is that he''ll continue with Brady and Jarvis, then when Jarvis tires (he was blowing by the hour mark on Saturday, which is to be expected) it''ll be a natural switch for Olsson to come on at left-back and Brady to push forward. Given that it''s an away match against a ''top'' team, he might consider the more defensively minded Olsson/Brady combination with Jarvis to come on against tiring legs near the end, but I''d expect Whittaker for Wisdom to be the only change.

I reckon Wisdom being illegible has saved Sir Alex having to make a decision. I get the impression he likes Whits because he helps set a good tempo but there''s also the criteria that you shouldn''t change a winning side. In that respect Wisdom would have been unlucky to be dropped. I would expect Brady to remain at left back and Olsson on the bench. I think we tend to overate Olsson as much as we under rate Whittaker. For my money they are on a par.

I agree with you Nutty and to add to the pot, I think I''m correct in saying that Jarvis is right footed, so could in fact play on the right with Whitts, with Olsson at RB at Brady as RM, this would obviously mean NR on the bench or possibly in Wes''s role. Not suggesting it should happen now (albeit NR didn''t make quite the same impact on Saturday as he has recently) but would be another option/string to our bow.

I''m not sure which is Jarvis'' stronger foot! In the warm up he was mainly shooting with his right, but his crosses were mainly with his left and of course, he chose to cut back in and score with his left. Keeping us and defenders guessing!

Agree with the comments regarding Brady - him and Jarvis looked neat down the left having only worked together for a few days. If ever Brady and Jarvis were told to put in a performance to keep their positions - they definitely did that.

Brady has been outstanding as a makeshift left back, and Olsson has no right to walk into the squad - he''s certainly facing a battle.

If our defence does it job, and we can get a result there, I reckon Brendan could well get his P45.

Initially thought that Brady was a bit too much attack minded. However now convinced he is best at left back. A better player than Ollson and shows far more enthusiasm. By the way last time we had to deal with Benteke we had Ryan Bennett and Bassong in central defence. Benteke did not get a sniff !!!!

[quote user="Wiz"]The most crucial deciding factor at Liverpool will be the ref![/quote]For the record, it''s Anthony Taylor.

Yes but the overhead kick should have been disallowed for dangerous play !!!!!!!!

Thankfully they no longer have Suarez. Every time we played them he tore the defence apart. Even the draw we got at Anfield, in our first season back, he should at least got a hatrick. Thankfully he didn''t have his shooting boots on that day, unlike all the othertimes!