Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

They know they've done badly.

Interesting, had not thought of this before, but i was looking at the ages of our defenders. Its not just the lack of cover or the fact that our defence lets in sloppy goals in the majority of our Prem games. Our defence is aging together also, they maybe ok age wise right now but time flies and so do football seasons. Russ Martin will be 30 in a few months, Steven Whittaker is already 31, Seb  Bassong is 29..yes can say in their prime but sooner or later its not just a question of adding 1 quality CB, we should be thinking ahead about many more additions imo.If the powers that be at the club know theyve done "poorly" as regards strngthening, then often the buck has to stop somewhere. Head of Recruitment would be a obvious candidate i suppose. But its a conundrum, in 2 of the 3 areas i dont think theyve done badly at all, up front and especially midfield City look good. But our defence.....i fear Alex repeating himself often after many games this season..."we let in sloppy goals".

Sorry JF, but you do know there are squad rules in the PL, don''t you? No side can have more than 25 senior players, we have 24 at the moment, so are only one shy of full complement. This, by definition, means that they all sides have some limitations, or will start to need to bring in youngsters.

We do have a possible gap in defence, we are all well aware of the fact, but it does seem to be getting a little overstated - if things get to your doomsday prediction we can sign an out of contract player or use an U-21 player such as Gafaiti (is he still about - must be getting on to a point where he''s either used or released?).

YesI know that, you do know there is a space in the 25 for what I would presume was our CB signing that didn''t happen? I''m still waiting for someone to tell me where the adequate cover at CB is though? And no the answers of maybe the inexperienced and untried Wisdom is the cover don''t wash. If that were the case why were we getting bids rejected on transfer deadline day for another one? Someone has messed up and at this level things like that could be the difference

[quote user="Dead Canary"]I wouldn''t expect them to come out and say anything because there is no need to. [/quote]Well it''s never stopped them before. All this season, and up until the last day of the window, it was almost a case of verbal diarrhea.I guess they''re just a wee bit embarressed that the Grabban affair put a spanner in the works & from there on in things didn''t quite go to plan.

I am sure you are keeping a watch on your thread Wiz so i note that the other forum where you have reproduced this same thread one of the moderators has suggested you do one and stick to posting such stuff on here !

Sorry Branson I skim read your post cos I was being occupied elsewhere and see you have made the points I referred to

[quote user="JF"]Im not inventing any injuries, im creating a scenario that will happen at some point before January. It will be a miricle if we go from now till then with everyone fit or eligble to start. 3 center backs are not enough and i would imagine that Neil allowed Turner to leave on the understanding another was coming in. Why that didnt happen is anyones guess[/quote] What are these center backs you talk of. Do you mean centre backs ? Footballers who play in the middle,the centre, of the defense,

Tbh I think we are all largely singing from the same songsheet - I actually think we were just the one cb from having had a decent transfer window, something that has left a bit of a hole but I guess it depends how optimistic you are on what its impact will be. The thing is, we were never going to do a Watford and buy up Europe, and we did generally strengthen in the Window, but are just left looking at our defence and wondering.

Was reading an interesting article looking at key errors made by Premier teams so far. We were shown with 10 errors, of which 8 were clear goal scoring opportunities not taken, the other 2 were defence errors but neither led to a goal scored against us. So perhaps the focus on forward players in the transfer window was indeed spot on.

[quote user="JF"]I''m still waiting for someone to tell me where the adequate cover at CB is though? And no the answers of maybe the inexperienced and untried Wisdom is the cover don''t wash.[/quote]Wisdom has made 14 Premier League appearances for Liverpool and 24 for West Brom. Hardly inexperienced or untried......

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I am sure you are keeping a watch on your thread Wiz so i note that the other forum where you have reproduced this same thread one of the moderators has suggested you do one and stick to posting such stuff on here ![/quote]So far, apart from the odd poster I''ve been well pleased with the response from both sites.

I''m not really expecting or wanting someone from the club to give out quotes, explanations, reasonings and the apologies some seem to feel they are entitled to for anything, just focus on winning games and doing the football side of things well, sod bloody soundbites and explanations every couple of days or so.

I was going to mention about Wisdom, he has plenty of PL experience, and is thought highly of at Liverpool - enough to tie him to a lengthy contract. I believe he is regarded as either a cb or rb, as many defenders are, and has played both.

Look, Wisdom would be CB long before Tettey or any other midfielder.

We would also move Elliott Bennett to right back, put Toffolo at left back long before we are forced to play Tettey at CB!

Sensationalism if ever I saw it!

Ffs Elliot Bennett at right back and Andre Wisdom at CB! A defence to strike fear into some of the world best players for sure. Lunacy if I ever saw it.

Just sit back and enjoy the relegation and hope those down the road dont finally come up , because if they pass us on the way then heads should roll starting with the owners who basically bring very little to the table and are more of a millstone around our necks .

You''re either an idiot or trolling or both!

Are you thick? Elliott Bennett has played right back and Wisdom is a defender who has played cb. FFS we aren''t talking about a defence to strike fear into some of the world''s best players here. We are talking about this nonsense scenario that YOU have created where we get a million injuries and suspensions. With us being forced into fielding our best possible side under your scenario, and not our strongest side with everyone fit!!!

The lunacy is playing a player completely out of position! That would be Tettey at cb! When has Tettey played cb? We have all seen what happens when you play a player out of position. AN did it himself not that long ago and look how that worked out!

Let''s say we do play Tettey at cb. Who will we play in defensive midfield? Who will provide the cover for Tettey playing out of position? Cos he sure can''t play it himself and Mulumbu is out injured.

Even if we got lots of injuries and suspensions there are many options that would be more sensible to try in an emergency than play Tettey at cb.

Toffolo has played a full season in defence at Swindon. He also had a very good pre-season for us. The OG was very unfortunate and not a reflection on his performances.

Toffolo at cb whilst keeping Tettey as defensive midfield cover would be much more sensible than playing Tettey at cb.

We are talking about your scenario of extremes here and not our best side FFS!

You are trying to create sensationalism. What you''re trying to do is make out that the current situation is worse that it is and with 1 in jury and 1 suspension OMFG, don''t you know it, we are going to be forced to play Tettey at cb!

**Bangs head against wall, many, many times**

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Just sit back and enjoy the relegation....[/quote]The only people who would enjoy relegation would be folk like you who could say "I told you so"......and the binners.Not sure which category you fall into.....

Lol. Not a million injuries, 2 either before or in Saturday''s match would have us playing a player out of position there. Lucky for us that Ryan Bennett is so rarely injured! I don''t expect to see a midfielder there all I''m saying is we''re so short numbered there that and suspension and an injury and it''s a real possibility

Martin gets injured playing for Scotland Monday, Bennett and bassong start Saturday with wisdom right back leaving no central defensive cover on the bench. Either player takes a knock in the match or sees red and our lack of cover there leaves no options. Unlikely to happen but hardly impossible. Or Whittaker gets a long term injury leaving wisdom at right back, Bennett continues his fit for one month injured for the next run leaving Martin and bassong our only options there. Sensational you may say yet if one of them is ruled out for a month or two....

Who knows. I think you''ll find the quote you seem to have pickef up on was me saying we''re so short of cover at CB that were only an injury and suspension away from someone like Tettey having to play there. As for sensational we will see. If one of Martin, Bennett, Bassong or Wisdom pick up an injury we will revisit this

Have to agree with Nutty, Jesus you''ll be coming up with a scenario where Whitts would be playing as a holding midfielder!

Fantasy scenarios that could never happen.

Who''s more like Tettey than Tettey then?

Just like last season there''s far too many having a pop at our manager. Some of you never wanted him. But as I said last season he isn''t that inexperienced compared to us posters.

Also for the ridiculous Elliot Bennett to right back crew I hate to be the one to break it to you but he isn''t going to be around here much longer

I''m not having a pop at the manager at all thank you. It''s someone behind the scenes that''s let him down