Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Carrow Road "passion"

Noticing that the PinkUn pushes a comment from former ref Keith Hackett, claiming CR had the most agressive atmosphere he ever encountered.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/former_top_referee_carrow_road_most_aggressive_atmosphere_that_i_ve_ever_encountered_1_4236493

For a foreigner, I have been to CR many times through the years, in all divisions, both in early kickoffs, and booze-filled late kickoffs, so I have got enough personal experiences to know what I am talking about.

I dont know the numbers, but probably more than 50% of the season ticket holders are well into their mature years, likely majority over 50.

Carrow Road is a great stadium, proper football ground, but to claim it is very partisan or agressive, even very passionate, is quite an overstatement.

I find CR is quite a quiet place these days, sadly quite similar to most Premier League teams with all the tourists, although I would expect CR to get much less of random visitors, groundhoppers, asians on tour, etc than the more centrally placed teams in London, or the more known teams in Liverpool/Manchester.

Yes, those who have been at CR for longer than me would probably testament to the fact that CR used to be more hostile for visiting teams, more partisan, more "agressive" or "passionate" if you like, but these days it is more often very quiet than passionate. Sadly.

I think we all know Carrow Rd vs the scummers is as aggressive and passionate as it can get. Of course in the media it''s all about the Manchester derby, London derbys, North East Derby etc but in comparison they are all pretty tame.

There''s probably not many bigger in the world, maybe Boca v River. One or two others but not many.

It certainly has it moments now when it''s loud and times it isn''t.

You will find any ground is the same in the country. If we have a game that we are expected to win then the atmosphere is quiet. If it''s a game like man united at home then atmosphere is good because people feel they need to raise the atmosphere for the players and try intimidate the opposition. Go to old Trafford when we are there and the United fans will be quiet as it''s a game they are expected to win.

An East anglian derby is by far the best atmosphere. Doesn''t compare to anything else for us.

It''s not ''often very quiet'', in my opinion.
You just can''t hear us from fucking Norway, shocker.

Most English grounds are now devoid of any real passionate atmosphere, not just CR but certainly all PL grounds (Selhurst Park aside possibly) and most FL grounds too. Football has become gentrified and is now seen as a family activity and as a result the hostility and aggressiveness of crowds has diminished.

[quote user="hogesar"]It''s not ''often very quiet'', in my opinion.
[/quote]

Are you stupid, or just pretending? I wrote that I have more than enough experiences at CR to validate my opinions.

It is generally a rather quiet stadium these days, and I blame a large portion of season ticket holders, in age groups beyond 50 for it.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]Most English grounds are now devoid of any real passionate atmosphere, not just CR but certainly all PL grounds (Selhurst Park aside possibly) and most FL grounds too. Football has become gentrified and is now seen as a family activity and as a result the hostility and aggressiveness of crowds has diminished.[/quote]

True. Certainly a noticable change after the abandoning of standing areas.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="hogesar"]It''s not ''often very quiet'', in my opinion.
[/quote]

Are you stupid, or just pretending? I wrote that I have more than enough experiences at CR to validate my opinions.

It is generally a rather quiet stadium these days, and I blame a large portion of season ticket holders, in age groups beyond 50 for it.[/quote]
No, I just see an unnecessary attack on our fanbase of which you have no inclusion with on a typical match-day. The fact is, we''re actually quite loud in comparison to the away trips i''ve made over the past few years. Your observation is based on some experiences over a few matches over a few years. Mine is based on every home game for the past 5 or so years, and most of them for years before that.

[quote user="hogesar"]No, I just see an unnecessary attack on our fanbase of which you have no inclusion with on a typical match-day. The fact is, we''re actually quite loud in comparison to the away trips i''ve made over the past few years. Your observation is based on some experiences over a few matches over a few years. Mine is based on every home game for the past 5 or so years, and most of them for years before that.
[/quote]

"Some experiences over a few matches over a few years"

30 yrs of supporting Norwich, and likely 20 yrs of travelling in England to watch football, both Norwich and other places, surely gives me a reason to have an opinion.

In factual games at CR, I am sure you will always be ahead of me (as I would be for all games in Norway), but of the 8-10 home games I usually attend every season (compared to your from your 20-26 depending on cup games and division), surely the percentage is high enough to know what I am talking about.

The atmosphere is flatter than it used to be, and I would love to see som facts on this (average decibel readings, or whatever)

A tourist is defined as ''someone who travels for pleasure'', which is why Grefstad rules himself out of this definition, nothing seems to please him. [:)]

The game Keith Hackett is referring to was in 1985, Milk Cup semi final 2nd leg, it was a brilliant night.

Hehe, I travel for pleasure, probably way more than any of the frequent forum users here do, but the point while referring to the tourists often seen at many PL stadiums is that these people, while important as revenue generators, are rarely contributing to the experience. They just come to experience it, but not contribute to it.

Having said that, I doubt there are much tourists at CR.

Some of us half-crazy boozers from Norway, yes, but we''re hardly tourists. After all, we''ve been to these shores before, perhaps not always as valued and invited guests :), but still...

[quote user="Al Harrington"]What does that make grefstad then?[/quote]

A supporter perhaps? From sounds of things he''s been to more games than a lot of people on this forum and generally makes sensible and reasoned points so I''m inclined to let him have his opinion. My own experiences are similar that football grounds across the spectrum are less raucous and passionate places than they used to be, that may be due to gentrification, a change in the demographic or just a change in the type of action people are watching (more skilful and less full blooded) I don''t know but it''s a universal issue...

Grefstad is owner of one of biggest betting sites and since many years follow Norwich that''s is without doubt so sure not binner but still Mr Hacket talk about this Milk cup semi 30 years ago not general about CR atmosphere, so I not see any reasons to compare 1 game 30 years ago against Ipswich and overall CR passion at all.

[quote user="cornish sam"]

A supporter perhaps? From sounds of things he''s been to more games than a lot of people on this forum and generally makes sensible and reasoned points so I''m inclined to let him have his opinion. My own experiences are similar that football grounds across the spectrum are less raucous and passionate places than they used to be, that may be due to gentrification, a change in the demographic or just a change in the type of action people are watching (more skilful and less full blooded) I don''t know but it''s a universal issue...

[/quote]

Quite right. We get waves of posters that go through xenophobic phases and its quite annoying. I even get the brunt of it from time to time because I currently don''t live in the country!

[quote user="Redders Right Foot"][quote user="cornish sam"]

[/quote]

Quite right. We get waves of posters that go through xenophobic phases and its quite annoying. I even get the brunt of it from time to time because I currently don''t live in the country![/quote]
Binner

If your not sitting in the Barclay or Snake pit, Carrow road is pretty much silent and the atmosphere is dreadful but we are a family club so what do you expect