Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

What's you second sport?

For the record, it’s the occasional 6 nations (TV spectating) and  climbing (not spectating) for me

Recently discovered the pleasure of watching Aussie pyjama cricket highlights on BT Sport while exercising in the gym before work... 2 for 1

55 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

You could almost say that has all the hallmarks of a spambot...

But without the spam...

As for me, the only sports I can't really watch are horse racing and golf (though enjoy listening to the masters on 5live oddly enough). Top 4 are probably Rugby League, NFL (Eagles fan), cricket and rugby union though the order is variable...

Second sport? Destroying the 'arguments' of Brexiters.😜 Apart from that I played league cricket🏏 (very much lower-league, I should stress, with the rare good player slumming it) until I decamped✈️ to my tax-haven tropical paradise island.🏝️🍸🍍

About 30 odd years ago , in the days of Senna,Prost,Mansell,Piquet etc and obviously Murray Walker I would watch every Grand Prix on TV from start to finish on a Sunday afternoon....nowadays I struggle to watch 5 laps in a row

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

As for me, the only sports I can't really watch are horse racing and golf (though enjoy listening to the masters on 5live oddly enough). Top 4 are probably Rugby League, NFL (Eagles fan), cricket and rugby union though the order is variable...

Your top four are probably my top four for not watching!  Agree about horse racing and golf though.  I used to watch cricket and even went to see England play a few one day matches at one time, but the hype around cricket and most high profile professional sport has ruined it for me.   Tennis still gets me, the sheer mental/physical aspects of singles tennis never gets boring and doubles can be so entertaining to watch and if it wasn't for getting yellow and green blood sucked into me at an early age I wouldn't watch football very much.

On 09/09/2015 at 18:20, lappinitup said:

I love football and I also closely follow cricket and boxing..However, since the days of the firs and the great Ove Fundin, I have always had a Passion for speedway.Watching those guys roaring round a speedway track at 50/60/70 mph with no brakes and on dirt still sends shivers down my spine. Those lads are a totally different breed to mamby-pamby footballers who roll about on the pitch at the slightest touch. Speedway riders are hurled to the ground at high speeds battered and bruised but still comer out five minutes later for the re-run. Broken bones, arms, legs collarbones, hands etc still won''t stop them, get some plaster on and back to the track two weeks later.Back in the day I loved it when we watched City play in the afternoon, then a stroll along Riverside, Barrack St, Magpie Rd, Aylsham Rd, getting chips on the way, a coke in the Boundary Buttery and then on to the Firs for the speedway in the evening. I still go to Kings Lynn occasionally and of course, watch it on TV whenever it''s on (Eurosport, Sky).What''s your second sport?

Kabaddi

Id say football and basketball are joint favourites. I have little enthusiasm for professional football apart from Norwich and football manager these days. The money involved has ruined the game. That and roeder and Hughton years which even made going to Carrow Road seem like a chore. 

I enjoy watching any sport on tv except golf and F1. Love it when the Olympics is on with all the random sports you dont normally get to watch. 

I alternate between Football and Horse Racing, usually depending on how well Norwich are doing.

Aside from them Rugby League is the only other sport I'd say I was interested in.

My job revolves around sport so keeping up to date with all mainstream sports is handy.

I do try and watch he Superbowl every year and usually last around 15-20 minutes before turning off however I did last the whole match this year.

5 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Id say football and basketball are joint favourites. I have little enthusiasm for professional football apart from Norwich and football manager these days. The money involved has ruined the game. That and roeder and Hughton years which even made going to Carrow Road seem like a chore. 

I enjoy watching any sport on tv except golf and F1. Love it when the Olympics is on with all the random sports you dont normally get to watch. 

That's why I used to love Transworld sport on C4 back in the day, an hour of sport that you didn't know existed and then wouldn't hear about again for 6 months... I do agree with you about pro football though, I used to watch every match I could now I barely ever bother watching a full match if Norwich aren't involved...

Which bit of the lakes are you in @lake district canary? Your derision of RL makes me think it must be the wrong end...

1. NFL, I travel across to the US for San Francisco games

2. Football, but only NCFC, it is in the blood but being away I probably interact less and tbh I spend more money going to other sporting events and sporting clubs.

3. Rugby League, NRL and Super League just a fantastic sport and the fandom is great

4. Tennis and cricket, I have been to Monte Carlo, Madrid, California, Cincinatti for tournaments to support del Porto, Federer and jn my younger years Sampras, edberg, Goran and pat rafter. Afraid never a British player.

Cricket, well it is a great sport to introduce people who do not enjoy sport too, great venues, atmosphere, moments. My girlfriend thoroughly enjoys t20 and I keep showing the overseas tours. One day I would live to see a test match in oz, west indies, India and south africa

5. Athletics and winter sports. The 1991 Tokyo world championships is a watershed moment for me. Karl Lewis and Mike Powell competing in the best duel ever. Michael Johnson a hero and then downhill skiing and the ski jump just love all the sports.

AFL, golf, motor sports, triathlon, baseball, boxing... tbh all sports. Rugby 7s over the 15 game however.

Sport is 100% my life having worked at NCFC, the SPFL, Sky Sports, Samurai Sportswear, Adidas, US youth Soccer, Warrior and helping launch warriors ice hockey range in the early 2000s.

46 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Which bit of the lakes are you in @lake district canary? Your derision of RL makes me think it must be the wrong end...

Somewhere in the middle, away from the RL towns.  Never got rugby of either persuasion really, although remember my dad watching RL on Grandstand on the BBC on a Saturday afternoon when I was a kid with Eddie Waring and his "up and under".   For me rugby is just a throwback to when they didn't know how to make a proper shaped ball......🙃

Edited by lake district canary

I work in horse racing so you could say that is my first sport and football is my second! 

After those two I’d struggle to put them in order. I’m sports mad and love a punt. You can’t beat going to live events. The Cheltenham festival, Carrow Road, Wimbledon, lords, Trent bridge, European tour golf.  you can’t beat good sport being played live in front of you in a great atmosphere. Even better if you can bet the winner and fund your next trip!😜

34 minutes ago, Hector Brockelbank said:

I work in horse racing so you could say that is my first sport and football is my second! 

After those two I’d struggle to put them in order. I’m sports mad and love a punt. You can’t beat going to live events. The Cheltenham festival, Carrow Road, Wimbledon, lords, Trent bridge, European tour golf.  you can’t beat good sport being played live in front of you in a great atmosphere. Even better if you can bet the winner and fund your next trip!😜

What do you do Hector?

The only one to mention Athletics was Smooth 👍  Funny how it's the number one sport when the Olympics starts. I tend to follow it because I'm a runner myself. 

I think it’s because that’s the only time it’s main stream. Back in the 80s/90s when Jim rosental was presenting it every week on itv Steve cram, Seb Coe, Peter Elliott, Steve Backley and dozens of others were household names along with Gateshead, Crystal Palace, Zurich, Oslo and the golden league. It had prime time slots on terrestrial tv. Now it’s only every 4 years. 

it also doesn’t help that so many of them are cheats. Soul 88 100m final dirtiest race in history. 7 out of 8 finalists banned at some stage in their career for doping. USDA sweeping Carl Lewis & roger kingdom positive tests under the carpet. Russia state sponsoring doping. It’s just one big chemical convention!

8 hours ago, CDMullins said:

I alternate between Football and Horse Racing, usually depending on how well Norwich are doing.

Aside from them Rugby League is the only other sport I'd say I was interested in.

My job revolves around sport so keeping up to date with all mainstream sports is handy.

I do try and watch he Superbowl every year and usually last around 15-20 minutes before turning off however I did last the whole match this year.

What do you do cd? I’m guessing odds compiler, risk manager or sports journalist?

Golf for me after Football. I'm a member at Stockley Park and play there at least three times a week. Most people don't realise it was a golf course a long time before they put some office buildings there.

Edited by Mind the gap
Spelling error

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Somewhere in the middle, away from the RL towns.  Never got rugby of either persuasion really, although remember my dad watching RL on Grandstand on the BBC on a Saturday afternoon when I was a kid with Eddie Waring and his "up and under".   For me rugby is just a throwback to when they didn't know how to make a proper shaped ball......🙃

Makes sense, I grew up near the west coast and later lived in leeds so had a lot of exposure...though despite the locale still played union in school and after...

9 hours ago, cornish sam said:
15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Makes sense, I grew up near the west coast and later lived in leeds so had a lot of exposure...though despite the locale still played union in school and after...

Also, I've only been living in Cumbria in recent years, born and bred in Norfolk, where rugby was a mystery to me and the school I went to where it was all football.....at least until Mr, Dolding arrived as a games teacher who played for Norwich Rugby Club and we were made to play rugby in which I was constantly and gleefully flattened by larger and stronger lads who saw it as a good way of inflicting pain and dominance over the weaker kids.  No wonder then I have never seen rugby as a "sport for all".

Edited by lake district canary

12 hours ago, Hector Brockelbank said:

What do you do cd? I’m guessing odds compiler, risk manager or sports journalist?

Security Manager (Fraud, Risk, People Safety) for leading UK Bookmaker. 

Have had a couple of shares in horses over the last two years. 

Can't believe I had never contributed to this thread.

Participating: Too old for football. Golf. Running/Cycling

Watching: Local Rugby (Camborne), and most other sports apart from basketball/netball, horse racing and synchronised swimming