Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

What's you second sport?

I love football and I also closely follow cricket and boxing..However, since the days of the firs and the great Ove Fundin, I have always had a Passion for speedway.Watching those guys roaring round a speedway track at 50/60/70 mph with no brakes and on dirt still sends shivers down my spine. Those lads are a totally different breed to mamby-pamby footballers who roll about on the pitch at the slightest touch. Speedway riders are hurled to the ground at high speeds battered and bruised but still comer out five minutes later for the re-run. Broken bones, arms, legs collarbones, hands etc still won''t stop them, get some plaster on and back to the track two weeks later.Back in the day I loved it when we watched City play in the afternoon, then a stroll along Riverside, Barrack St, Magpie Rd, Aylsham Rd, getting chips on the way, a coke in the Boundary Buttery and then on to the Firs for the speedway in the evening. I still go to Kings Lynn occasionally and of course, watch it on TV whenever it''s on (Eurosport, Sky).What''s your second sport?

Remember all that.

For some reason Wal Morton (second time around) was my favourite.

I lived near the Firs and as a youngster was up there all the time, especially week-ends.

They had a cycle speedway track too.

Anybody who went to Heather Avenue Primary will remember games afternoons held in the middle, except when ''figure of eight'' had carved it up.

I still watch the occasional match on Sky.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Cider drinking[/quote]^^^This.I drank to county standard, in my younger days.

Baseball - went to Boston a few years aga and as we were there thought we''d go to a game. Absolutely loved it and have been watching ever since although with the large amount of games played it is a bit difficult to keep up !

Boxing for me - There''s something boxing does for me that no other mainstream sport can, and i can''t fully describe it.

I think elements such as:

Watching a fighter survive the end of a round from nearly being knocked out, to coming out and surviving yet more rounds only to plant a wicked shot and floor his opponent later in the fight really shows amazing mental and physical strength.

Watching a fight swing and change momentum from one boxer to another is fascinating, and of course the thought that someone could be knocked clean out at any second adds to that.

Also many boxers deserve huge respect for just turning their lives around, a proportion of them, even olympians, have come from some extreme backgrounds and ended up as world beaters who go on to lead incredibly successful lives.

I also love their personalities, or rather that you get to see their personalities as they are assessable unlike footballers who are pretty much damned if they open their mouths and discuss their real opinions in front of a camera. I will sit and watch the ifl tv youtube channel before checking Norwich news in fact.

For me this really helps form a bond with particular boxers, Darren Barker lifting the world title for example was hugely emotional.

We also get pretty decent fights in the region, and have over the years produced/hosted several high level fighters.

UFC for me doesn''t cut it so far, i think the restrictions in boxing make it a far more considered sport, and of course it comes with a huge legacy - once UFC has that and it matures i may get the same kick from it, who knows.

IceHockey for me, follow two teams, Spatra Prague & Stavanger Oilers. Been lucky to have seen a large number of games at both.

There''s not really much else to catch in the little corner of the UK, cricket & rugby are my next two UK based sports.

Played football, cricket and squash in my younger years. Enjoyed dog racing for many years and had dogs of my own but haven''t been in quite a while although I occasionally still watch it on Sky TV. Greyhounds are beautiful things.Got passionate about American football back in the eighties and regularly watch the NFL games. Green Bay Packers are my team thanks to my cousins who live in Wisconsin.I like to watch most sports and will happily watch Rugby and Boxing but can''t abide basketball or tennis.

NFL is my second sport - BIG Redskins fan. Also watch the NBA and support Washington Wizards.
I also participate in possibly the laziest sport on Earth, as I''m a licensed Scuba diver. Saw my first shark over the summer, diving the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand! Done approx 25 dives now and hoping to do my first cold water diving in Scotland next year. Want to see the wrecks of the Scapa Flow, and want to dive with seals at the Farne Islands [:D]

"I like to watch most sports and will happily watch Rugby and Boxing but can''t abide basketball or tennis."Same here, love all sports apart from those two !

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]"I like to watch most sports and will happily watch Rugby and Boxing but can''t abide basketball or tennis."Same here, love all sports apart from those two ! [/quote]Same here but will happily watch tennis and basketball and can''t abide rugby or boxing................vive la difference!

Right now.....Probably Football.

With Horse Racing first.

Im so bored of modern football and increasing bored of NCFC in the Premier League. I just want to be excited following City in League One and the Championshio is great but once in the Pre mier league its dull and predictable.

Its my dream to follow City away in Europe and there was a point in Hughtons term when we were flirting with 7th-8th I thought it coulf happen, appart from that the only other time ive really been excited is in the build up to RvW and what (with a 20-25 goal a season striker) we could go on to achieve.

Id love to do a Pompey and just for a couple of years have these exciting players and win an FA Cup (our day out at Wembley was fantastic but it was only a promotion and that squad so really have been in the top two anyway) even if it meant dropping back to league one shortly after!

Since Bellamy, Hucks and Holty weve not really had anybody with flair or personality, who made you excited to watch. Weve stuck with the safe abd boring Martin, Whittaker, Snodgrass, Jerome, Lafferty etc. I guess Mbokani could be that spark but the saga around the deadline day and delay singing him as taken some gloss off.

I love the racing and have travelled as far as LA and Dubai to watch, its incedible to see such a beautiful animal stride out and show a turn of foot to sprint at 40mph and making it look effortless. Back in Dubai this March for the World Cup!

[quote user="kick it off"]NFL is my second sport - BIG Redskins fan. Also watch the NBA and support Washington Wizards.

I also participate in possibly the laziest sport on Earth, as I''m a licensed Scuba diver. Saw my first shark over the summer, diving the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand! Done approx 25 dives now and hoping to do my first cold water diving in Scotland next year. Want to see the wrecks of the Scapa Flow, and want to dive with seals at the Farne Islands [:D]
[/quote]Did it whilst in the Navy, it was great overseas but then whilst in Plymouth I went diving out to see HMS Eagle that was being  decommissioned and empty out in the harbour, worsted experience ever - water freezing cold and water so mucky I couldn''t even see my hand in front of me! It put me off for life !  (Good luck up in Scapa Flow     )

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Also, why do people like Formula 1? I''d rather sand my own testicles than watch that nonsense.[/quote]

I quite enjoy Formula 1.Never tried the other thing though. Do you need special equipment and do you do it with a partner.just asking for a friend[:D]

I''ll watch just about any sport other than synchronised swimming.

Played cricket in the past. Nowadays I cycle a lot and do a few weights.

Along with my wife my main hobby is ballroom and latin dancing.

Love NFL and Cricket (only tests really though) and I will watch Rugby.

Slightly echo CD Mullins though- the way modern football is I''m finding it more and more difficult to get as excited as I used to. I still enjoy each game individually but if I ever look at the bigger picture it gets a bit rubbish. For most teams (us included) the most we can ever really hope for is 7th place and a cup run. I''d love to see us have a good go in the cups though- I''d take another day like our trip to Wembley this year over 5 years battling it out for 15th place.

I will try a list of sports in order of my passion/interest/non-contempt:

1 Cricket

2 Football

3 WWE (YES IT IS)

4 Rugby League

5 Rugby Union

6 Darts

18 Formula 1