Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Love in.

No NCFC football today so just thought I''d look in and see what Brighton fans are making of Chris Hughton. Some interesting comments, especially from a poster who is obviously a friend of CH.  http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?326996-Chris-HughtonNewcstle, Birmingham and now Brighton.  Makes you wonder even more why things went so badly for him at Norwich.

Does it really make you wonder?

My opinion changed very simply over 2 seasons. First season he sorted our defence and we still had Holty to score a few along with others to keep us up - so fair enough, job done.

Second season, he failed to sort out our attack and made no attempt to budge on the rigid, over defensive, isolating the lone striker mind set that was the grind (but forgivable) key aspect of his first season. It was also this plan A that more than likely made Holty look for pastures knew as he knew what was coming.

So no I don''t wonder why he got a hard time here. Yes he did well at Newcastle but then things went stale from the fans upwards. The Birmingham fans loved him as he achieved well on a small budget as he is now doing at Brighton.

Good luck to him.....but I''d never want him back.

He only has one way of setting a team up. It can be very effective at Championship level, because there''s very few players who can conjure something out of nothing or dribble round a deep, well drilled defence. He can control the game a lot more at that level as teams and players are much more predictable.

Unless he finds himself in change of a top team in the PL though he''ll always struggle to cut it in this league. You need to be more flexible for a start but his way of playing simply doesn''t account for individual brilliance from the opposition or mistakes from your own defenders and given how much we struggled to create anything let alone score under him it was a recipe for disaster.

He''s another Warnock/McCarthy great at that level, but he''s just not up to sustaining a bottom/mid table team in this league

Given the right set-up he can do well - he did for us in his first year, that ten game unbeaten run was brilliant. However, his work in the transfer windows undone his hard work with Wolf obviously a flop and Fer being fairly average across the season. I''ve no doubt that if Wolfie had have hit the ground running and been good for us he would have done better here. Sadly he had no other options (plan b), lost the confidence of everyone which led to our downfall. He''s a good manager, although his 87th onwards substitutions used to annoy me no end!

Glad to see Brighton doing well though. Why you ask? I have a few friends down there and have always liked them as a team

To be honest lakes, Hughton started here with a fantastic record and bought in a very talented Redders.......his first 6 months was outstanding and on par with AN.

We got to 21 points in quick time, had a ten game unbeaten run in the premiership the best by any of our managers in the premiership and we looked half decent.

Sadly that''s where it ends, after that we fell off a cliff in form and got out of jail towards the end of his first season and I really don''t want to think about the second season.....but it does beg the question what went wrong?

He did well for the first season, following Lambert was a hard shout as was keeping us up.

That latter meant that he was probably presented with the hardest job in the Premier League at the time and he achieved this by strengthening the defence.

The fact that he might even have kept us up there for the second season is food for thought. He would have made a better fist of it than Neil Adams did, IMO.

I am inclined to think that the abject failure of RVW contributed a lot to the ultimate demise of Chris Hughton at City. He had every right to expect more than just the one goal from his major signing but, having said that, his tactics didn''t help as well we know..

Never has a 10 game unbeaten streak felt less satisfying.

RVW absolutely DID hit the ground running, He didn''t have the life sucked out of him by the stiflingly boring game plan from the start.

Holt leaving ripped the cohesion and heart out of the team.

Brighton are unbeaten at 6 - 1 - 0 and yet their goal difference is only +6. He may be doing well but it''s not entertaining.

Well he more than done his job first season with us. I know the last two games boosted us but keeping us up that year wasn''t going to be easy.

But the following season was a massive failure. His desire to stick to one system didn''t help. The embarrassing clamour from our fans to play with two strikers was only made worse by Hughton obliging.

If I''m being totally honest he was under a lot of pressure which maybe he couldnt handle. The board were quite vocal in how we couldn''t and wouldn''t be relegated. Fan pressure was higher than for other managers because his style of play delivered nothing in the entertainment factor unless we won the game. Really, he just didn''t quite fit.

Let''s see if he can get them into the Premier League and then let''s see what he learned.  Hopefully he won''t blow millions of pounds on poor signings, neuter the team''s attacking instincts and get them to play one dimensional pedestrian "possession" football where not losing is the new winning.
Good luck to him at Brighton but I don''t think it will last.

He''s not a Premier League manager. Newcastle knew it and unfortunately eventually we did. If they go up, his fear of the division and caution ways will see them be strong relegation candidates.

[quote user="Indy"]To be honest lakes, Hughton started here with a fantastic record and bought in a very talented Redders.......his first 6 months was outstanding and on par with AN.

We got to 21 points in quick time, had a ten game unbeaten run in the premiership the best by any of our managers in the premiership and we looked half decent.

Sadly that''s where it ends, after that we fell off a cliff in form and got out of jail towards the end of his first season and I really don''t want to think about the second season.....but it does beg the question what went wrong?[/quote]

Think Indy sums it up nicely. Great first half of his first season, although some would argue he carried on from a team that comfortably stayed up the year before. After Christmas he lost his way, and never really recovered. The system got more and more defensive , and , well that''s been done to death.

He did of course sign Harry Kane. Whatever happened to him?