Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Mcgrandles

Recently I''ve been wondering what''s happening with our expensive Scottish youngster. I can''t help but think, especially as he''s never been loaned out that this Alex Neil quote relates to him.

“I think we also have enough experience through the group to bring the younger lads on and give them guidance going forward in their career.”

Does anyone have any news on Mcgrandles? - I''d hate for the player who cost more than Andreu have his career stalled here. He looked an amazing talent in Scotland and I hope he''ll be an AN masterstroke when he eventually starts playing.

He''s a prominent feature of our development squad, playing pretty much every game from memory and has certainly got better in each performance I''ve seen from him. He''s at that stage, along with Louis Thompson, where the best thing for him is game time - I imagine that like Thompson we''ll try find him a loan deal now the loan window is open.

I had initially thought that the appointment of Neil Adams as being responsible for loans was a bit jokey and more a sinecure than a real job.

Now it seems that this aspect of the Club''s business is really quite important.

Youngsters who are a bit away from the first team squad need meaningful competition to progress.

The likes of Andreu and Vo need game time as well.

Jesus forbid we ever follow Chelsea, who I seem to remember reading, have more than thirty players currently loaned out. I might be wrong but, if true, it would add a completely new dimension to the old fashioned art of running a professional football club.

If you look at the top clubs it has been happening for years. Loaning a succession of youngsters out at lower levels. The likes of Defoe have played further down the leagues to "learn the trade" so to speak.

When you look at how much Man Utd used to sell their youngsters on for if they didn''t make the grade for them. It''s every bit worth it. Both in the development of players, getting players competitive game time to get them up to speed and to add value to them should it be decided they don''t quite make the grade at this point in time.

He''s put in some good MOM performances for the U21s. I have no idea if I will make it for us though and I keep expecting to see him go out on loan. Expensive? Yes for a youngster but you have to balance that with the fact that we just sold a midfielder for 6m because he was surplus to requirements. That''s where we are as a club right now.