Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

"Decent" attendance last night

Kids for a quid and they got 18,500.... which is a "decent" attendance apparently.... Tinpot.
http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/355887/decent-attendance-last-night./#9

Not good by our standards, but, in fairness it was a televised evening fixture.

By no means defending them but, for a town their size it is decent by Championship standards and above the current average for that league.

It also has to do with the fact that they are now into their fourteenth season in the Chumps and therefore with years of the younger generation looking for a Premier League alternative. Apparently, there are a lot Spam supporters around there, whilst we will have picked up quite a few from the fringe areas of the county.

It can also be linked, IMO, to the discussion on here related to our present ground capacity being insufficient to supply demand and therefore us possibly using younger supporters as a result.

A pity that we can''t swap grounds (ie. capacities) as we constantly have a shortage of room by a few thousand whilst they have about 10, 000 empty seats each game.

If we survive this season I, for one, would welcome initiatives to increase the capacity of Carrow Road.

I''m not too sure what you mean by a town their size as my undrstanding is that they have almost exactly the same population size as us.

I always thought that ours was a lot bigger. Something about having to take the suburbs into account, which are not included in the Norwich ''census.''

To do with an urban density of 231, 000?

It''s usually when we come to visit. It''s sort of their cup final. So hopefully we can both get through the next round, and a game at their ground could give them another full house. And a job for someone having to oil all the empty seats that stay untouched for the rest of the time.

It''s a result of being in the same league for however many years. If our seasons were equally as dull then I am sure our attendance would slowly drop off as well. (If you look at the late 90''s - very early 00''s you will see our average attendance was dire)

Trent, whilst I fully accept your point about our poor attendances in the late 90s/early 00s that was actually nothing new. We weren''t attracting big crowds even when things were going really well in the early 90s. We challenged for the Premier League title in front of average crowds of just under 16,500! Can you imagine that now?!

The turning point in Norwich''s fortunes (attendance wise) appeared to be the playoff final season under Worthy. Since that season despite all the ups and downs we''ve never dipped under the 23,000 - 24,000 mark attendance wise. Despite only averaging gates about 16,000 prior to that season.

There was something about that season which changed the desire of people in Norwich and indeed the whole county of Norfolk to actually turn up and watch football. Despite the fact things didn''t end well for Nigel, he does deserve a huge amount of credit for helping to ignite the enthusiasm of people to watch football at Carrow Road.