Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Relegation - Could History be made this season

from the off there has been an assumption by many that the newly promoted sides would occupy at least one or two of the relegation places come the end of the season. Does this season provide the best opportunity to date though of all 3 promoted clubs staying up.The season is still very young but after the first 6 games [ and even if we lose today] the performances and points tally of the 3 promoted clubs is encouraging albeit all 3 have the potential a la Blackpool to crash and burn later in the season. set against this the dismal starts of Aston Villa, Stoke, Newcastle and Sunderland and that possibility becomes more possible. I do not see any other teams outside these 4 and the 3 promoted clubs being in a relegation scrap,although WBA may be the outside candidate. Stoke are struggling getting their new signings to gel and Newcastle have the same problem as well as being led by the wally with the brolly. Villa and Sunderland have been in the relegation mix for quite a few seasons now and look to be slowly getting worse rather than learning from their escapes. Time will tell but it would be great if all 3 promoted sides could stay up for a change, it does happen in the other leagues why not the premiership

After 12 games we will more or less know who is going down. We need to have more than a point per game by then or we will be in the mix.

Things will probably even out over the course of the season and we will probably see a situation where the bottom half of the table are all on a similar amount of points, making the end of the season a lottery for who stays up.  In that situation all three promoted teams could stay up, but it will be tough, given he battle hardened teams that are used to fighting it out near the bottom of the prem.  We should be ok with the manager and players we have, that is all that matters to me.   Let the rest fight it out.........

I believe I am right in saying that there is one instance in Premiership history of all 3 promoted teams staying up - the 2001/02 season when Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham all survived. It''s a very rare feat indeed but the way Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa in particular are looking then why not?

Ah, of course. I think that was erased from my mind because QPR were so fortunate to survive that year it was unbelievable!

[quote user="ricardo"]After 12 games we will more or less know who is going down. We need to have more than a point per game by then or we will be in the mix.[/quote]What, after 12 more games which at least takes us into the 3rd week of December or when every team''s played 12 only taking us into the first game of November? If it''s the latter we''ll all assume you''re a very wealthy man.

I remember a season where we were top 4 or 5 at Xmas and went down, so no complacency after dozen games for me with our run-in - but AN looks like he can get our lads fighting each week, so should be sorted. Teams we''ve played....Sunderland look set be in bottom group, Stoke woud have been even lower if Butland hadn''t played out of his skin..... lets see how we do against the Liverpools and Evertons...

I''ve thought for the last two or three seasons Sunderland were going down and yet they keep managing to pull undeserved escapes out of nothing so am refusing to write them off right now.

I do think people often overestimate the step up from the Championship and there is always a fair amount of dross in this league. Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa have all looked poor so far so I don''t doubt the three promoted teams have a good chance of staying up.