Sign in to follow this  
Stylish Canary

We should be thankful

Every time I go to Anfield I come back thankful we live in such a lovely place as Norfolk

The area is a hole the ground is a hole everything about the place and the city screams decay and past glory. In many ways like Ipswich I suppose

Whilst in general I''m always thankful of living in Norfolk I have to disagree slightly. Yes the area around the ground is run down and generally poor and the ground itself is not the best. My Daughter and I had a lovely day in the City of Liverpool, the docks, the tate, the shops were a surprise, the people were warm and friendly. This was my first visit to Liverpool as a City normally I am straight to Anfield or Goodison and as a result had a similar view of you of Liverpool, but walking around found some surprising architecture and as a result I shall be taking the wife for a long weekend asap. Sometimes it pays to step out of the football mode and take a walk further afield.

Thank you CB, saved me saying something very similar. Every town or city has its less salubrious areas, and Anfield happens not to be in the nicest part of Liverpool. The city as a whole has changed massively since I first went there thirty years ago, and if you can get past the lazy stereotypes, the people are in general fantastic. And the football club don''t need to put up customised welcome signs or dress the staff in Norwich tops, they will sell out whatever. I thought they were nice touches, along with friendly stewards.

Around the ground is a bit run down but Liverpool is a great City. We used the fact that we were playing in Liverpol to have a mini-break there (three nights, just back). It is an absolutely fantastic place and I really would recommend it - there is somehting for everyone. The area around the docks is a UNESCO designated World Heritage. There is some fantastic architecture from the last three centuries and brilliant museums that are free. Of course, the City is full of the Beatles and the 60s sound but there is also all the other bands that have stemmed from here and there is a real pride in its cultural heritage. The people are great and really friendly - we had a great time. Of course it''s not Norwich but where is....?

Been to Liverpool a few times, with Norwich, and to Everton games as a friend of mine is a fan.

I find the city jovial and surprisingly friendly.

Going on boozers in Matthew Street is always good fun. Some great Irish pubs halfway down the street.

Admittedly, the city has undergone big changes in 2008, I think, due to being selected as European City of Culture. Used to be far mote run down than it is now. At least the city centre and the docks is much improved.

Son is there at university. It''s a cosmopolitan city, architecturally and culturally rich. The people are spirited, kind and welcoming.

Strange that anyone should deride the place. Perhaps it''s a anti-northern bias thing....or a basis against people living simply or in poverty. The Sun did once ( or twice) famously of course.

Liverpool is a fantastic city full of great people, same goes for Norwich. Norfolk and Merseyside on the whole though are very dull, depressing places to live if you''re not based in the main cities.

I used to live in Yarmouth, what a horrible, awful fu(king place! I''d be surprised if anywhere in Merseyside is as bad as that cesspit.

Ipswich always gives me that ''Thank fu(k I don''t live here!'' feeling though and the surrounding areas are just as dull and dead as anywhere else in isolated Norfolk. Southwold and those sort of areas are nice, but you have to be a fricken millionaire to live there and the people are just awful snobs.

Living in Liverpool would be alright, we should be thankful we don''t live anywhere in Suffolk though!!!

Around the ground is pretty crappy, but the people were great i thought, talking to a few of their fans in the fanzine before the game, and talked all things football, and they are good and not up own backsides, biggest thing was 2 different ones told us that Liverpool fan never turn on the players or manager !

On the positive a good old fashioned club where the fans are still very much working class and passionate about there club.

The quietest I had ever heard anfield down to there current form and how well we played.

The docks area is brilliant. I visited The Beatles story and had a trip on the Mersey Ferry. There was loads to do there but I just ran out of time. Another trip in the future perhaps.