Sign in to follow this  
Stylish Canary

Tettey suspension

[quote user="Vanwink"]Well planned.[/quote]

Not so sure.  If he had planned it, surely he woud have made sure it was later in the game. Getting booked when he did risked the possibility of a second booking in the same game.  A booking on 89 minutes would have been safer.

I think the ref must be aware before the match who''s due a ban and whether a cup game is to follow. As long as the player doesn''t do anything too daft the ref will probably be happy to oblige with a yellow and keep it at that.

I was surprised it took as long as it did for him to get the yellow if I''m hones. Was involved in a few big early challenges.

Anyone know if he''s ever been sent off for us? He seems to be on a booking so often that you ironically have to praise his discipline for so rarely getting a second.

Thought he has been superb this season. He''s the big tackling engine that every team wants or needs.

Will be good to have him back on a clean slate again for the next PL match. However, I can see he will be having a two match ban in the near future for 10 bookings. Hopefully one will be a cup tie as well and also Mulombu will have returned.

Wouldn''t want Tetty to change his style of play over this.

I think he''s got to be more cautious after he gets a yellow card, and therefore a bit less effective.

I wonder if part of his thinking when he was backing away from Coutinho''s run (which was saved by Ruddy) was that if he committed any foul in that scenario it would probably have been a 2nd yellow.

Defo excellent planning overall to get the suspension for a game he would''ve missed anyway, and by the time he''s up to 10 yellows hopefully Mulumbu is back.

ICF you''re repeating something that annoyed me on the MOTD coverage. Tettey wasn''t backing away from Coutinho, he was covering the square ball. He knew that Ruddy would have to come out and close the angle for the shot but with a Liverpool player (Sturridge?) running up square of him had Tettey commited imself to the run a simple square ball and Liverpool have a tap in. In my opinion it was the correct defensive decision and forced Coutinho to try and beat Ruddy, which he thankfully failed to do...

Cornish - that''s how I see it too (as I''ve said on another thread), yes, he was closing off the square ball, it was intelligent defending and I''m glad someone else sees that the same way as me. But I wonder if he was also conscious that if he was penalised for any foul in that situation, it would be a second yellow almost without a doubt.

It was Ings. Sturridge was long gone by then.

I too pointed it out on another thread (the Mistakes? one). The lovely Alejandra concurred. I have taken it as a proposal of marriage. The ring''s in the post.