Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Lafferty

[quote user="Woodman"]would I play him or have him in the squad on Saturday? No. Reasons: Jerome, Mbokani, Hooper and possibly Grabban, now his suspension is over are all ahead of him at the moment. [/quote]Total goals this season - Jerome, Mbokani, Hooper, Grabban = zero (+ several sitters missed)Lafferty = 2 in 2 games.Always pick a goalscorer in form, or at least have him on the bench

I''m still gutted by that late equaliser (as I was obviously supporting Hungary), but trying to be objective about Laffs I must say that on basis of yesterday''s game I don''t see why he should be considered above CamJam, Hooper or even Grabban. For 92 minutes he was quite easy to take off technically he is not that good, although his fighting spirit and attitude is cannot be questioned. Hungarians were a bit stupid or trusted their own defence too much to allow NI so close with 10 men in injury time...

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]on basis of yesterday''s game I don''t see why he should be considered above CamJam, Hooper or even Grabban.[/quote]How about because he''s scoring goals at the moment & they aren''t.Goalscoring is all about confidence & belief.

The article with the opinion poll references a ''clinical edge'' - we haven''t really seen much evidence of this. NI play like Bolton used to under Allardyce - it''s very effective and Lafferty is one of the principle beneficiaries, picking up second balls, capitalising on mayhem in the box from corners and free kicks. We just don''t play like that. I''m all for giving him a chance since he is obviously in a good place mentally, but i don''t hold out much hope of him displacing the current line up of Jerome, Mbokani, Hooper, Grabban (when if he repairs relations)....

Making Plans wrote:

"Goalscoring is all about confidence & belief"

And the quality of the opposition. Yesterday he had to find an empty net from about 5 yards, by which he redeemed his match. He cartainly has a big heart, wheter that''s enough at PL standards I can''t tell. I''m not convinced (Group F is not the steeliest of the lot either...) But then what do I know? As NI seems to be cert to qualify now, it will boost KL''s value too, so perhaps it makes sense to give him game time and see how it goes. :)

I agree Budapest Canary - if you think back the their other "star" goalscorer David Healy, he was another who never ripped up any trees in domestic football, albeit he did well for Preston in the Champs as i recall. Similarly i think Lafferty could do well for a team like Preston now, but Premier league.

People keep saying "ooo look, he has scored goals for fun in international football" but actually, international football when you''re not playing the very top nations can be a shocking standard, far below Premier League football standard and even Championship standard when you''re playing the minnows. The only thing that will show if he''s good enough for us in the Prem is if he can hold down a place and score. Like eveyone i''m up for giving him a chance but i don''t fancy his chances of doing that.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Similarly i think Lafferty could do well for a team like Preston now, but Premier league ???

[/quote]

meant to be a question mark at the end of that sentence! Pleeeease can we have the edit button back mods?

Redeemed his match?,,he did not need to redeem himself by scoring that late goal, he had about no training through his knee injury, but his manager played him in 2 games in space of a few days,,,by virtue of just being on the pitch and loitering around up front he always keeps defenders occupied with his prescence. Understandably he was dead on his feet and Michael ONeill was ready to take him off when Hungary scored , so had to keep him on. The fact he scored to rescue a point for NI could be a huge important point for them in the long run.Laffs will never play like a graceful gazelle, he can sometimes appear a mite clumsy, but, like a stubborn mule, he never gives up, and more important he is scoring goals.  We had topic after topic  regarding RVW  and the pros and cons of his scoring record. But Laffs has 7 in 8 games for his country, and the latest goals when hes had no much training and zero time for his club. Bor compared Faroe Islands to Gorleston, that is just plain absurd, they may not be a Germany but these days they are a pretty good team, much above the likes of Gibraltar and San Marino. Besides you can only score whats in front of you.If Laffs stays around, not going out on loan, it gives Alex another option up front, and on his current form, a pretty good option.

I think he definitely deserves a chance! I''d much rather have him involved than Grabban. The times he''s played for us he''s been out of position. I''m not saying he''s the definite answer to our golascoring issues, but we''re not exact scoring for fun, and he''s proving for NI that he can score goals, so has to be worth a chance, even if its just in the cup to begin with. Always been impressed with his attitude never seemed to whing even when he was loaned out.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]Yesterday he had to find an empty net from about 5 yards, by which he redeemed his match. [/quote]CJ has missed 2 empty nets from 5 yards this season and so has Grabban (although one was given offside)I''m not saying Lafferty is a great player but at the end of the day, no matter who you are playing against, a striker has to hit the back of the net when he gets the chance, no matter how well, or how badly, he''s played for the rest of the game.

When we first bought Holt, from that mega house Shrewsbury, no one would have predicted the impact he would later make in the Premiership.

As has been said it''s all about confidence, and as has been said both CJ & Grabs have missed sitters. Doesn''t matter who the opposition is, if you get the chance you have to take them

You have to write off last season as he was played completely out of position, so I for one would like to see Lafferty given a chance in the sole striker position. He can do no worse than what we''ve seen this season! And he''s a striker in form!

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Woodman"]would I play him or have him in the squad on Saturday? No. Reasons: Jerome, Mbokani, Hooper and possibly Grabban, now his suspension is over are all ahead of him at the moment. [/quote]Total goals this season - Jerome, Mbokani, Hooper, Grabban = zero (+ several sitters missed)Lafferty = 2 in 2 games.Always pick a goalscorer in form, or at least have him on the bench

[/quote]So how does a player show he is in form if he is not played   And by the

same logic that you pick an in form goalscorer, he must continue to

score goals at the same rate or what is the difference between the two ?

As our strikers (with the exception of RVW) have failed to score in 5 competitive matches (4 league, 1 cup) so far this season, how many more matches do you give them?

I don''t think AN picks strikers based primarily on their goal scoring form. However stupid that may sound.

AN seems to like, someone who has pace, power and good link up play, up front.

http://www.espnfc.com/norwich-city/story/2602345/kyle-lafferty-to-shun-loans-and-fight-for-norwich-spot?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like he''s here to stay for now at least...

I would like to see him in the squad but hey what do i know as i don''t play Football Manager or have FIFA 16. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I would like to see him in the squad but hey what do i know as i don''t play Football Manager or have FIFA 16. [:P][/quote]Blimey Til, you''ll never fit in on here then...................[;)]

Look at his career, he has never scored more than 11 league goals in a season. There is very little evidence to suggest that he could be a regular scorer in the Premier League.

That being said, if we allow Gary Hooper out on loan his chance may well come.

Perhaps he has grown up over the last year and perhaps he could be useful. I would say he''s worth a chance off the bench. He did great for me on fm15 as well so would obviously do well irl..

AN has consistently started with one up front and two strikers on the bench. With the strength of our midfield, I doubt he would pick more than two strikers. I''m assuming that Mbokani''s work permit will be sorted by the weekend but he won''t be match-sharp enough to start, therefore I can only see Jerome starting. I would expect the two on the bench to be Hooper and Mbokani, as they are very different kinds of striker. Lafferty is different again, but more similar to Mbokani than Hooper, so I''d only expect Laffs to be on the bench if either Cam or Mbo are unavailable. Whether or not Grabban is reintegrated, I''d expect him to at least sit out the next game or two so Neil can assess his attitude.Don''t think Neil would go with Cam, Mbo and Laff as his three strikers in the squad, as that would leave us short on the skill/pace/mobility that Grabban and Hooper can bring.

I only recall seeing Lafferty playing in the lone striker''s role in a pre-season game last year.  Grabban replaced him as sub and frankly showed him how a striker should lead the line.  You could see why Neil Adams resorted to only playing Lafferty on the flank once the season started.While he''s undoubtedly a committed player with lots of spirit, who gets stuck in and has the bookings to match. He is also rather limited, clumsy and had a scoring record of something like 3 in 32 last season.  Put another way, Russell Martin has scored 2 in 4 this season, from centre back.As with RVW, we''d all love to see a renaissance with him banging in the goals. But as with RVW, it''s pretty unlikely.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Don''t think Neil would go with Cam, Mbo and Laff as his three strikers in the squad, as that would leave us short on the skill/pace/mobility that Grabban and Hooper can bring.[/quote]Hooper has pace & mobility?When was that?

Love to see players come good against he odds.  Would have been brilliant to see RVW stay and score a few for  us - same with Lafferty, but he''ll he''ll have to wait for his chance.  I think he''s moved a stage closer to at least being on the bench with his NI performances, but will have to take his chance when it comes.