Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Jerome competition heating up

Jerome should start to fear for his place now.

Grabban is not a worthy successor at the moment, But both Mbokani and Lafferty look to be in better shape and form, and I hope both Mbokani and Lafferty are included vs West Ham.

I guess Jerome will start, but he needs to start showing what he can do. Thought Jerome did nothing special vs Liverpool, albeit a difficult game for any striker, but he surely must feel the pressure now.

Dislike AN´s love-in with Grabban, as I dont think he offers us anything special, nor for the number 9 role, nor anything else either. Squad player at the moment.

Jerome has the shirt now, but it is his to lose, and he can´t be very far off losing it to Mbokani, with Lafferty waiting in the wings.

Would be delighted to be proven wrong, but I still don''t think Lafferty is a Premiership striker.One goal against a half arsed West Brom hasn''t convinced me.

[quote user="grefstad"]Jerome should start to fear for his place now.

Grabban is not a worthy successor at the moment, But both Mbokani and Lafferty look to be in better shape and form, and I hope both Mbokani and Lafferty are included vs West Ham.

I guess Jerome will start, but he needs to start showing what he can do. Thought Jerome did nothing special vs Liverpool, albeit a difficult game for any striker, but he surely must feel the pressure now.

Dislike AN´s love-in with Grabban, as I dont think he offers us anything special, nor for the number 9 role, nor anything else either. Squad player at the moment.

Jerome has the shirt now, but it is his to lose, and he can´t be very far off losing it to Mbokani, with Lafferty waiting in the wings.[/quote]

Ii don''t think it is about fear.  It is about being a footballer with people giving you competition for your place - something every footballer needs imo.    The reason SAF did so well at Man Utd was because the players knew that if they didn''t perform they would be out of the team.  SAN apparently has a similar no nonsense approach to things - and the players know they have to give their utmost or they will not be in the team.  Jerome has done nothing wrong, but he needs to be at his best every time he goes on the pitch.  I don''t know what he was like over 90 minutes at Anfield, but if AN thinks he did enough, there is no reason to drop him.  But he has three players breathing down his neck. That can only be a good thing.  The more competition for places there is, the better.

Dont think we can judge Grabbans prem theat from last nights game where he was trialling as a wes alternative in the whole in a 4231.    I would put jerome clearly ahead of grabban,   mbokani will be persevered with as his fitness and tactical understanding of whats needed improves and lafferty did all he could in 15 mins - and it probably stays in that order.  

None have yet shown they can be prolific at this level,  with Mbokani the one most open to improvement furing the season

Lafferty looked sharp and determined to prove himself, but there can be no denying that his performances to date have been pretty poor. He is certainly benefiting from ANs strong man-managment skills.

Too early to judge Mbokani, did get an assist which is a positive.

Jerome has been very unlucky, a goal wrongly ruled out and a point blank save in the final minutes against Stoke. He could and should be sitting on 1 more goal at least this season.

For me he is doing all that is right and needed. I do feel mbokani is going to get goals, lafferty can come on as can grabban.

But starting role should be with Jerome and/or Mbokani