Sign in to follow this  
Northern Yella

Squad Size

What is becoming increasingly obvious to me is that due to City''s very small squad size (17 outfield players) we probably need to make at the very least four signings. This means that we can''t bring in players like Kris Commons unless clubs drastically start lowering their asking prices. As even if Worthy has 2.5 mill to spend (which is highly debatable) then once signing on fees and wages are taken into account thats about 1/2 mill a player which isn''t very much!

So its not that we are broke, its just that we have quite a few areas to strengthen, but not a huge budget to play with.

Thoughts?!

I agree with Northern Canary. We need pace on the right and we need a central midfielder with vision and passing ability. At the moment our central midfield consists of the defensive Safri, and two energetic runners in Jarrett and Francis.From all accounts Worthy seems determined to add a third energetic runner in Andy Hughes.

I am concerned that when we were in this division before whenever we played 4-3-3, scoring goals was not a problem, but conceding was. We also seemed very dependent on attacking by Hucks speed, and despite what Worthy said penetration by a passing game was rare.

We may be short of money.(although why?), but we need four or five players to cover injuries. What we don''t need are five squad players who would not be good enough for the Premiership, or is that on the back burner now?

Worthy is aware of our needs,

I think what he has learned from last year is not to buy in haste (Doherty maybe) and then regret for the rest of the season.

Does anybody know if we now have the smallest squad in the fizzy pop league? It''s a certainty that we dont have the biggest.

i believe that we are all getting for too worked up about this.

The squad is small but if the main core of the team manages to stay generally fit then the youngsters can make up the numbers every now and then. Remember that hendo used to play right wing for a big part of the season.