Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v WBA

There were a lot of empty seats tonight when I arrived and the numbers in the Snakepit in particular looked as though they could fill a double decker bus and leave room for standing.It was a dull old opening with barely anything of note in the early minutes although as the half wore on City began to dominate possession. The game sparked into life after about 20 minutes when Rudd was finally called into action clutching a corner under severe pressure. As the game swung to the other end Mbokani turned well but his shot was high and wide. The big striker was showing up well with some good hold up play and intelligent use of the ball. Most of City''s danger was coming down the left flank where Olsson and Jarvis combined well but although a couple of inviting crosses came over, nobody could get on the end.City worked a really good chance just after the half hour when Mbokani laid on an opening for O''Neil to strike a low shot against the foot of Lindegaard''s left post. The ball rebounded nicely for Elliot Bennett  but his first time stab was dragged well wide with the goal gaping. There had been little from West Brom who seemed content to keep it tight and restrict City to very few chances. The talking point for me at halftime was mainly about Mbokani who had shown more than enough to see that he was going to be a real asset.The Baggies had their best period in the opening quarter of the second half when a Gardener 30 yarder skipped just wide and then Howson, who had come on for Dorrans, did brilliantly to defend a dangerous cross from Lambert. Wes came on for Grabben on the hour and it was good to see the erstwhile bad boy get a decent round of applause. The move immediately sparked a goal although it wasn''t Wes that was the instigator. Mbokani had almost opened things up with an astute pass to Olsson only for his hard low cross to just avoid the in rushing Bennett. Seconds later an even better pass from the big man bisected two defenders and gave Jarvis a shot at goal which cannoned off the bar and into the net. It was no more than City deserved and the continued to come forward in numbers.With a quarter hour left Mbokani left to great applause and Lafferty was given a long awaited run out. The Baggies were still pressing for an equaliser and twice in quick succession were narrowly denied. First by Bennett''s superb tackle and then by a flying save from Rudd. City needed a second goal to kill the challenge and when Howson found Laffers with a neat pass on the halfway line, the Irishmen held off two defenders and slipped the ball past the advancing keeper.At last it was comfortable and we were treated to some lovely interplay between Wes and Jarvis before another break saw Wes find Howson on the left and his low cross seemed to cannon off Laffers and a defender before nestling in the net. Game set and match and a very satisfying result for the 19k that turned up.Lots of contenders for MOM, I''''m giving mine to Mbokani for a masterclass of leading the line although there are very high marks for Seb, Wes, Laffers, Jarvis and Johnny Howson and not forgetting Rudd who never put a foot or hand wrong. .

I really enjoyed the game Rickyyyy. It was nice to see an honest Cup performance and the fans appreciated it. I don''t want to take anything away from that but it has to be said WBA were the opposite. There were times when they just appeared to give it up. One occasion in the first half we won the ball from their forwards and three of them just stood and watch us break. If this is how they perform in the league then Iwould put a thick wedge on them to be relegated. But does Pulis take these games seriously?

Really encouraging evening with pretty much every fringe player giving a performance which suggests they could ease into the Premiership line up and do a good job. Have said it already but we have a much better squad than people give it credit for.

Thanks for the report.  Seems like we have a team worthy of doing well in the cup.  Don''t care if WBA weren''t up for it - we could easily have been the same - as in previous seasons against the likes of MKDons etc.   Bodes well for future rounds, because we plainly have a very, very good squad in depth.

Good report Ricardo.   For me the positives hugely outweighed the negatives from an in control performance - and demonstrating some strength in depth.

The goods

O''Neill - best cm on display last night,  outworking and outpassing both dorrans and howson,  perhaps showing what that little extra that pair need to offer

Jarvis - showing his quality, directness and pace

Bassong - in control at the back

Rudd - great back up

Wessi - love this mans attitude;   still making himself available seeking the ball and space in the 93rd minute deep in his own half to help out  the defence;  and was the key to breaking down as dour WBA

Lafferty - took his chance well

Ryan B - comfortable evening with his superb tackle rescuing his Stevie Gerrard delusions for raking long distance cross field passes.  

Wisdom - solid performance confirming we have an option for whittaker at right back

Howson & Dorrans - classy as always;  solid,  however both always leave me wanting that little bit more

The undecided

Mbokani - looked a little lost at times but most players take a few games to settle into Neils style and language may hinder that?     However looks great in the air if we can get crosses to him and his assist was good as anything wes et al have provided from cm.    Did look more heavily right footed than wes is left dependent. 

The disappointed

Elliot Bennett - simply strikes me as the nearly man. Heart is there but just quality just not there

Thought Bassong was outstanding (Jarvis too, and Wes and Howson when they can on). Personally, wouldn''t have risked Bassong. Hate to imagine what would happen in the PL if he is injured.

Forgot to mention Grabban - in the disappointed column for me;  thought he worked hard and will remain striker choice no 2 at the moment but wherever we play him in future wont be off the striker as a substitute wes;   it seemed he didnt get the role and his touch was not good enough for that role either.  

I have to say that I am very surprised that so many people didn''t see what I saw in Mbokani''s performance last night. I thought his strength on the ball and his hold up play was at an entirely different level to anything we have seen from our present crop of strikers. A couple of examples in the first half where he set up Dorrans who hit a post and a little later, Wisdom who screwed it wide from a good position. He was always looking to receive the ball and mostly made very good use of it when he got it. His close control and all round general play were on another level in comparison with Jerome or Grabban.In the second half his quick thinking lay off to Olsson could easily have ended in a goal and his superb picking out of Jarvis was in fact the goal that won the game. Against a tight Albion defence there was very little for any goal poacher until late in the game. Lafferty came on and took his goal well but it was against a tiring defence that had already committed itself forward in search of an equaliser. Yes, Lafferty did well late on but I doubt that he has the attributes to play the lone striker roll that we saw in abundance from Mbokani last night.Jerome is rightly the man in possession at the present time but I''m expecting to see much more of Mbokani in the coming weeks.

A+ for the report as usual Ricardo. Regarding Mbokani, he seems to be everything I''ve been hoping for. this is dangerous, of course, because you inevitably view such a player with rose tinted specs., but as soon as he powered his way in on goal against Bournemouth, & then did his utmost to force the ball into the net, my hopes appeared vindicated. His assist last night was top class.

Yes, it''s very early days, but some players just have a ''look'' about them. I think he''s got it.

I have to say don''t be too disappointed Ricardo about some of the reaction to Mbokani, there will alays be a few who expect any signing to be an instant hit.

We all have to remember this guy has to adapt to a new culture, a new language (speaks no or little English)but yet shows great signs.

Last night we saw an excellent performance which showed us he certainly brings a lot to enhance our squad, and he will be vying with Lafferty for the 2nd striker spot IMO. We also saw great MOM contenders last night from Rudd, Bassong, Howson and Jarvis, with the sponsors rightly selecting Bassong, again IMO, but your assessment of Mbokani gets agreement from me.

[quote user="ricardo"]I have to say that I am very surprised that so many people didn''t see what I saw in Mbokani''s performance last night. I thought his strength on the ball and his hold up play was at an entirely different level to anything we have seen from our present crop of strikers. A couple of examples in the first half where he set up Dorrans who hit a post and a little later, Wisdom who screwed it wide from a good position. He was always looking to receive the ball and mostly made very good use of it when he got it. His close control and all round general play were on another level in comparison with Jerome or Grabban.In the second half his quick thinking lay off to Olsson could easily have ended in a goal and his superb picking out of Jarvis was in fact the goal that won the game. Against a tight Albion defence there was very little for any goal poacher until late in the game. Lafferty came on and took his goal well but it was against a tiring defence that had already committed itself forward in search of an equaliser. Yes, Lafferty did well late on but I doubt that he has the attributes to play the lone striker roll that we saw in abundance from Mbokani last night.Jerome is rightly the man in possession at the present time but I''m expecting to see much more of Mbokani in the coming weeks.[/quote]

Whilst I agree with you on Mbokani''s strengths I thought he held the ball up, laid it off and then stayed where he was rather than trying to get in the box on the end of things. I know the lone striker role is all about the former two but he needs to add the the third imho.

Good report Ricardo and saw things the same way for most events. You did omit Ryan Bennett''s perfectly timed last gasp tackle when McClean was through one on one with Rudd, which, at 1-0, proved to be game saving. Our views from the River-end must have been different when it came to Mbokani though. I thought Jarvis was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch last night and will be missed on Saturday. And although he was a handful in the air and played a lovely one-two for the goal, I thought at times Mbokani was a little predictable. As CUSDP said it looked like everything was on his right foot, including using his outstep for the nice through pass to put Jarvis clean through. I think at 29 it''s probably a little late for him to work on being comfortable using his left foot, but I do agree with you that he looks like he can be a useful addition to the squad. He has more to prove though before I would think of dropping CamJam.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Good report Ricardo and saw things the same way for most events. You did omit Ryan Bennett''s perfectly timed last gasp tackle when McClean was through one on one with Rudd, which, at 1-0, proved to be game saving. Our views from the River-end must have been different when it came to Mbokani though. I thought Jarvis was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch last night and will be missed on Saturday. And although he was a handful in the air and played a lovely one-two for the goal, I thought at times Mbokani was a little predictable. As CUSDP said it looked like everything was on his right foot, including using his outstep for the nice through pass to put Jarvis clean through. I think at 29 it''s probably a little late for him to work on being comfortable using his left foot, but I do agree with you that he looks like he can be a useful addition to the squad. He has more to prove though before I would think of dropping CamJam.

[/quote]Er, I don''t believe that I didsee paragraph 5.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Thanks for the report.  Seems like we have a team worthy of doing well in the cup.  Don''t care if WBA weren''t up for it - we could easily have been the same - as in previous seasons against the likes of MKDons etc.   Bodes well for future rounds, because we plainly have a very, very good squad in depth.

[/quote]Didn''t you go? Oh that''s right..

Lessingham Canary wrote:

(speaks no or little English)

Chip 20 wrote

Nor, indeed, Scottish.

No probably not, but he will soon learn what a "Glesga Kiss" is, if he doesn''t follow Sir Alex''s instructions.

:-P

Nice report! Although, don''t agree with the Mbokani as MOTM. For me, it was between Jarvis or Bassong. Jarvis was incredible, everytime he got the ball, everyone expected something - a little Huckerby-esc.

Bassong was immense also. Read the game so well - easily our best defender. Ryan Bennett was good also, brilliant last ditch tackle to deny McClean and barely put a foot wrong.

Mbokani held the ball up well, and I''m not sure whether it was due to a lack of English, but he didn''t seem to release the ball quick enough. But looked like a decent , strong player. Real asset this season!