Sign in to follow this  
Blainsey

Does Worthy know what he is doing in the transfer market? Your opinions

With all the transfer speculation going on at the moment, now is an ideal time to pause and reflect on Worthy''s signings since he took over all those years ago.

With a big debate seemingly ongoing about whether or not Andy Hughes would be a good signing what are your thoughts about Worthy in the transfer market?

What do you think of his signings? Whilst some have prospered (hux, drury) there have been many who have not made an impact - (easton, rivers).

What do you think of our signings since he took over?

Is he astute in the market, or perhaps a bit naive?

OTBC

he is very good with signing imo. His signings inspired the promotion season and almost kept us up (hux et ashton).

Worthy never draws too much attention to his targets so nobody swipes them away.
He always says he has no money so nobody can rip him off.
All the signings so far are good.

main criticism - he is too slow with the signings

He''s made some very good signings and some poor signings. But he could never get every decision 100 per cent correct as he''s only human. I have to say there are a few better managers out there, but not very many. What would Fergie, Wenger, Mourinho etc, be like without vast transfer funds? One of the best managers in the world IMO is Martin (The Messiah) O Neil. It''s a great pity he wasn''t at Carrow Rd long enough to work his magic. If I was on the board of one of the big clubs, I would be moving heaven and earth to bring him in as manager.

Worthy and transfer dealings, hmm?.

For me, its a bit like his record as a manager, one minute stunning (Hucks, Ashton and Francis) the next minute awful (Doherty and Brennan) So whilst he''s done well, there is I believe, room for improvement.

But then again, as a pirate of the east coast, I''m never satisfied.

By and large I think Worthy is quite good in the transfer market. No-one can really argue with the signings of hux, ashton, drury and it leon. The scandinavian players didn''t really work out, but worthy can''t really be blamed - surely everyone thought that helveg and jonson would be terrific players instead of mediocre.

He also has to try and convince players to move all the way to norwich unless they are fairly local already (hence leon and drury moving from peterboro). Many players don''t want to uproot their families and often seem to take moves which don''t require a move of house. We lost out on players, even as a prem team because they wanted to stay in the midlands or wherever.

However, Worthy does seem a bit slow sometimes and on occassions, ashton aside, he seems to be overly cautious with his cash (however much it may be).

Hopefully he really does have some irons in the fire and will give us 3-4 signings to get us excited come the start of the season.

:

Interesting opinions,

Signings I feel have done well:

Ashton, Huckerby, McKenzie, Francis, Holt, Drury, Safri, Edworthy, Nielsen

Signings that have not done so well:

Libbra, Brennan, Jonson, Helveg, Emblem, Doherty, Crichton, Briggs, Charlton,

any others i have missed out?

[quote]Interesting opinions, Signings I feel have done well: Ashton, Huckerby, McKenzie, Francis, Holt, Drury, Safri, Edworthy, Nielsen Signings that have not done so well: Libbra, Brennan, Jonson, He...[/quote]

Heckingbottom - another of his signings he seemed to totally forget about.

I think Svensson did very well for us and helped us get promotion and made the race to stay up last a little longer.

I think Brennan is distinctly average. Don''t forget Gallagher. And Zema Abbey.

As everyone recognizes, he has made some marvellous buys and some awful ones.

It is difficult to know how far his actions are dictated by very tight budgets. There are signs that he has been very constrained by the club at times, in a lack of budget. He has even asked them for more in coded public utterances.

He seems to be very persistent, but persistence can lead to trouble - he left himself in a hole when Primus didn''t come last summer, and perhaps rather rushed into the purchase of Doherty. He left things generally late and then found Helweg and Jonson. Persistence worked with Huckerby, but it doesn''t always work!

I think that many fans are concerned this year that money is too tight, some good players we could have done with have gone elsewhere, and we fear that at the end the attempt to obtain as many as possible for a pittance or on free will mean some more desperate buys and produce only squad players, rather than one or
two who will make a real difference in the quality of their play. Ah well, there''s always the January window!

So far he has obtained three players very cheaply, - just their wages, and must be congratulated. But we shall be lucky if he obtains three or four more for very little, if they turn out to be impressive and "match winners".

Major pluses - Safri, Ashton, Charlton, Bentley, Huckerby
Minor pluses - Edworthy, Svensson, Francis
Minuses - the rest

But that''s football managers for you - Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, George Burley - useless, the lot of them.