Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Right Winger needed?

Sorry, misread a previous post - thought it said right whinger, so was gonna suggest 1st Wizard

lol. Personally, I can''t understand why anyone goes into the new season down about their team. Every footie fan whether supporting Grimsby or Cambridge has some air of optimism – unfounded or not – about the new season. That''s why we love this game. How fantastic would it be for one our home-grown academy players stepping up and seizing their opportunity as Shackell did last season. Providing the boo boys don''t get to them first!

Paul, allow me to explain.

We ended the season with the record number of goals conceded, something like TEN more than any other club. We didn''t manage a single away win.

We finished the season with a SIX-NIL defeat when we desperately needed to win.

Our manager persisted in playing players who were not performing, until the last 6 games of the season when the damage had already been done.

We have lost a lot of players and not gained too many.

Our manager persisted in playing players he bought out of position.

Our manager bought some very promising players (Doherty, Helveg, Charlton) then proceeded to fall out with them and leave them on the bench or in the stands.

We haven''t played good football (except the Utd game) since May 2004.

I personally am looking forward to the twists and turns of the new season, but I can''t just forget what I saw last year. I''m afraid it does worry me somewhat.

[quote]Paul, allow me to explain. We ended the season with the record number of goals conceded, something like TEN more than any other club. We didn''t manage a single away win. We finished the season with ...[/quote]

Very promising players - Doherty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yer avin a larf

[quote]Sorry, misread a previous post - thought it said right whinger, so was gonna suggest 1st Wizard[/quote]

That''s quite funny Dicky.

Sorry, but if you speak to any Spurs fan (and living in London for a fair while I spoke to more than enough) they will tell you he was awesome until the confidence crisis struck.

I know that doesn''t sound too good, but at 25 he has great potential if guided correctly and taught well. And Worthington is good with defenders usually.

I didn''t see him do too much wrong, apart from the odd challenge on his own players(!). He looked composed, read the game well and had much better distribution than Fleming or Shackell. He''s great in the air (we have missed Malky at Set pieces) and against Liverpool our only chances were Doc headers. I would love to see him line up with Shackell or Charlton for a good few games and bed into the team. Then we may see him at his best.

… or looking at the glass half full.

We were two points away from safety despite spending hardly any outlay on the team; we have 20,000 season ticket holders in a rejuvenated Carrow Road that sells out week in week out; probably more financially sound than we have been for any time in the last decade at a time when a majority of Premiership/ Championship teams have massive debts and no way of paying them back; the emergence of a young centre-half who more than held his own in the Premiership; a young centre-forward who more than held his own in the Premiership; a young goalie who – despite still having a lot to learn – earned an England cap in the summer; a majority share holder who has the interests of the club at heart rather than making a quick buck; a manager who is learning by the season and took a mediocre championship side into the Premiership! Seriously, it hasn''t been this good for the club for a long time – and we are in a better situation of regaining promotion than we were a couple of seasons back [with another three weeks to strengthen on what we already have].

I can''t wait to get back to Carrow Road and support the team I grew up with – while all the Hammer-supporting cabbies around my neck of the wood moan and groan about Pardew not splashing the cash - when they were a season away from financial meltdown – and are a loss away from booing their team off the field again, week in, week out despite scraping into the Premiership. Be positive, because no one else will.

Roll on August 6 and that Barclay End sunshine!

Nice post Paul. This message board contains some of the biggest whingers i''ve ever known. Can you name any other team in the Championship who have a better run club than us?!! I can''t

Would you rather we be owned by yanks? Russians? have to have some chinese players in the team because our sponsor is chinese based?!

Deadly Doug as chairman? Peter Ridsdale taking the club under? Norwegians buying the club and then selling it? How many players we have sold so far this season will be missed exactly??

Svennsson, scored a few goals, but was injured a fair bit.

Helveg, Injured, and very erratic in his form

Jonson, didn''t score a goal for us

Get a grip City fans!!! 

Hey Paul, great to see someone with a positive attitude and outlook like myself. All the points you have made are great, I also cannot believe how many people on here slate Worthy. What has our young manager done which is so awful? We all say lets give Jarv and Hendo a chance as they are young and still learning, the same could be said for Worthys management career. Get behind the boys as I am certain that we will have the best squad in the Championship by the beginning of the season and WHEN we get promoted we will still have all the players who were good enough to stay up last year minus the ones who weren''t and money to spend as we won''t be going up needing some of the money to cover debt. ON THE BALL CITY!!!!!!!!!!

Hang on Pottsy.

If we all say "give Jarvis and Hendo a run", then surely Worthy isn''t doing something right?

Flem, Holt, Helveg, Svensson, Francis etc etc etc all get rollockings from us lot when they don''t do their job right. Why does the same not apply to our manager?

NCFC is, as has been clearly pointed out, a very well run club with unbelievable support and s first team that would be the envy of most other teams in the division. However, the concern is that with only 16/17 outfield players on the books when a club in our position should have at least 22 to cope with the rigours of the Championship, all the above plus points could amount to nought if and when injuries & suspensions bite. At one point last season Norwich had 6 or 7 players injured - with the current squad that would leave us unable to field a team. I do believe that Nigel & his staff will be doing a great deal of work behind the scenes but the numbers required to get close to a full squad are very worrying as I estimate we will need a further 5 or 6.

I also agree that Dicky''s post was excellent.

PS From another post concerning 1st Wiz and The Crown by the seaside - does that make you a Sheringham Bor Wiz?

[quote]Hey Paul, great to see someone with a positive attitude and outlook like myself. All the points you have made are great, I also cannot believe how many people on here slate Worthy. What has our young ...[/quote]

I''ll second that